Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Kid's Microscope  (Read 1221 times)

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
Kid's Microscope
« on: November 11, 2009, 03:38:09 PM »
My eleven yr old son wants a microscope for christmas.   We have a Walmart cheap one, and it is worthless and a waste of money.   

My question is can anyone recommend a microscope that would be user friendly for a child of that age, and yet still functional?   As in able to see the amoeba in pond water.  Without breaking the bank.   Something under $250 or $300 would be nice if it is possible.     Anyone got any ideas?  I don't even know where to start looking.. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline G3farms

• Queen Bee
Re: Kid's Microscope
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 03:59:39 PM »
I would try ebay and get a good used or new compound microscope, be sure it has its own light source and not just a mirror reflector.

If nothing else you will be overwhelmed with the choices.

Good luck

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »
G3 has very good advice!  Start on eBay or Amazon to get an idea of what's out there. Then you will have the manufacturer information, model #'s and all. Once you have that you can go to the websites for more details.  Many times I also use Amazon for the reviews. Do take them with a grain of salt though.  Look for the same info to come up in multiple reviews.  Let us know where your journey takes you, I've always wanted a microscope just because!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Online kathyp

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:59:10 PM »
google microscope reviews.  there are many and will at least help you weed through the ones you find.

http://www.galttech.com/research/buying-online/best-microscope.php

example of one site i looked at.
One could not learn history from architecture any more than one could learn it from books. Statues, inscriptions, memorial stones, the names of streets ? anything that might throw light upon the past had been systematically altered. (1.8.85)

George Orwell  "1984"

Offline charmd2

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
CARSON ZPIX 26X-130X ZOOM DIGITAL MICROSCOPE has been recommended.  I think this might do the trick. 
Charla Hinkle

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 02:22:13 AM »
You can get amazing quality old microscopes off ebay, Spencer Buffalo comes to mind. The glass and lenses from 1850 to 1960 are as good as ones today. A kids gunna go through a few cheap microscopes. Theres millions of really good quality old ones around that will last yet another lifetime.

Offline BoBn

• House Bee
    • h
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 10:11:10 AM »
Check your state & federal surplus.  When they do lab upgrades, they dispose of the old ones for pennies on the dollar.
Example:
http://www.govdeals.com/eas/itmDisplay.cfm?itemID=2064&acctID=446
"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson