Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 10:07:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If you could play all day, what would ya do  (Read 3397 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »

Oh I love these posts, as said, each one has a special thought to it.  Each of you has taken us deep into the soul, things that we love to do, things we love to see, so special and so sweet, no matter what it is.  We are a family here, a family that has been brought together through this forum, speak of it as Brothers and Sisters, and it is so good to know each one of you, just a little more up close and personal, it is cool, and I am grateful that I have started this thread, beauty......have that lovely day, to enjoy our lives, and share our stories with great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
BoBn
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »

If you could play all day, what would ya do
Guitar, mandolin, fiddles, whistles, piano, ukulele, banjo, harp, etc.  Good friends, good music, good food, good drink.  A bit of story telling, singing, dancing.   Smiley

What about the next day?  It depends on the season.  Our family life is connected to our land.  We have a farm pond that we play on; swimming in the summer and hockey in the winter. And then there is wood to cut.  Buildings to repair. Vehicles to maintain. 
Quote from: -- Mark Twain
Work consists of whatever a body is obliged to do.
Play consists of whatever a body is not obliged to do.

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

Speaking of the pond that covers over in winter to skate upon.  Little off topic, my bad, but a little story must be told.

We live on five acres.  The front acre or so has a deep ravine running along it.  Very deep.  Along the sides of this ravine are tall cedars and big leaf maple. (some will recall the posts about the ravine, if you are interested, do a search in my profile for "ravine", interesting pictures in there).  This ravine has a small stream that runs all year long, summertime, merely a nice place for the kids to do some crayfish hunting, the deep pools are intriguing). 

Many years ago, (prior to 20 or so), before we moved here, there was another family, which had 8 children.  In those days, so long ago, children played for most of their lives out-of-doors.  The Uncles of these children had taken on a massive job and had built a small road down to the more shallow part of the ravine.  It was here that they brought an old truck, along with stuff to make concrete, to make a dam.  In those days, too, there was not the concerns as there is now, about "diverting" waterways for fish travel.  The men worked hard (this was a story I had heard from the previous owner, now passed to the other side) to build a small concrete wall, dam we will call it.  They left of course some room, somehow, for the water to still carry through.  The ravine area was flooded, but a controlled flood and this was made into the neighbourhood skating park.  For the children that played in this ravine, so many years ago.  The dam is long gone, but parts of it still remain, I have seen it. 

This ravine since we have lived here, has been the source of much enjoyment for many children that have lived here, along with adults too  cool Smiley Smiley Smiley.  We play in this ravine too, it takes us back to the feelings of what carefree life was all about, when we were children...  Why not, it is a place of quiet, coolness in the summertime, a place where one could only feel like time has stood still.  The children have made great swings in this ravine, a zip swing too was made, by the Father of one of the children.  It goes from one side of the ravine to the other, a rather scarey thing, in my eyes, and I would never try it, but the other big rope swings have been wonderful  cool cool cool.  Yes, things that I would do all day long, if I could play all day long, and sometimes, I do play all day long.  I have never thought of any work around my farm as work -- nothing but playing with the gardens, the weeds, the bees, the chickens and the rocks  cool Smiley Smiley Smiley.  Just some thoughts of a ramblin' gal, off to have that wonderful day, and wishing the most wonderful day for all my forum friends, to love and live, and share.....with health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »

I rarely mention I belonged to a PARAPLANE FORUM (sort of a Go-Kart with a parachute in the back which makes its wing - It flys a constant 26 miles per hour and giving it throttle makes it go higher, not faster.

With one of those, and the frame work is fully open, you can see thousands of feet on all sides, even between your legs, each foot is in a "well" for confort and you can see directly under you - wow.

It is the thrill of a life time, it is as close to relaxedly float in the sky (up to 10,000ft where you need oxygen) to JUST feet off the ground.

MY "WHAT WOULD I LIKE TO DO IF I COULD DO ANYTHING" is: fly over the Badlands in a paraplane. I want to see the magnificent rock, valley and moutainous country - I'd love to fly over the whole "High Dessert" around Navada, Vegas, etc. Whether feet above the "Close Encounters own" DEVIL'S TOWER - roughly 500+ feet of rock structure in te middle of nothing, yes I would love to go there.

If it wasn't to much, I would love to see Mount Rushmore too, walk all the trails they have, it looks incredible. I love that photo that is here in the forum for the BACK of Mount Rushmore - it is funny.

But in my FANTASY world, I would like to take the FULL 16 mile tour of Mammoth Caves. The real thing in spelunking, places you may never get out of like 14 inch tunnels that are 40 feet long, and you must fit through them somehow. You better weigh about 150lbs tops at 5'8" to fit in those spots.

LASTLY: I hope to visit the Ronald Reagan Museum BEFORE I die. That is something I want to go to and pay my respects to a man I loved watching as young innocent 20 year old. They actually have HIS Airforce ONE plane (retired) IN the museum which you walk fully through and see his bowl of jelly beans on his desk - silly but an era that changd the world to the modern mess it is today.

I say that only because since practically anyone can now trade and sell with all other countries - the world ecconomy has GREATLY changed since the falling of the Wall, which I prefer to give Reagan, not Bush 1 credit for.

Our global market is a good thing, it very truly may be the life force that drives humanity. I'm sure in my fridge andespecially cupboard, I have products from at least 30 countries - incrdible.

But hope you liked my wishes Cindi Smiley minus the whole global marketing comment - lol.

