Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 01, 2014, 06:06:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your thoughts, please...  (Read 1088 times)
iddee
Galactic Bee

« on: September 21, 2009, 11:40:15 AM »

For the first time in history, the Democratic Congress will not allow an
increase in the social security COLA (cost of living adjustment).
In fact, The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation predicts there may not be
any COLA for the next three years. However, the per person monthly
Medicare insurance premium will be increased from the 2009 premium
of $96.40 to $104.20 in 2010 and to $ 120.20 for the year 2011. Give this to all seniors that you know. Remind them to not vote for the incumbent senators and congressmen in the 2010 and the 2012
elections.

Keep in mind that our beloved elected officials did give themselves about a 10% or $15,000 a year increase in pay!! That is probably where the money went that should have been our measly 2% cost of living increase!! Why would we want any of them back in office???

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2009, 12:29:27 PM »

if i get past the point where there should be no social security or medicare, and the fact that there were COLA increases in excess of real cost of living increase in past years, then i guess it's 'not fair'.

if i had my way, congress would go back to not getting paid.  they'd be less apt to look at it as a career choice.  guess that won't happen, but how about a pay roll back to 10 years ago, with all increases voted on by the people?  they work for us, we should decide whether or not they have earned a raise.  get rid of those travel expense accounts, and all those staff allowances.  that adds millions PER REPRESENTATIVE.

toss them out and start over. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »

It's not official yet, but us Fereral Employees are getting a whoping 2% raise this upcoming year. Far below the previous years and Obama want to refurbish and upgrade military and governmental buidings, creating job (mostly to contractors - few big jobs can be handles by Public Works Departments) so the money that would equal us out to a Cost of Living is being used to maintain and often save buildings already in use - the chief reasoning is energy consevation.

I cannot blame it on Obama, but a Royal SNAFU about a decade ago was our old Administration building which had over one million dollars of restoration done to it. What wan't caught was that bids had already been placed to demolish the building and literally the demolishors had to wait for the restoration to be complee to tear it down. In most removal governmental bids, the contractors BUY the buildings, meaning that everything in the building belongs to the contractor. The incredible custom windows, super energy savers were bought and paid for using government money - not knowing that within 6 months they would be a GIFT to demo contractors who gingerly removed and sold the hundreds of windows. It is a classic case of one hand has no idea of what the other is doing.

Now think of this on a national scale, literally worldwide if US properties on foreign soil get the same treatment. I see billions of dollars turned over for the initial projects and just as much reachng the hands of demolition teams who scalp everything from boilers, windows, piping and anything that has value.

I know everthing has a life expectancy, infrastructure is falling apart - but we also need to organize the order in which projects are done, catch the mishaps listed above and take care of the roads and bridges which are crumbling after decades of no preventitive maintenance. If you have a building that can wait, then put it at the back of the line. Hit anything that need immediate care, which saves lives.

I don't mind seeing millions of people being put to work to redo the things falling apart. New York City is a classic expample, so much of it has reached its life expectancy and exceeded it - since we have IMAGINARY MONEY for bank bail-outs, wars, cash for clunkers and other costly issues, then I don't see getting an honest days work out of a needy American to rebuild our country. I feel sorry for the logistics person, it is an amazinging complicated job but I believe a necessary evil unless you want to see everything crumble to dust.

I look at National Historical Sites, rebuilt to exact original condition, but I'll never forget that Ford's Theater where Limcoln was shot had burnt to the ground and NOTHING in that building is real, it is a giant tourist stage prop. Do we need such things? At Navy Lakehurst where I am we have Hangar One, at one time the largest Hangar on the planet, housing all US Lighter Than Air Craft and of course the Hindenburg 12 times in 1936 and the morgue for those who died when the Hindengurg burst into flames on its maiden voyage in 1937. It is (or appears sound even today) it was retiled with the original white, pink and off burgandy color siding tiles many years ago and it is on the National Building Archives Register - I don't know what needs to be done to keep it running (now as a navy and DOD school on one side and a Vo-tech school on the other with a huge flight deck housing a flight simulator in the center of the structure - the flight sim is very unique, about 30 million worth of unique, it is used to teach pilots to fly UNMANNED aircraft into real battle situations.

It is part of the next generation of warfare and today Navy Lakehurst (soon, within a month to be owned and controlled by the airforce) is very different from the 30's when it was known as the AIRSHIP CAPITOL OF THE WORLD - today it is Aircraft Carrier Support Facility where launch and retrival equipment use specifically for Air Craft Carries in the fleet. We have changed and more changes coming soon, but the historical value is strong and I think that can be said about every military base.

Multiply that times the federal buidings and the project could equal or surpass the building of the National Highway System which helped dig us out from the depression. I'm for seeing American Dollars spent on American Jobs, which is better than gifting it to countries that hate us, with the hope that stuffing a few billion in their pockets will change their thinking about us - which it rarely ever does.

So giving yourself a 10% pay raise must be nice, imagine if your boss said to you "Go ahead, decide how much of a raise you'd like" just think of how it could be life changing. But of course, that doesn't happen, unless you are part of the legislative branch I guess.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 12:50:43 PM »

Kathy:

What you said reminds me of New Jersey Governor Corsine who spent $50 million of his own money to get elected and I'm sure spending as much for reelection now - I lose all faith on anyone that would spend THAT much on a job that pays about $200K a year.

Surely, there should be restrictions to such things, starting with a National Primary Day (which is getting closer and closer with all those who joined Super Tueday) but if you spend 5000 times more to run your campaign than your salary, you should either be instituted as insane or watched with a micoscope. He is taxing everything that moves or is stationary already, the only thing I haven't seen is a tax tax, but he will likely get reelected and there will be plenty of time for that.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:14 PM »

if you are taxed on a federal refund, you have a tax tax.   evil  the feds got the use of your money interest free for a year, then the state taxes you on that refund as income.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
tshnc01
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2009, 01:16:15 PM »

iddee, are you saying that the congress should change the rules for the Social Security COLA, and not have them tied to the CPI, which will be negative this year?

Also, based on my quick lookup on the internet (meaning I could be wrong), it looks like the average congressman received a pay increase of $4700 at the end of last year.  I belive that these pay raises are "automatic" in a similar way to the Social Security COLA and also based on CPI; therefore I would be shocked if they got a pay raise for the coming year.  And BTW, I am in no way defending their salaries, just trying to make sure we are all working from the same set of facts...

...Tim

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2009, 03:24:10 PM »

remember, they get paid on the fiscal year, not calendar year.  they got the raise.  now what do they have coming for the next year?

raise should be tied to performance of the individual or the company.  why in the heck should someone expect a pay raise just because the cost of living goes up a bit.  of course, we might not want to encourage more effort from congress.  they more they do, the more we lose!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2009, 03:38:19 PM by kathyp » Logged

Alexis de Tocqueville
tshnc01
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2009, 10:43:02 AM »

The House voted 406-18 NOT to increase the Medicare premium for next year.

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »

our old Administration building which had over one million dollars of restoration done to it. What wan't caught was that bids had already been placed to demolish the building and literally the demolishors had to wait for the restoration to be complete to tear it down.

Wow, that's awesome!  Sign me up for the new government healthcare!!

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2009, 12:54:43 PM »

The House voted 406-18 NOT to increase the Medicare premium for next year

they don't need to tick off the oldsters anymore than they already have!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next