Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 04:44:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wax moths late in the season  (Read 1117 times)
Kevin Goats
New Bee

« on: November 03, 2009, 02:46:33 PM »

I have a hive that has one deep,one medium and one more medium for feeding. The deep is full of brood and honey, but the medium has just a few frames of honey ( that's why I am feeding them).I was in the hive last night and found a wax moth in the feed area. The hive is not very strong and it's late in the season. I need to feed the bees because of the lack of honey. Does any body have any suggestions?  P.S. I live on the coast of Texas so the winter is mild normally.

Thanks for all of ya'lls help, Kevin
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »

I'd keep feeding them or, better yet, combine them with another hive if you have 'em. If weather allows, I'd also do quick search and destroy any wax-moth and larvae you can find... might help some.

-John

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
rast
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 08:21:06 PM »

You say they are not very strong. If you only have 5 frames of bees in the brood box and the other frames just have a few on them, you need to remove the medium, freeze and save the honey frames for feeding back to them as needed. I am assuming the top medium is just an empty box to cover a feeder. And yes, I have used med. frames in a deep for feeding in the winter. Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders. From your description, it sounds like you found a moth in the top box, the bees may have kept it run up there. It only takes a about a week for the worms to ruin a weak hive. Keep a close eye on it. I have moths and SHB here year round. Just remember moths won't/can't take over even a 2 frame nuc if there are enough bees to patrol it. As long as the queen is laying well, I prefer consolidation to combining.

Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda
Kevin Goats
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »

Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders

I am getting into the hive in the afternoon and see. I like the idea of condensing them. Thanks
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »

Great notes, Rast! Learning....

You say they are not very strong. If you only have 5 frames of bees in the brood box and the other frames just have a few on them, you need to remove the medium, freeze and save the honey frames for feeding back to them as needed. I am assuming the top medium is just an empty box to cover a feeder. And yes, I have used med. frames in a deep for feeding in the winter. Consolidation of bees is the best defense I have found for most intruders. From your description, it sounds like you found a moth in the top box, the bees may have kept it run up there. It only takes a about a week for the worms to ruin a weak hive. Keep a close eye on it. I have moths and SHB here year round. Just remember moths won't/can't take over even a 2 frame nuc if there are enough bees to patrol it. As long as the queen is laying well, I prefer consolidation to combining.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next