That would be a wonderful day for me Smiley
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:58:25 AM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2009, 10:50:45 AM »

Well, rock my socks!!!  That is quite a little invention thing you are describing, John, wow.  Would love to see one of those in action.  Who knows, dreams are meant to come true, and I can bet my bottom dollar, that one day, you are going to be travelling all over those Badlands.  (Now John, you gotta tell a tale here), what in the dickens are Badlands?  They don't sound very nice, but at the same time, are holding an intrigue for me.  I wanna hear.....off to my land of play, letting my chickens out, smiling.  Have that most wonderful day, love life, live life, health.  Cindi

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »

Since this question is being asked of us "right now" the first thing that comes to mind is a visit to http://www.polyfacefarms.com/. I'm currently reading Everything I Want to Do is Illegal by this farm's president Joel Salatin, having read about Joel and his farm in The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

Polyface exemplifies environmentally friendly farming practices that produce food we should all have access to. I would love to visit the place, it would be a dream come true and educational at the same time.

I'm self employed, work many hours a week when business is booming but take off a day here or there to fish or hunt or play with my own bees.

A perfect day for me is one spent in the outdoors, away from the rat race and cell phones.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2009, 08:31:03 PM »

JP, I would go with you! I love his concepts. He makes so much sense. I read the Omivore's Dilemma too and reading about his farm was incredible.
The Omivore's Dilemma was the final straw for me that made me stop buying all meat from the store.
I already stopped buying chicken and raise my own meatbirds but now I buy all my other meat from a farm. I found one that raises all grass fed beef, no meds or antibiotics-NO CORN. and they have a state of the art processing plant designed by Temple Grandin, the same woman in the book.
I just ordered a side of beef.

So anyway, I like my life so I guess I would keep doing what I am doing but if I could change anything it would be to have more time to do what I like to do.
If I could cut out all the other stuff I am required to do and could have all day to do what I am doing that would be awesome.
I do alot of volunteer work at the church and coach my daughter's soccer team and help out at the schools so I would not change that because I enjoy it but if I didn't have to do all the homework, errands and housework stuff and could do whatever I wanted ...

I do all of these things I will tell you about and the best days are when I get to do all of them and my kids are all home to be a part of it.
I do not live an life exciting and I don't want to. I take pleasure in the simple things and taking care of my family.
My life is satisfying and I am happy so if I could play all day it would be to do the things I normally do but I would get to do all of them and this would require the weather stay nice all year, meaning no snow.

I collect antiques and I love poking around antique stores and bringing home my treasure. If I can't be home then that is where I want to be!

I would have the time to finish all the projects I have around here, my root cellar, the well and stone paths, which will have to wait until this summer to get done.

In the morning I go outside and collect the eggs and some days go in and make a batch of soap before heading back outside.
Then Bill and I go outside and drink our coffee and tea in the vegetable garden.
We have an outside checker set that is made of slate that stays out in the yard so we usually will play a game of checkers too, which I lose.

I then enjoy watching or working the bees and playing with the chickens.

I spend time in the vegetable garden, planting, weeding, harvesting or just admiring what is growing.
We hang out there and play checkers, I will lose again.  

I stop and talk to my neighbor over the back fence whenever we are both out there which is fairly often, I give him eggs and honey or whatever I have in the garden.

I play with the kids or they help me in the garden, we do alot of fun activities. I taught my 7 year old son how to play checkers this summer, now he beats me.

If I have time I curl up in the swing with a good book or if its a cool fall day we light the bonfire and I read my book there.

At the end of the day I love to cook a nice meal for my family, especially something I have grown myself.
I love when the weather is nice enough to eat dinner outside, we have an old antique table and chairs that I put out in the yard and I have candles and lanterns around the yard and hanging from trees.

After dinner we light the bonfire and sit around and roast marshmallows and talk and laugh, sometimes my husband and whoever is hanging out will sing old songs.
Sometimes we play checkers again. I will lose again, I always lose.

Then I tuck the kids in bed, say a prayer and fall asleep in my husband's arms... thinking about how I can beat him at checkers tomorrow. evil

Corny as it may sound, this is what our life is normally like on the best of days, which is when we can all be home and I can do all of these things. The only thing that gets in the way is the outside world.

Mason
House Bee

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2009, 11:45:28 AM »

I would fish.  There are so many different kinds of fish, places to fish and ways to fish for them I would never get tired of it.

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »

Natalie, wanna play some chess!!! Smiling that big smile.  Beautiful days, to love and live, share, with great health.  Cindi

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2009, 09:51:05 AM »

I think I want to build a recreational catapult to fling people into the Gulf of Mexico. not exactly a joke, but likely not a reasonable thing to do.

be happy and make others happy.
HAB
HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
Field Bee

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2009, 11:02:27 AM »

I "Retired" in 1981 when I broke my neck while at work.  When it happened my Dr's  kept saying I only had, at first minutes, then hours, and finally days to live.  I decided then that I would enjoy every moment I had.   Fortunately, I had good insurance and  received a very comfortable "lifetime" income, they thought "How many checks could he possibly live to cash." HA! Ha! Ha!
And to this day, twenty-nine years later, that has been my life style. At first it was wine, women and song.  After that grew old I traveled everywhere I could possibly imagine. After ten years of that I settled down and started living a quieter life on two-hundred acres of fields, woodlands, creeks, and ponds in Alabama near the Alabama/Florida state line.  Where I now raise Children, Bees, Cattle, and Hay.  Still take the RV and Pontoon Boat out on trips with the Kids, and Grandchildren.  Every couple of years load them all up and take them out to see all the National Parks for three months or as long as their summer breaks last.  I hate these new shorter summer breaks schools are moving to, some of the kids were only able to join us for six weeks last year.  Family get to gathers take place here regularly (Thanksgiving saw almost sixty for dinner) and are now what I look forward to more than anything else.
Wishing everyone a wonderful and joyful holiday season.

PS: Its the end of November, its 67F and the Bees are still working, what more could a man want!! bee bee bee
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

HAB what a wonderful story you have shared here with us.  God Bless you (I believe he has already)

Annette
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next