Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 21, 2014, 02:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hive Decimated! What was the culprit? [Pic Heavy]  (Read 1945 times)
JohnD
New Bee

« on: October 18, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »

I'm a first year bee keeper from central Ohio using a TBH.  I checked on my hive today and the following pictures are what I found:

Here is what the hive looked like the last time I took pictures:

Could anyone help me determine what the cause of the decimation was?

Thanks,

JohnD

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:27:14 PM by buzzbee » Logged
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 07:23:46 PM »

John,
I didn't see your pictures, but only three critters come to mind that would wreck a hive in Ohio. They are; people, racoons, and black bears.

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:19 PM »

John,
looks like a classic case of waxmoths.
BjornBee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:31:29 PM »

The hive died of unknown reasons. And nobody will know from your pictures. There is way more to the story that only you know at this time.

The wax was destroyed by wax moths.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 07:33:21 PM »

Yep, wax moths. Your hive got weak for some reason and the wax moths entered and layed some eggs. Did the bees leave?

You might want to do a search, there is plenty to read from previous posts.

Good luck, Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 07:35:11 PM »

also google wax moth images.  looks like your bees tried to take care of it....

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
JohnD
New Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 07:45:50 PM »

Thanks buzzbee for posting the pics!  I guess I messed up on the last pic as it should show what the hive looked like when it was healthy - plenty of comb, honey, and bees.

I guess I have some reading up to do on wax moths.
JohnD
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2009, 07:46:49 PM »

The hive died of unknown reasons. And nobody will know from your pictures. There is way more to the story that only you know at this time.

The wax was destroyed by wax moths.

I wish I knew!   Wink
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2009, 08:32:34 PM »

they may have swarmed, gone queenless, absconded....  it may or may not have been something you would have recognized with experience.  may or may not have been something that you might have caught with regular inspections.

wax moth takes advantage of a weakened hive.  they are generally not the cause of that weakness.  i believe that was the somewhat cryptic point the BjornBee might have been trying to make?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
gardeningfireman
Field Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »

When you said decimated the hive, I thought you meant literally and physically destroyed it! Again, I didn't see the pictures when I first replied!

JohnD
New Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

When you said decimated the hive, I thought you meant literally and physically destroyed it! Again, I didn't see the pictures when I first replied!

Oh, no problem!  Thanks for your help.   Smiley
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 10:25:27 AM »

JohnD, oh what a bummer.  I hope that you keep on keepin' on.  These things happen and it truly is sad.  These are lessons we learn in life, I am the master of bad lesson learning, I could write a book on the lessons that I have learned and are still learning  shocked  Wink Smiley  Have that wonderful, most beautiful day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next