Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 21, 2014, 12:37:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Follow this story, it may be the saddest thing you ever know about.  (Read 1154 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: October 21, 2009, 03:58:05 AM »

Well theres this sailor down here aiming to be the youngest person to circumnavigate the world solo. Our Jesse Martin used to hold this record, probably still does, 17 and some days. Its not surprising someone would try to break it. When Jesse did it, about 10 years ago, pirates were not as common as they are now.

So the latest effort sets out a few weeks ago and ends badly. On a shakedown cruise, the 16 year old sailor went to sleep 4.5 minutes after checking her radar, in the main shipping channel between Brisbane and Sydney and ran into a 68,000 tonne cargo ship.

a few weeks of repairs and she is off again.

Would you let your 16 year old daughter sail around the world alone, even if you didnt know she couldnt spot this?

when she was on this?

It was dark, but that doesnt really matter when you are looking at radar and were asleep anyway.

http://yachtpals.com/jessica-watson-7021

I might be a lil bit skeptical and a teeny weeny bit cynical but click on the link above tell me this isnt a publicity stunt. It has to be, no parent would be so stupid. I cant believe that the pirates are not watching her progress on her web site with interest to say the least.

Jesse apart from being a bloke, had some good ocean experience. Jessica has never seen rough water. I hope she makes it of course, but I think its a very foolish thing to attempt.

Kay Cottee did it in the 80s when she was in her 30s, first woman to circumnavigate the world solo and unassisted, she had sailed since she was born. It drove her half mad and nearly killed her a coupla times.

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 03:27:31 AM »

The Pocono Record up there has an interesting article.

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20091023/NEWS04/910230314
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 12:09:04 PM »

What is so sad about it  huh

Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »

I think you have to let your children grow - Absolutely - her competence should be considered without compromise.
Having said that I have cruisers in my family, and they tell me that ANY long crossing even with a crew of 2 can be very very difficult. they tend to get very tired - even piloting in shifts.
I guess you'd have to know what constitutes "alone" as well
My cruisers had some good friends rescued by some other good friends when they got between a tug and a barge (the barge was a MILE behind the tug) their boat got crushed, but their friends were there to pick them up. The guy who got hit, saw the tug and couldn't spot the barge - because he was tired and loopy.
   So, if she crosses with a group of other boats and they radio each other when ANYTHING is sighted - would that still be considered going alone? - or would she have to strike out on her own and try to avoid shipping lanes - where you may encounter traffic anyway. - maybe a radar with a proximity alarm?

I'm for it, but absolutely not if she's a lazy spoiled whiney type who would absolutely lack the focus and discipline to meet the challenge.
(I have a copy of "the boy who sailed the world alone" - he set out at 16 and completed at 21-ish).

be happy and make others happy.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 03:31:25 AM »

Unfortunately she is sailing alone and unassisted. So being anywhere near another boat can be considered cheating, you might get a bearing off them, some info etc. I think youre unofficially allowed a famil visit en route, from another craft, but youre not allowed to touch each other, so not many bother to go to the expense.

Her blog is a bit sad. No news for days, no real time sat logging as previously promised, so I think its going to be a big hoax by the time its over. Heres one post from her diary, what is it a week in?

It already feels like Im into a routine, grabbing sleep through the night and in the morning when I can, logging and plotting my position, digging through food bags and calling in twice a day. Ive been eating my way through all the last-minute sweets shoved aboard just before we left. Each time I think Ive eaten them I find more.

It's such a nice day that I've just spent the morning sitting up on deck enjoying it all, watching Ella's Pink Lady sail along and listening to music. Today there's little speckles of white streaked across the water, as if they're there just to break up all that blue! Just think how great it would be if it were like this every day. On second thoughts maybe it would get a little boring!

Ah so sweet, 12kts I think she means. rolleyes
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 03:35:45 AM »

I thought drowning, rape and kidnapping and murder were all a sad end to a young life. Maybe she will call in international rescue at the first sign of a storm?
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 09:10:12 AM »

I thought drowning, rape and kidnapping and murder were all a sad end to a young life. Maybe she will call in international rescue at the first sign of a storm?

She is attempting to live a life of adventure instead of living a life of passiveness ( gossip, malls, American Idol, etc. ).We're all going to die at one time or another, so lets live it up. By the way, I hope she's ARMED  evil

BH
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 05:08:20 AM »

Armed with an ipod maybe.

I read today some Norwegian sheila aged 14 is about to try it...............after her exams later this year.

Just insane.
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:40 AM »

Mick, I glanced at a news byte that jessica's trip is postponed indefinitely, I also read the cruising forum you originally posted, I I dont think she's up to it.
as for the 14 year old, um, no. I'm willing to bet that no matter how competent and focused a young person appears to be, there must be a bottom limit where age does interfere with judgement. I remember some of the blatantly ignorant things I did at 14 and wonder in near astonishment how I got my head dislodged from where I had it.

be happy and make others happy.
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 03:00:39 AM »

No news of that here, latest post was October 26 and had her 1000 miles in 10 days.

When the Southern ocean throws up 30 metre waves, whats a 14 year old kid going to do but hole up? No use if any sails need to be changed or a mast needs repair, or most common, something breaks loose and needs to be lashed down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next