Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 21, 2014, 03:54:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re-introduction of Short-Haired Bumblebees (Bombus subterraneus) to the UK  (Read 907 times)
Bees-in-Art
House Bee

« on: October 03, 2009, 08:00:15 AM »

The Short-Haired Bumblebee (Bombus subterraneus) was declared extinct in Britain in 2000. Once widespread, the techniques of modern farming decimated its favoured habitat of uncultivated grassland. Now a partnership between the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, Hymettus, Natural England and the RSPB is promoting Agri-environment schemes to provide ideal habit for bumblebees in the Dungeness area of Kent. 100 years ago Bombus subterraneus was taken to New Zealand to provide pollination of clover there and they have since thrived. In the spring of 2010 Bombus subterraneus queens from this New Zealand population will be re-introduced to the Dungeness area. Where it is hoped, under the Agri-environment scheme, that farmland seeded with mixed wild flowers and grasses will help the queens to establish a new viable population.

Andrew

Bombus subterraneus

Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 10:32:11 AM »

Bees-In-Art, well that is just nothing short of very cool.  I think that I may have seen this bombus on my property this summer many times.  When I looked at the picture you put in the post, it looked like the ones that I have seen.  The reason why I noticed these bumblebees was because it looked like half their bum was missing.  Their abdomen was very very "short", I can only describe it as half gone bum.  Oh well, wish I had taken a picture, I thought they looked so strange, I thought there was something wrong with the species, but I guess not  Smiley Smiley  Have that most awesomely great day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next