Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 06:13:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Foundationless Frames and Wax strips  (Read 3623 times)
VolunteerK9
Super Bee

Gamecock fan in UT land.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2011, 12:31:44 PM »

Glad I found this thread because I have a question. I hived a swarm a week ago tomorrow into a five frame nuc, it was a large swarm and almost to big but it was all I had to hand at the time. Brought it back to the house and fed them a 1:1 syrup and let them be until yesterday when I popped the top and checked for wax. No drawn comb on my foundationless frames. The frames have a wood starter strip top and bottom (3/4 stock poplar ripped down to fit the groove and glued in) and two crimped wires in the middle two holes, no wax as I don't have any. I think I should have at least rubbed a block of wax across the top strip now but hindsght is 20/20.
The ladies were on the limb awhile before I got there (lots of white wax). I'm pretty confident I got the queen and they are as calm as they come but am baffled as to why they are being lazy. I also did a cut out and vacuumed another into a deep and two shallows (strip top and bottom no wire) Sunday and don't know what to expect there either, I did save half a shallow of brood comb so they do have their own comb there. Not sure on the queen on that one but they do have eggs and brood.
Opinions?

Ive never used wax on my foundationless frames and its worked out well-just used the down turned wedge strip of the frame. Are you still feeding them? And is the nuc strong enough to place your foundationless between 2 brood frames?
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2011, 08:23:44 PM »

It has nothing to do with foundationless.  They will draw comb when they need it.  I don't know why it's taking so long, but they will draw comb if you keep feeding them.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
FRAMEshift
Super Bee

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2011, 11:11:21 PM »

"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: