Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 07:57:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: obscene profit check  (Read 2706 times)
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:34 AM »

Why would I want to pay for someone Else's health care huh

You do realize of course that if you have ANY insurance at all, that you are already paying for everyone elses care in the plan already.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 07:41:38 AM »

But that is an inflated cost for an aspirin. No insurance company pays that cost that is the cost to an uninsured patient paying his own way. Insurance companies have negotiated rates they pay with all different health care providers which are much much lower.

Keith

When I was without insurance I found it to be just the opposite. The actual providers of health care, doctors, pharmacies, ect. would CUT the price to the uninsured. It's the seemingly bottomless pit of the insurance company pockets that has lead to widespread price gouging throughout the health care infrastructure - and the fact that quite a few insurers are wholly or partly owned by medical companies (like J&J owns Met Life) that helps spread (and hide) the actual profit numbers. Almost everyone who services the healthcare industry over charges - mark your prices up 400% and then look magnanimous with a 50% discount.

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »

Why would I want to pay for someone Else's health care huh

You do realize of course that if you have ANY insurance at all, that you are already paying for everyone elses care in the plan already.

You're right, but a small portion of it in my premium, but when I am billed for something that is NOT covered, extra is tacted on just to for THEM to recoup some of the loses. What I do NOT want to see is more taxes to cover more uninsured, again, there is a section of society that thinks they are entitled, I don't mind paying for those that really need it ( Veterans, Retired Workers, First Responders and all others that contribute to our society ) because I have been most of my life. This Obama Care will kill us in the pocket !
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 10:04:21 AM »

When I was without insurance I found it to be just the opposite. The actual providers of health care, doctors, pharmacies, ect. would CUT the price to the uninsured. It's the seemingly bottomless pit of the insurance company pockets that has lead to widespread price gouging throughout the health care infrastructure - and the fact that quite a few insurers are wholly or partly owned by medical companies (like J&J owns Met Life) that helps spread (and hide) the actual profit numbers. Almost everyone who services the healthcare industry over charges - mark your prices up 400% and then look magnanimous with a 50% discount.

What I've come to believe (no evidence, just something a doc mentioned in passing once) is that doctors prices went up when insurance companies denied benefits - Kathyp was not wrong in addressing fraud, but the denials seem to extend beyond just the fraudulent claims maybe. so exactly as you've said, the docs raised their price for the care they really are providing to cover the pay refusals by the insurance companies; insurance companies raised their rates because suddenly they were paying higher fees from what they were paying (can't say where the price increase spiral really ends)  It is a certainty that something needs to be done to deal with the increasing prices, leaving the average patient in a cloud of dust, wondering why a band-aid shows up on the bill at $15.

be happy and make others happy.
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 10:08:29 AM »

Let's also remember that the Doctors (and hospitals) have to pay for astronomical malpractice insurance costs.

Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

The actual providers of health care, doctors, pharmacies, etc. would CUT the price to the uninsured. It's the seemingly bottomless pit of the insurance company pockets that has lead to widespread price gouging throughout the health care infrastructure

if you pay cash for your care, except in places like HMOs that have set costs, you will pay less than if your insurance pays it.  insurance charges more and pays more for a number of reasons.  while i do not discount the desire for profit, things like risk sharing, covering state mandates, and in oregon they are required to be part of the insurance pool for low income.

if the uninsured cost us a few billion a year, that is a bargain compared to what is being proposed. 

we do not have that many working poor uninsured.  again, we are asking the wrong question.  why is the government so set on having a national health care plan that will fundamentally change the way we get health care.....and i submit, fundamentally change the psychology of this nation.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

$1500 X-rays?  $400 deductible?  Here in Canada our all inclusive Medicare has it flaws for certain but please get National health and make it work.
It is a $100 deductable vs. $20 at the Dr. office to discourage use of the ER where we(insurance) will end up paying for the services rendered to those who won't or can't pay.  It is a way of making me more responsible for my costs, so I don't go to the ER with a stomacheache. I was merely pointing out one reason for outrageous costs.

I have great healthcare, we normally never use the ER system, preferring to use the awesome network of dr.s and medical facilities that we have in our area.  Even though I may pay more for my medical than those in Canada, I do NOT want what I have now changed. 

At least we din't want to have to wait for 2 weeks for those xrays.  I don't want your system of insurance, thanks anyway.

I think one of the big problems was caused by forcing hospitals to treat anybody that comes in regardless of problem and payment ability.  That forces them to up prices for everybody to pay for those who can't pay, and everybody knows that so they go to the hospital.

There are fixes that are worse than the problem, and they're trying to make one such fix right now.

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »

not only that, but canada sends a lot of patients down here for care.  where will we go??

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next