Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 10:11:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I am folding  (Read 3126 times)
doak
Super Bee

« on: October 04, 2009, 01:42:00 PM »

Cry I have a 4 frame extractor and a de capping tub. PM me for prices.
I will meet anyone within 50 miles of Macon Ga.
I have lost all but two colonies. Am keeping my smoking tools and suit. Cry :'(doak
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:23:27 PM by doak » Logged
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 02:11:39 PM »

Doak, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.
Next year will probably be better though, the weather just has to be.
Are you sure you want to get rid of all your stuff?
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 02:24:14 PM »

I am going to try to maintain 2 or 3 colonies and crush&strain and do some comb honey.
I am having a major problem with hive beetles. Which is a result of not treating and leaving too much honey. My declining fiscal condition is also playing a big roll.
I will also be relocating my hives but that will not help much being the hive beetles can fly.
Will have to maintain the oil traps. :)doak
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 08:47:11 PM »

Bummer Doak, good luck with everything. Maybe it will turn around and next year will bring more fortune.
Animator
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 11:08:07 PM »

I need one, but I am near Fort Lauderdale. I will be in Orlando (Disney) next month, but still too far away. Could you ship it ?
beee farmer
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 11:27:15 PM »

Doak,
  Even with just a couple of hives a small extracor might still be nice compared witht he mess of cruh and strain.. might want to hang onto that stuff there buddy!  THings might look up for ya before ya know it and ya might want to use it again.  Just a though!

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:53:28 AM »

Oh Doak, that is awful.  How many colonies did you lose?  Please tell that to me....hive losses can also cause emotional losses too, sounds like you are down, and I don't blame you.  Keep that chin up, there will be more colonies.  Think of it in a positive way.  Only a few colonies is much easier to look after than many.  There will be advantages to only keeping a couple, you will see that, and you probably know that, my words are probably moot.  But again, keep happy, don't go away from here, you have some very good forum friends that care about you, you must stick around.  Chins and faces up, to the sky.  Have that most wonderful day, love our life, with great health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
MustbeeNuts
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 12:31:59 PM »

bummer doak, keep the faith, a few hives will keep you intertained, and the stuff , well you never know. next year could be so good you need it. really sorry to hear your hives were lost.

Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 12:46:57 PM »

sorry to hear about your loss.  the cost of keeping bees can sometimes be prohibitive.  keeping a couple of hives will keep your hand in it until things improve.  i hope you will continue here.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »

To cindi: I had built back up to 7 colonies. Now down to two.

To All, about my equipment. Guess I should go ahead and keep it for now.
Thinking if I loose the other two colonies Maybe start next year with a couple nuc's of another strain.
Thank's every one for your kindness. doak Smiley Smiley
contactme_11
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 10:38:12 AM »

To cindi: I had built back up to 7 colonies. Now down to two.

To All, about my equipment. Guess I should go ahead and keep it for now.
Thinking if I loose the other two colonies Maybe start next year with a couple nuc's of another strain.
Thank's every one for your kindness. doak Smiley Smiley

What strain did you have before?
Koala John
House Bee

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 07:41:35 AM »

I'm really sorry you've had such a bad time of it Doak, but I wish for you  a renewal of the passion, and a successful and low cost transition back into this wonderful hobby. Best of luck, you have a lot of support from the members here, Hang in there Doak.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2009, 10:48:23 AM »

Doak, you keeping your chin up?  Hope so....remember I lost 8 of my 9 colonies last winter?  I know your feeling, but I haven't stopped keeping my chin up, I expect you to do the same, smiling.  If you decide to get rid of some equipment, remember to keep enough to keep yourself happy that you didn't get rid of it all, hee, hee.  Have a wonderful day, wonderful health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
trapperbob
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2009, 08:31:49 PM »

I know its frustrating dust yourself off and lick your wounds. Then get up and do it again if it is something you really love just keep trying you said you had a couple of hives start slowly just do splits off of the hives you already have that way you save the expense of buying bees and you already have equipment so no expense there allthe expense you should have is syrup for feeding. So for minimal expense you can build back up to atleast where you were originally. At one time or another we have all lost quite a few hives. And if we have'nt, it'll happen sooner or later. So, don't give up just keep forging ahead. And like Michael says, it all works out if you let it. grin
kedgel
House Bee

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2009, 11:01:21 PM »

Doak:

