Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 20, 2014, 01:40:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stupid, stupid mistake  (Read 4557 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: October 05, 2009, 02:13:11 PM »

thought i'd mow down the blackberries the morning.  didn't remember the yellowjackets love to nest in the ground under them.  i will be paying for this for days sad.  still debating on going to the hospital.........

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 03:15:57 PM »

Is anyone else around, Kathy?  Be careful!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:30:55 PM »

left you a note on fb. already scouted a neighbor in case i have to go in.  hubby calls with annoying frequency to check on me.   evil  the benadry is not making me sleepy yet, so it must still be blocking the histamines.  boy am i going to be attractive tomorrow.

the tongue swell is really a PIA.  it would be a good excuse for ice cream, but i don't have any sad

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »

Good Lord Kathy... what a nightmare! How many times did you get stung? I hope you monitor yourself closely, it's really nothing to mess with and I hope you the best through it!

I'm guessing there's a YJ nest not long for this world!
Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 03:49:35 PM »

Forget about the blackberries, the only thing that would make that better for me would be the gasoline treatment for the yj.  The gasoline and match on a stick treatment that is.... rolleyes  And not when high on benedryl either.

Ouch.  Hope it goes well for you.

Rick
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:52:16 PM »

Kathy, I've learned that if I'm debating on if I should go to the hospital I probally should go ahead and go. 

Although, i tend to avoid medical treatment at all costs, as it is cost prohibitive for me.  $2500 deductible.. 

Charla Hinkle
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 07:36:58 PM »

Facebook?Huh
IM ON FACEBOOK!!!
Anybody wanna be my friend?
your friend,
john

Oh yeh....sorry 'bout the stings Kathy....Also.....If I mow my blackbwerries down will they make more berries next year? this year hardly produced any blackberries.

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 07:43:46 PM »

Johnny, sent you a PM!

vermmy35
Field Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »

Oh man sorry to hear about the YJ nest.  I have been there and done a similar thing back when I was in high school thats when I found out that I needed to carry an eppi pen.  Good luck and I would head over to the hospital if If were you.

Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 07:51:30 PM »

i think i'm past the worst of it.  my feet are still swollen and i have a few hives, but the tongue swelling has gone down and the intense itching is past.

and yes, i should have gone in....  smiley

to this point, i have downed approximately 300mg of benadryl and only slept for 20 min.  that's a good indication that i was having a pretty big histamine dump!

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 07:53:19 PM »

Wow, I guess!  I hope you feel better tomorrow, but I'm afraid you're going to be very itchy!

iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 10:13:22 PM »

Kathy, even if it's over, go to the doc and get an epi. The next time may only take one sting to be fatal.

YOU'RE NOT REPLACEABLE......

Scads, gasoline, yes. Fire, no...
The fumes will kill them for days. The fire will remove the fumes before it gets down to the queen and the hive will survive.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:23 PM »

PM'd you also, JBF.

this was a most unpleasant experience.  it's also why i fully suit up when i work my bees! 

iddee, i have two epi-pens.  i had them by the couch but they have their own risk, so i didn't want to use them unless i really needed to. 

if anyone had reported to me the symptoms i had, i would have told them to go to the doc ASAP.  because i have set a bad example and posted it, i feel compelled to apologize and admonish others to not follow my example.

there is a fine line between a systemic reaction and anaphylaxis.  my BP never dropped.  my pulse never went up.  my breathing was never impaired.  those are the reasons i stayed home. 

Alexis de Tocqueville
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 06:11:47 AM »

Glad you're ok Smiley 

Charla Hinkle
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 08:49:50 AM »

Scads, gasoline, yes. Fire, no...
The fumes will kill them for days. The fire will remove the fumes before it gets down to the queen and the hive will survive.

I know... Wink  But if I was covered with stings, nothing would make me feel better than watching the little buggers fly flaming into the ground though.

Rick
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »

Kathy, glad it sounds like you are out of the water.  We sometimes do things that we wish that we didn't.  This has been the worst year I have ever in my 57 years of life known.  Everyone has been stung on multiple occasions.  They were very angry this year, probably because the numbers were so high, and perhaps a lack of sufficient food for all the creeps, who knows.  I have been stung several times, not even doing anything, just sitting there and they come and sting.  Go figure.  One landed on my thigh one day, thought I would be a smart whippersnapper and smacked it to kill it.  It died, but not after administering three great stings to my leg.  That hurt for hours and the itch remained for days and days.  Go figure again.  They have been horribly nasty.  I have had wasp traps hanging around the apiary, about 7 of them.  I have dumped and refilled these with diluted beer time and time again.  I have literally killed thousands and thousands of them, it kind of actually freaks me out to think of how hard the bees must have been working to ward off these nasties.  Take care girl.  You are fortunate that you have medical training, you know how to monitor your blood pressure and pulse.  Have that most awesomely great and wonderful day, with great health. Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2009, 10:35:36 AM »

thanks cindi.  you are right, i think.  they have been very bad this year. we have stirred them up when we were out riding, they were all over when camping.  i have always had them at home, but this is the 3rd big nest of them i have found this year.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2009, 02:34:59 PM »

Kathy glad to hear your ok you take care now.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2009, 03:47:26 PM »

Kathy I'm glad you are ok!  What an awful experience.  I got stung Sunday walking across the driveway, little bugger got me on the back of my heel 3-4 times before I squished it.  Still itches, you must be going nuts with the itching!  I think the hot dry summer really gave em a leg up on numbers they are everywhere, killed 3 nests already.  Had frost last night so should cut em down a bit.  Hope you are not miserable for very long!
Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2009, 10:03:08 PM »

Glad they didn't kill you Kathy.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next