Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 04:26:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Brew  (Read 10744 times)
Honeytree
New Bee

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2011, 10:53:45 PM »

I'd have to haul all my equipment out of the garage, where it's been stored since July ( embarassed!), but I'm desirous of a brew made special for May Day...what do y'all do for late spring/early summer?
Picobrew
House Bee

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2011, 12:42:22 AM »

...what do y'all do for late spring/early summer?

I'm just a kit brewer, but Midwest Homebrew Supply has a rye beer I like.  I think they call it Rogenbier.  It has that 'hot weather is right around the corner' feel to me.  As a matter of fact, I happen to have a box I can brew this weekend.  That would make it ready to drink the same time the bees arrive!  grin

I think cayenne, I think cayenne.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »

Sunday I brewed a Braggot using 6 pound of Amber DME, 9lbs of honey and 5 oz of cascade hops.
Honeytree
New Bee

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2011, 08:52:06 PM »

Picobrew, that sounds delish. I bake rye breads, but can't recall that I've had it in a beer.

Danno, you sent me to Google with that one--I'd never even heard of braggot! How does it taste different from a honey beer?
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »

Braggot is a mead with honey being main fermentable but made with malted barley and hops.    It will have to age for a year.   There are 2 ways of makeing it.  You can make a batch of beer, ferment it out with beer yeast, then add the honey and do a secondary fermentation with wine yeast.  Or brew the beer adding the honey with 2 minutes left in the boil.  It is then fermented with wine yeast.  It is normally made still but I plan on ageing it in a corney keg and then force carbinating it.  My OG was 1.145 and the first few days on fermentation was very violent.  I used a blowoff tube.  I used lavin D47 yeast which will die from high alcohol before all the sugar is used up.  This is the reason for 5 oz of hops.   I expect it to come out sweet and bitter
kingbee
Queen Bee

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2011, 12:45:14 AM »

Anyone ever use 20 oz brown A&W rootbeer bottles for home brewing?  What is the down side? 

Don't look to me like there would be much danger of the bottles bursting from to much CO2.  Am I right? 

I make good wine I just don't like wine.  Ah, but a good beer is a good beer.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #66 on: November 19, 2011, 09:42:50 AM »

Kegging up a India Pale Ale today. It's cool outside so I may super charge the CO2  and have it carbed up to try some later today.
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2011, 08:11:30 AM »

Just got a deal on a  50lb sack  of 2 row malted barley.  Traded for 10 lbs of honey.  This weekend I will be brewing a all grain breakfast stout.  This is a really great beer.  Thick, dark with the taste of chocolate and coffee
Hemlock
Field Bee

« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2011, 12:15:22 PM »

The Rauchbier was bottled on the 11th.  I'm hoping it's good to go come Thursday...
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »

Three months, two weeks after the boil we finally opened one of our 'Imperial' IPA's.  Oh man, well worth the wait.

We boil/brew most of our beer over the winter, ales especially like the coolness of our root cellar and age very nicely and we're kinda partial to ales.

Next up will be a couple clones we've been wanting to try, a 'Surly' bitter and a 'Surly' furious.  Should be able to open the first 'tongue splitter' ale in a week.  Can't wait.

So this is what beeks are up to during the winter months Smiley 

The best thing about brewing your own IMO, besides the relative cheaper cost, is that if you brew up ales especially, there's a 6 pack (or in some cases a 12 pack) worth of buzz in each 22 oz bottle cool.  Usually all I need.

We try to buy when ingrediants are on sale and still use kits when we get lazy.  Our middle son is the 'real' deal' though making some amazing stuff.  He's determined to become a professional brewer.

Cool thread, thanks.

thomas

"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2011, 04:59:22 PM »

My pale ale came out a little darker and heavier than planned. I left quite a bit of the hops in the primary fermentor,and I can tell ya it's definitely not one for the 'hey give me a light beer" crowd. grin
Since I like the hops flavor myself,it turned out okay.But next time i may have to watch the steep temps closer in the kit grains.
Bottoms up!!
Hemlock
Field Bee

« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2011, 06:57:56 PM »

Buzz,
Do you boil your hopps in the grain bag?  I used to strain the wort after the boil until a mentor showed me to reuse the grain bag.  Almost no trub to deal with.

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #72 on: December 05, 2011, 11:14:46 PM »

I sometimes use the bag,but was looking for a little extra hops kick. I sure got a kick,and as you said,a good bit of trub.Next time I'll pull at least half of the hops out. Smiley
beee farmer
House Bee

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2011, 01:02:45 AM »

about that time of year again to get another batch or two or three of mead started!!1 banana devil

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2011, 08:45:03 AM »

In our attempts to use up supplies we brew up a few 'Frankenstein' ales each season. 

We don't particularly like following recipes so even the kits we buy can wind up with twice the recommended hops (we grow our own cascades, centennials and a northern Golding), dry hopping and 'every' batch gets at least 'one' heaping spoonful of honey during the process Smiley.

We finally broke down and bought a cider press so we can start making some cider and ACV next year (we give the deer enough apples!!!)

thomas

Hemlock
Field Bee

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2011, 09:30:06 AM »

and 'every' batch gets at least 'one' heaping spoonful of honey during the process
thomas
Hope your putting more than a spoonful in a five gallon batch.  We use a pound.  Any more is supposed to weaken the head.
...or are you just double fist drinking beer and honey at the same time grin
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2011, 10:45:17 AM »

Oh of course, as I said each batch gets 'at least one' heaping spoonful, some do get up to a pound.  Depends what we're doing. 

With most of the strong ales (my "imperial" as an example) you give up head for flavor IMO.  I don't mind at all.

thomas

Francus
House Bee

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2011, 08:01:41 AM »

Add a pound of wheat to boost head retention (per 10 gal batch). For lighter beers this will cause a bit of haze, but won't affect the flavor. For dark beers, who cares. You can't see through it anyway!

"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2011, 08:10:34 AM »

I racked 5 gallons of bragget into a corny that has been resting in a secondary for over a year.  It came out at 16%.  After 2 days chilling I tried it and was pleased.     I had put 5 oz of hops in it and the bitterness came out nicely.   Its well balanced.   I have a brewing club Xmas party at my place on Sat. and will let everyone sample.  I'm not going to carbonate it so that after the party i can bottle whats left and stuff it away in the wine celler
T Beek
Super Bee

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:04 AM »

Makes my throat kinda tingle just thinking about that, danno cool

thomas

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next