I kept bees in TN and KY with no problems whatsoever--that was before the introduction of SHB's.  I took it up again this year in FL and learned fast about SHB's.  They KICKED MY A*%!!!!!!!!!!!!  I lost four colonies.  When I found the last of my hives had bailed I was so disgusted I coulda PUKED!  I thought about packing it in too--and did, actually for a few months.  I was so disheartened and discouraged that I didn't even have the heart to bring my last empty hive in.  Every time I looked out my window at my empty hive, I got a sick feeling in my stomach thinking about all the time, money and sweat I'd poured into abject failure.  I finally decided that I wasn't going to let those little bastards get the best of me.  I made a bee-vac and advertised on Craigslist--I guess hoping I'd get a call from someone in the neighborhood where some of my errant bees ended up.  So far I haven't gotten that call, but for the cost of a home-made bee-vac I'm back in business.  So far, so good.  I have 2 colonies that appear to be thriving and I'm going to get another colony this weekend.  I've made some adjustments in the way I manage the hives thanks to the great info I got here.  I'm guardedly optomistic.  Hang in there.  Once bitten by the bee bug, there is no cure.  Face it.  You're doomed like the rest of us to keep these exasperating, fascinating little buggers forever! Wink

Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2009, 06:34:14 PM »

Doak:

I hope you make all the wise decisions and take advantage of the equipment you already own and salvage a new start. If they survive the Winter okay, you can split them and get back to four hives easily enough - the last thing I hope is that you leave us, your membership has been a real help to many and you have lots and lots of friends here.

Just keep us all posted and it sounds like worse case you may need new frames and foundation, but surely you have enough from the hives that may yield plenty to expand without the need to dish out additional costs come Spring.

I have always said, even 11-12 years ago with the start of my Beekeeping Course Section, Beekeeping can be rewarding and equally as frustrating and it is always tough on the backyard beekeeper because they have less equipment to swap and trade out to regroup and pull a beeyard back together.

Best wishes and you know you have all the support you could ask for here, just ask.

John

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2009, 12:15:17 AM »

To all, I will be staying in.  I appreciate all the concern. I just think it was not the time for me to go completely chemical free. They did ok last year although I didn't get any honey I got a few hives back.
Just to loose them this year. I think I have got to try some "managed" queen rearing from "my" stock. Because I would like to keep the Ferrel strand I have. I have not added an out side queen in 2 or 3 years. I don't think I have any of those left.  I did have 3 colonies this year that did really good. At this time I don't think it matters what strand you have, you are going to have to do something to keep some of these pest in check.

To contactme_11
I started in 2000 with Ferrel bees. I have re queened some of my colonies several times over the years  from queen breeders and never got past that year of re queening with those.
I am going to rear a few the right way next spring if I have any colonies left. No walk away splits.

To beemaster,
 I have almost all your stuff from several years before I even came on the forum.
At the time I didn't do enough looking to see that the forum was here, could have been here 4 or 5 years earlier. What a bummer. shocked rolleyes Smiley

Some of you may remember about 3 years ago I had a bumper crop of honey, around 700 pounds from 7 or 8 colonies. That's not shabby at all. If I may say so myself.
I am going to the long bottoms so I don't have to do so much lifting to check in on the brood chamber. If you think about it, with the long bottoms, You don't disturb the cluster with that configuration as much as the conventional method, plus that eliminates having to reverse the bottom brood boxes, if you do that, and I do.
night, night every one, night john boy,lol
doak
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2009, 12:31:04 AM »

I think we've all had a hard year. I also think you'd regret not keeping your equipment... a year goes by fast. You might really miss it next summer!!

Hang in there. Cheesy

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2009, 02:42:06 PM »

Doak, I'm sorry to hear you had such losses; but I'm glad to hear you'll be sticking around. - If I can present a little positive thinking into it
you have two colonies who have survived whatever it was that devastated the rest.  I can only imagine what a bummer it is. I know I'm just a newbeek but survival of the fittest is a real easy concept.

be happy and make others happy.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

Both Bee Culture and American Bee Journal have good articles on dealing with the hive beetles, Jennifer Berry's article in BC talks specifically to your area, Doak, and she wrote about how bad those beetles are in certain areas of Georgia - that's so awful!  Keep the faith, something will work out for you in your fight against those little nasties!

