Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 22, 2014, 01:06:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brit government run med care wants to kill kid.  (Read 765 times)
wayne
House Bee

« on: November 02, 2009, 01:09:10 PM »

Dad Fights to Keep Baby on Life Support
AOL News
posted: 2 HOURS 32 MINUTES
(Nov. 2) -- A British hospital wants to remove a 1-year-old boy born with a rare neuromuscular condition from life support, but the child's father is fighting to keep him alive.
The baby's mother agrees with hospital officials, who sought High Court permission Monday to remove the boy from the ventilator that allows him to breathe, British media reported.
"RB's mother has sat by her son's bedside every day since he was born," her lawyer, Anthony Fairweather, said in a statement, according to Sky News. "In her mind the intolerable suffering experienced by her son must outweigh her own personal grief should she lose her child."

The infant, known only as "Baby RB," was born with congenital myasthenic syndrome, a muscle weakness that limits the movement of his limbs and his ability to breathe on his own. He has been in the hospital since birth.
Doctors treating the baby say he has such poor quality of life that it's not in his best interests to keep him alive. But lawyers for the father argue that the child's brain is not affected by the condition and that Baby RB can see, hear, feel, recognize his parents and even play with toys.
"This is a tragic case. The father feels very strongly that Baby RB has a quality of life that demands the trust should continue to provide life-sustaining treatment. The father clearly adores his son and hopes to demonstrate to the court that the trust's application should be rejected," Christopher Cuddihee, a lawyer representing the father, told the Sunday Telegraph.
The parents are separated, but both have been living in a special dedicated family accommodation near the hospital since Baby RB's birth. Their identities were withheld for legal reasons.
If the hospital's application is granted, it will be the first time a British court has gone against the wishes of a parent and ruled that life support can be discontinued or withdrawn from a child who does not have brain damage, the Guardian newspaper said.
Congenital myasthenic syndrome is the result of a rare gene abnormality that affects the link between the nerve and muscle, destroying the "signal" between the two when the nerve wants the muscle to contract.
Only 300 people in the United Kingdom are believed to have CMS, and they are affected with varying degrees of severity.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »

>>>>but both have been living in a special dedicated family accommodation near the hospital since Baby RB's birth.<<<<

There's not much info there to make a decision on, but what I see is a kid suffering badly, no chance of ever improving, and a father that is getting free room and board as long as the boy remains alive. He doesn't have to work or support himself if they don't disconnect the boy. He may make it long enough to retire before the boy's body rejects the life support. Until we know more, I'm on the mother's side. Why make him suffer like that?

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
wayne
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:10:21 PM »

>>Congenital myasthenic syndrome is the result of a rare gene abnormality that affects the link between the nerve and muscle, destroying the "signal" between the two when the nerve wants the muscle to contract. <<

No where does it say the child is in pain. It says that the doctors feel he has a "poor Quality of life" that's all.

No where does it imply that either parent is a freeloader, just that the hospital provides housing for the families of their patents.

The child condition is that " But lawyers for the father argue that the child's brain is not affected by the condition and that Baby RB can see, hear, feel, recognize his parents and even play with toys. "

The point is the government claims the right to screen which children should live or die based on THEIR idea of quality of life. Remember history 101?  The Third Riech and the way they treated those who were , or could be, a drain on society?  It's a very slippery slope you are on here, walk carefully.

Or is there some other reason you defend the mother and attack the father? Some hyper feminist leanings, or anti fatherhood attitude perhaps?

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 02:17:57 PM »

No, none of the above. As I said, there is not enough info to make a rational decision, so I just read between the lines and call it like I see it. If there wasn't a difference in the way people see it, it wouldn't be in the courts. You see it your way, I see it mine. If we had more info, either of us may change our mind.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Brian D. Bray
Galactic Bee

I really look like this, just ask Cindi.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 11:00:54 PM »

In this country Sarah Palin was racked over the coals for referring to such a thing, in regard to socialized medicine, as death panels.

Life is a school.  What have you learned?   Brian      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next