Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 02:46:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medicinal Honey - what is?  (Read 601 times)
yahyal
New Bee

« on: November 02, 2009, 03:03:25 AM »

Hi all,

I'm interested in what makes honey medicinal, and do all types of honey have medicinal properties?

I read something about Yemeni (sidr) honey - does anyone know anything about it?
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 10:28:12 AM »

a lot of claims have been made about honey.  some are legitimate, some are questionable.  raw honey appears to have anti-bacterial properties.  it has been used for centuries as a wound dressing and as a preservative.  you can google info on that.

there are people who swear that honey helps with allergies.  the research is mixed on that. 

honey is a better sweetener for those with blood sugar problems because it is a complex carbohydrate and has a more favorable glycemic index than processed white sugar (or brown).

was there some particular use you were interested in?  you might be a more specific answer.  also, if you could go to your profile and put your location, there might be someone in your area who can help you with local honey.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
luvin honey
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 10:35:10 AM »

honey is a better sweetener for those with blood sugar problems because it is a complex carbohydrate and has a more favorable glycemic index than processed white sugar (or brown).

I hate to argue, but I've looked up the glycemic index of honey versus sugar. Depending on the type of honey, it is either the same or actually higher than sugar. Just wouldn't want a diabetic using honey before researching a bit...

As for health, I just intuitively believe that the less processed a food is, the better. Raw honey is about as unprocessed as it gets, and I can tell you that my mental health skyrockets when I am chawing on a wad of raw honeycomb fresh out of the hive Cheesy

The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next