Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 10:55:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Home Brew  (Read 11134 times)
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 07:06:54 PM »

And of course you'll be bringing samples to Bud's right? grin

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:45 PM »

If I can make it this year,I'll try to bring it along!!
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 08:05:52 AM »

Alittle off subject, last week I ordered the programable thermistat from Midwest brewing in Minn.  About $80.00     I have wanted one to make lager.   This year my honey harvest showed early signs of crystalization.  I hooked it up to a small ceramic heater set to come on at 85deg and shut off at 90deg.  All this is in a old none working chest freezer.  It only comes on for a couple of minutes a hour.  This unit can be programed in 2 different configurations. The way I useing it now or also to cool.   I will install it in my working chest freezer and  ferment lagers.  Best of all it way a tax writeoff   
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2011, 05:28:15 PM »

Danno
Having a dual use tool makes it more feasible to purchase. Great Idea.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »

I have been sampling the Innkeeper since Christmas eve. It is a bit lighter than the other homebrews I have made.
I poured the hops into the fermenter when i brewed it giving it a little more hop flavor than it may have had otherwise.It is pretty tasty if you are a fan of hoppy beer.
 My irish heavy should be ready to keg at the end of next week. I am anxious to taste it.
Cheers for now!!
Picobrew
House Bee

« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2011, 03:55:28 PM »

I've been applying the "Relax. Don't worry.  Have a homebrew." theory to my newest hobby, beekeeping.  I keep reminding myself I don't have to worry about all the things it is possible to worry about when starting a brand new hobby.

I've been an extract brewer for about 15 years.  I think it is similar to beekeeping in that you can spend a lot of money on the front end to get everything you think you'll need, or you can start out with what you can scrounge up and grow as circumstances allow.

I've never made a bad batch, but I did have one I had to cut about 50:50 with another batch in order to swallow. tongue

I have a couple hop plants in the yard.  My 2nd season I got enough to use, and this third season gave enough for 3 batches!  I bottled that 3rd batch last night.  One image that really stirs me is envisioning our new bees visiting the hops on a blue sky summer day.

Dave

I think cayenne, I think cayenne.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »

Relax is a good terminology for either hobby. However,the thought of a stinging insect crawling around on your hands requires the extra patience of not having a knee jerk reaction.
I kegged my Irish heavy today. Maybe it will be carbed enough by next weekend to try it.I didn't take a hydrometer reding,but I brought it up from the cooler basement to the warmth of the living room and only saw minimal signs in the airlock last week. I did taste it and it seems ok like all do before carbonation,but it sure needs the bubbles and just a bit of chillin to taste really good.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

After some successes with mead this year I've started getting back into brewing beer. I'm thinking I should try a honey beer...anyone have any advice? Good recipe?

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Picobrew
House Bee

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2011, 06:23:32 PM »

hardwood-

Midwest Homebrew Supply has a honey amber ale they readily admit is just their amber ale kit plus 2 lbs clover honey.  I bought the cheaper amber kit and added local honey to great effect.  Maybe next year I can skip the buy local step and do it again!

skatesailor
House Bee

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2011, 11:28:45 AM »

I seem to be outnumbered here by beer drinkers. I don't like beer and it doesn't like me. I did want to do something with excess fruits and have been winemaking for many years. When fruits are coming in strong and we can't keep up with them I pop them in the freezer and deal with them later. Strawberry, raspberry, currants, pear, plum, and peach so far. I always throw in a strange one each year and have tried peapod,beet,rice, tomato, and the best, carrot. Most have been well received by friends and family.
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2011, 02:27:58 PM »

Bud1 and I have both made fruit wines. This is fun too. I did that before beer.I am just broadening my fermenting horizons.
Bud had an awesome blackberry wine. So smooth you thought it was just the juice of the blackberry. MMMMM!

What do they say,if it fits the bucket,ferment it!! Wink A relative mentioned making wine with oranges once,that may be my next venture.
skatesailor
House Bee

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2011, 10:34:17 PM »

Recipe for orange wine on Honeycreek Wine Recipes.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2011, 12:33:06 AM »

Just wondering if any of that beer or wine knows how to get to Jersey Smiley

I'm getting wind that MEAD may be a big drink at Bud3.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2011, 01:43:01 AM »

At my house Homebrew is making Ham Radio equipment from parts.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Vetch
House Bee

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2011, 10:10:01 AM »

bleach works well but need to be rinsed which could cause reinfection and cant be used on stainless.  This is the best stuff out there because it doesn't need rinsing.   http://homebrewheaven.com/

Chlorine bleach can spoil the flavor if a trace is left behind, while peroxide bleaches will not. Most of the good cleaning compounds sold by homebrew stores are washing sodas that produce peroxides.
Picobrew
House Bee

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2011, 11:34:15 AM »

At my house Homebrew is making Ham Radio equipment from parts.

73 DE KA9TTM

danno
Super Bee

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2011, 12:24:28 PM »

bleach works well but need to be rinsed which could cause reinfection and cant be used on stainless.  This is the best stuff out there because it doesn't need rinsing.   http://homebrewheaven.com/

Chlorine bleach can spoil the flavor if a trace is left behind, while peroxide bleaches will not. Most of the good cleaning compounds sold by homebrew stores are washing sodas that produce peroxides.

oxyclean is peroxide base cleaner that is the same as onestep sold by the suppliers.   I buy it at the dollar store for 1/2 the price as the name brand oxyclean
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2011, 12:29:42 PM »

I have pretty hard water,and have used different cleansers. Powdered Brewery Wash(PBW0 was developed for use in hard water and seems very effective.
1frozenhillbilly
House Bee

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2011, 11:32:51 PM »

i've been homebrewing for about 10 years now and also make mead

vegetarian???  isnt green stuff for growing meat?
danno
Super Bee

« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 08:24:29 AM »

did my first all grain yesterday.   A  nut brown ale recipe w/ a honey kicker.  Not sure what I'll call but kicking around "nuttin honey"    Also did a 5 gallon batch of DME porter. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next