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
contactme_11
House Bee

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 09:04:20 AM »

I started in 2000 with Ferrel bees. I have re queened some of my colonies several times over the years  from queen breeders and never got past that year of re queening with those.
I am going to rear a few the right way next spring if I have any colonies left. No walk away splits.
doak
Why do you say "no walk away splits.". If you're trying to keep the feral genes and develop bees more adapted to your area, wouldn't that be probably the most affective way? Or are you worried about destruction from SHB when the hive is weak?
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:53 AM »

If you're trying to keep the feral genes and develop bees more adapted to your area, wouldn't that be probably the most affective way?

http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/can-you-afford-emergency-queens/

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

mathispollenators
House Bee

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 12:19:11 PM »

I feel raising your own queens is good if you have the time to do it.  We can control our own stock better that way.  I personally don't have time to do it myself so I do slightly different.  When I make splits it's hundreds at the time and buying breed queens would cut into bank accounts quick.  Here's what it I do if the times not right to make the "walk away splits" letting the bees make their own queens naturally.  I'll use something like Bee-Go to drive them out my top hives.  After I get them down place an excluder between the hives letting them repopulate the top having the queen in the bottom hive body.  The next day I'll have already ordered queen cells for them I go back and put them in.  These cells are like $3 each lots less than breed queens.  Now I have unbreed queens of a diffrent stock than what I have that I'll have our drones breed.  I won't say all the cells take and I get all the splits I make like that because I don't.  But I will say I've never had a hive reject a $12 to $15 dollar queen meaning I waisted that money.  Also for that same cash I can get 4 hives if only half take that's 2 I'll make.  And usally I can average better than half easily.  Now the draw back with the cells is they are delicate and when you get them in your hands you have to use them then.  No waiting or banking they have to be put in the hive when you get them.

Without Thomas Edison & Alexander Graham Bell we wouldn't have the graveyard shift or Telemarketers.  So how do you like them now?
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 05:47:12 PM »

To contact_me,
I would rather raise some queens for increasing seance I would have to rear some for re queening
with queens from my stock anyhow. I did not have such good luck with walk away splits this year.

To mathispollintors,
Time is not a factor with me that early in the spring. Heat is the main factor beginning the first of July.
I have the equipment to do some queens, so if I don't try to get too many colonies I think things will turn out ok.
For some reason, I have good early buildups if I have a good colony to begin with.

To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak
tillie
Super Bee

Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 08:46:27 PM »

Hi Doak,
I just saw and read through this whole thread.  I'm glad you've reconsidered folding.  I'm sad about all of your losses.

This has been such a bad year for bees in Georgia.  I don't know anyone in my bee club who can say that they had a good year.  The weather was funny since March here in Georgia and bees and beekeepers suffered...so I'm not surprised that yours was bad like everyone else's.

I'm glad you are keeping your equipment....it's always an inspiration to have boxes, etc to hope for bees.

You are a great addition to this forum and have helped me whenever you've chimed in on mine or other posts that I've read.

Take care and keep up the good beekeeping work,

Linda T in Atlanta

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You never can tell with bees" - Winnie the Pooh

Click for Atlanta, Georgia Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
doak
Super Bee

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 09:42:59 PM »

tillie, I was so up set when you told about your loss with the flood that I couldn't even reply. Hope you will forgive me. I am just sensitive about some things and when that happens I just have to shut down what I am doing at the time and get into something else.
 Love you all.  doak.
sarafina
House Bee

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 11:45:28 PM »

I am so sorry for your losses, doak.  I hope next year is better for you.

Sarah
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2009, 01:11:09 AM »

To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak

Doak, I'm much younger than you and I've had a bad go with dehydration (the doc said worse for me because I'm the kind who doesn't just collapse) - not saying I'm tough I just get really really stupid and disoriented if overheated & dehydrated.
  All I can say is - tools man, tools. stuff to lift  stuff to move, stuff to move lifted stuff. - doesn't have to be pricey, just  functional.

be happy and make others happy.
bigbearomaha
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »

To every one,
Once you have a heat related problem like I did in 86, then you have to be more careful when it is "Hot" and as your age increases. I turn 68 in December. I would like to add some more years to that.  :)doak

Doak, I'm much younger than you and I've had a bad go with dehydration (the doc said worse for me because I'm the kind who doesn't just collapse) - not saying I'm tough I just get really really stupid and disoriented if overheated & dehydrated.
  All I can say is - tools man, tools. stuff to lift  stuff to move, stuff to move lifted stuff. - doesn't have to be pricey, just  functional.

I know the feeling.   I am not a small fella, about 3 years ago,  I had a bad case of heat exhaustion and a viral infection at the same time.  Mind you,  I am also a truck driver.  Last thing  I remember was pulling the truck over because  I had a very bad headache.  Next thing  I know,  I am waking up in the ER.  County sheriff said he found me standing outside of my truck, standing in between the tractor and trailer, just about to fall into traffic.

After two days and a spinal tap later, I was able to stand upright again.  To this day,  if I even begin to get too hot, it affects me a lot faster.  Take care of yourself and if you can, work with a 'buddy', it not only keeps you company, it makes the work go by quicker and easier.

Big Bear
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next