I also purchased an acid vapor rated half mask respirator and plan to use goggles just to be safe.
Being aware of the wind direction also helps. And having a cellphone with you (in case you can't drive afterwards), as well as a big jug of clean water in case you get any of it on your skin, is also a good idea.If you can get throw-away gloves (like the ones doctors use), do that as well -- it's so easy to get the stuff on your hands, and then rub your eyes while driving home.
The big thing with acid treatment is that you must respect it. Household chemicals are so "safe" to use these days that one can easily forget to be actually careful when using less consumer friendly acids.