Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 23, 2014, 01:29:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They banned Jumps Racing here today.  (Read 532 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: November 27, 2009, 02:11:04 AM »

After 200 years or so, Racing Victoria has given in to the hysterics and banned all forms of horse race jumping. There were 8 horses killed last year in falls which was the catalyst.

The real problem was caused by racing Victoria itself. Hurdles went from 6 foot tall where horses had to actually jump, speed really wasnt an issue, to a mad half sprint where hurdles were 3 foot tall with the top foot just brush. So horses lose their footing and break their necks or legs.

Its just another part of Austayan kulcha down the gurgler.

Little John_NC
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »

I go to Camden South  Carolina for the Cup races there. They have 4 I think 6 foot jumps . The one that gets me is the 5 foot with the water hazard right behind it .Never fails a horse gets hurt. The last few races they had more Jockey hurt than horses.

The polo fields are about a mile south of the cup races. That much more interesting to me than the cup races. Teams from all over the world compete there. When I lived in Camden I volunteer as a winder (walking the ponys after a chukker) . Each rider has 7 horses . There are few injury on the field.
 Gen. George Patten played with the US army Polo team there in the 20's. Annie Oakley also done shows there with her riding and shooting skills.

Little John

"The flags of the Confederate States of America were very important and a matter of great pride to those citizens living in the Confederacy. They are also a matter of great pride for their descendants as part of their heritage and history."
Winston Churchill

Quote from chronicle of  Marcus Lucanus of the Roman civil war: Caesar said :
"Here I abandoned peace and desecrated law; fortune it is you I follow. Farewell to treaties. From now on war is our judge!
Caesar men cheered :
" Hail Caesar! We who are about to die salute you!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 10:42:09 AM »

eventing has never been as popular here as in other countries, but the same folks have tried to stop other equestrian sports.  for years they have been after horse racing.  had to deal with the nuts a couple of times when i was cutting.  it's another one of those agenda things.  they can't get the whole pie at once, but they can take big bites out of it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next