Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 20, 2014, 10:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Observation Hive Glass  (Read 1267 times)
leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« on: April 15, 2005, 02:05:52 PM »

I have just  cleaned out my observation hive and removed all of the brace/burr comb that was stuck to the glass.  What a mess.  

An obsservation hive is more work than I thought!   I had read in BeeCulture that someone would coat the glass with "something" and this helped keep the brace/burr comb off of the glass.  

Does any know what this magic substance is?  

I have a few weeks before I can get this Observation hive going again, and having a clean display is critical.

Jay
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »

Did you see this part of Michael Bush's post about his observation hives?

Space between the glass:
For reasons unknown to me, no one seems to get this right. The draper has about 2 1/4" between the glass and the bees burr the glass up a lot. The Brushy Mt. hives have 1 1/2" between the glass and when I put in frames of brood from a hive it was too tight a fit and the brood could not emerge and the bees absconded. I reworked the Brushy Mt. hives by adding a screen molding (available at the hardware store) which is 1/4" thick. I put it behind the hinges on the hinge side and behind the door as a stop on the opposite side and added one next to the door just to match the other side. This has worked perfectly and it is my most thriving hive now. 1 3/4" is just the right amount of space between the glass for an observation hive. 1 7/8" is ok.

Do you think maybe you have too much space between the glass, and that's why they're burring it up? By the way, the awnser to your real question is, no I have no idea what the magical solution is, sorry cry

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next