Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 18, 2014, 02:03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FRAMES, Who really makes them....  (Read 3655 times)
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« on: October 26, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »

For the folks of Betterbee, W.T. Kelley, Dadant, Brushy Mt., etc  huh. I am curious as to who makes them, are they made inhouse or is there some secret facility  evil that makes the frames for most or all of these re-sellers. I am looking for frames whose top bar has no cuts ( I want a solid top, no wedge nor groove, nor slot )  I did check with W.T. Kelley, they do not do such things even though a well known Beek here implied that he has bought such frames in the past. Anybody here know who these woodworkers are that make the frames and woodenware  huh

BH

Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 10:43:55 AM »

I know it doesn't help you, but BetterBee get's them somewhere out of Canada....

Have you tried some of the woodenware-only shops like Humble Abode?   They are really nice to deal with,  I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction if they can't help.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 11:13:58 AM »

I know it doesn't help you, but BetterBee get's them somewhere out of Canada....

Have you tried some of the woodenware-only shops like Humble Abode?   They are really nice to deal with,  I'm sure they could lead you in the right direction if they can't help.

Rob,

Well there's a name I have not heard of for some time, Thanks  grin

BH
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2009, 07:14:54 PM »

Can't speak for all of them, but Walter T. Kelley makes their own.  Dadant owns Western Bee Supply who makes theirs.  The rest I'm not so sure of, but I called all of them trying to get them to custom make frames for me and Walter T. Kelley was the only one who would simply leave out the groove in the top bar for me.  No one else would even talk price.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 07:28:55 PM »

Can't speak for all of them, but Walter T. Kelley makes their own.  Dadant owns Western Bee Supply who makes theirs.  The rest I'm not so sure of, but I called all of them trying to get them to custom make frames for me and Walter T. Kelley was the only one who would simply leave out the groove in the top bar for me.  No one else would even talk price.

Mike,

I did talk to WTK a few weeks ago on this matter and unless I got a girl who did not know better,  they don't do such a thing  Sad
I did however spoke with the folks up at Humble Abodes in Maine today ( Thanks Robo ) and they said they're willing to do it for me. Smiley
If Kelley still does it, I'd be happy to call them again, but who would I ask for so that I don't get the dummy again.  huh

BH
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:22 PM »

You make want to call Beeline Apiaries and Woodenware
Email: beeline@abcmailbox.net
Phone:  814 585 4699
They manufacture their own woodenware.They are located in Bedford,PA
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:39:36 AM »

You make want to call Beeline Apiaries and Woodenware
Email: beeline@abcmailbox.net
Phone:  814 585 4699
They manufacture their own woodenware.They are located in Bedford,PA

Thank you, another for my contact list  grin
cam
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:55 PM »

Try Humble Abodes. They will make frames without cuts on the top bar. They also make some nice supers. Reasonable prices and quality workmanship.  They have a website.

circle7 honey and pollination
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »

Try Humble Abodes. They will make frames without cuts on the top bar. They also make some nice supers. Reasonable prices and quality workmanship.  They have a website.

Thanks for the feedback, I contacted them yesterday about what I wanted and they will get back to me when the job is completed next week, funny they did not want the money up front  huh
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 08:29:57 PM »

Walter T. Kelley has been reorganized in recent times.  They used to make their own frames, but I can't say they do at this moment.

Michael Bush
-------------------
TwT
Senior Forum
Global Moderator
Galactic Bee

Ted

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2009, 09:55:12 PM »

this is who I deal with now, good price on large orders, me and a buddy got 5000 ordered now, they build their own. we get them assembled, and still pay a lower price than other suppliers not assembled. if only we could find a deal on foundation Cry , but since their prices are close across the board on foundation we get it from W T Kelly, they just have the best IMHO!!

http://www.orrbeesupply.com/

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 YEARS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2009, 10:27:55 PM »

For the folks of Betterbee, W.T. Kelley, Dadant, Brushy Mt., etc  huh. I am curious as to who makes them, are they made inhouse or is there some secret facility  evil that makes the frames for most or all of these re-sellers. I am looking for frames whose top bar has no cuts ( I want a solid top, no wedge nor groove, nor slot )  I did check with W.T. Kelley, they do not do such things even though a well known Beek here implied that he has bought such frames in the past. Anybody here know who these woodworkers are that make the frames and woodenware  huh

BH

Like every thing else, probably made in China.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 06:29:14 AM »

BH

Like every thing else, probably made in China.

Steve

All of Humble Abode woodenware is made in Maine from  Maine pine trees
    http://humbleabodesinc.com/

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2009, 09:42:31 AM »

Humble Abodes sent me 100 medium frames with the uncut top bar last week and I did some experimenting with the table saw this weekend, it looks like it will work for me. I do have one caveat, the top bar just did not have enough meat to make a good 45 deg. bevel cut, maybe another 1/8" would be perfect. Anyways, I know now that HA will do custom work.

BeeHopper
cam
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 12:07:20 PM »

I also got 100 frames with a plain top bar from Humble Abode... they were great with great service. I use a 45° router bit and it works great to put a wedge on the bars.

circle7 honey and pollination
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2009, 03:04:58 PM »

I spoke to Sean at Walter T. Kelley and I'm quite certain they do make their own frames.

Michael Bush
-------------------
Jack
House Bee

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2009, 03:57:06 PM »

It takes a piece of stock approx. 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 in. to make a top bar with a complete 45 deg. bevel. I have made quite a few and they work well. The bees are not really fussy as to what they have when the circumstances are right.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next