Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 02:44:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Those bloody yanks, cant unnerstan plain english!  (Read 2158 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: December 03, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »

I thought Id post this here as well to compliment the Certificate 3 course in all things Aussie that is currently runnin in this section. See how much good the Strine module has done.

Had the first of the work Xmas parties today followed by barefoot bowls.

After a nice bit of tucker and a few sherbets we headed outside whereupon I watched the team sending a few down coached by the local volunteer pervert and he had his work cut out. The guts of the joint was full of two wheelers having a gay and hearty for one of them with a bit tread off, but our team had a few nice brace and bits amongst it so it was no contest for him.

I tried my best to get into old fart mode, sat there and called wide, complained about the zephyr and the state of the track, but I had to give in for the sake of the team.

Didnt sort em, didnt weigh em, didnt look at em, did it all on feel and Jack High as usual. I sent the first one down forehand, , to get the lay of the land that was that artificial caper so I let the clutch out and it was a bit heavy, but beautiful. Sent down the next backhand to have a crack at the turn and pulled up short.

Now the third has to be on the money, my reputations at stake here, so is yours Cracker my online coach. Great lessons they were, I will never forget them. The boss was using Magpies so I thought of you, it seems all was against me. The coves were having a ball because the two wheeler boss of mine had arsed a beauty and they were all trying to blow it out of the water, sending down boulders while the coach was trying to take his gaze away from one particular lemonade and sars with vatican cities to match. Now I know why the flag was at half mast, it was I kid you not. Another barefoot coach pickle and pied due to having a gander at the visiting wildlife.

I told the crowd that my orchestras are at stake thats a monty, but I also want to be at work next week.

The boss`s was a bees dick shy and ruling out the tally ho all guns blazing approach.

There is politics involved here, cant beat the bosses shot, cant lose face. So I sent it down for a nice miss I hoped via the scenic route. Started out to the right disected two wayward orchestra stalls belonging to the camp next door and came in spinner with a nudge of her magpie that left me with no choice but to call for the stewards.

Happy to report that it was given to the Boss by a short half head to the roars of the crowd and the ringing of the till in my pocket.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 11:02:42 PM »

Duh?Huh?
Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 11:52:38 PM »

Just as a word of explanation, we do use the term Yanks here as a way of referring to all our North American cousins, without disciminating between north or south.  It is not meant to be abusive; it is just our way of talking.  Most of us have a poor command of history, american history included, and to us Yanks is just descriptive of the origin of the person being anywhere in North America.  It is much the same as Down Under is used to refer to our location.  I have a friend who lived in NC who told me to be careful using the word though, as it can be considered offensive by americans.  We do not mean it that way.

I'll leave the rest of the interpretation to our Micko.

Lone
philinacoma
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:10 AM »

I understood, Mick... But then again I'm not a yank!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »

some from the south might take momentary offense, but they'll get over it  smiley.  anyone else that thin skinned isn't worth worrying about.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 12:48:03 AM »

I could be wrong (it happens - I know, huh?), but I came to understand Yonquis to be a Huron indian word for "white folk" - changed to yankee over time; a geographical nickname out of a description of race. (so what?) Wink
 - Now I have the song "yankee doodle" stuck in my head.

be happy and make others happy.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »

I came to understand Yonquis to be a Huron indian word for "white folk" - changed to yankee over time;

I heard that it was because the original folks in New York were Dutch, so the english called them all "Jan" (dutch for john, pronounced "yahn"), and the dutch like their cheese, so they were degradingly called "Jan cheese".  The dutch must have thought it funny, so turned around and called the english that too, and it stuck with a little spelling variation. But then I'm dutch (if you're not dutch you're not much!!)

Strine...Ebonics...just strange dialects for now.  Give them a few years.....

Rick
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 09:34:12 AM »

I don't know what game you were playing, but it sounds like fun, Mick.

Lone, don't fret the small stuff. Nobody is guaranteed to not be offended in life. I'm from NC and I've been called much worse things than yank.  Wink

If it bothers someone, It's a problem with them, not with our "down under" friends.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
ziffabeek
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 10:32:50 AM »

When my boyfriend and I traveled to New Zealand, I warned him about the use of "Yank".  He (born and bred southern gentlemen) said "Well, they'll only call me that once!"  Of course, it was all in fun and he always just smiled when they called him that.   Southern pride is really only understood by southerners Smiley.

John Lee Pettimore
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 11:01:03 AM »

Southern pride is really only understood by southerners Smiley.

Well said.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams.

Yappy
House Bee

"Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 04:45:47 PM »

Annette, the game is Bowls which is English Lawn Bowling. Played in Sports Clubs, a all in one Conplex that you join to get cheap food, place bets, slots, rug-rat minding, bowls, drink and party. grin
I really wish that BC would allow those type of Clubs too. angry
If  I missed any feature, an down-side mick can fill in the blanks for our Yankee and Rebellious neighbors evil.

... Rob
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »

Ok now I understand the post.  Sounds like fun!!
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2009, 03:14:32 AM »

You are all yanks to me.

We picked it up for WW1 and WW2, the Yanks are coming, overpaid, oversexed and over here was the catch cry during WW2.

Just as the term Bastard is a term of affection down under, so too little bugger for that matter, Yank is the same.

philinacoma
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

Just don't mention the rhyming slang for the term Mick!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next