Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 28, 2014, 05:34:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Granny Thong  (Read 5608 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 07:41:12 PM »

deciding when and which nursing home I will be place in

lau

we always appreciate more what we work hard for.  make sure you leave a list of good homes where he can find it!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 11:58:59 PM »

I paid ALL of my son's college expenses every semester. It was tough but he graduated debt free. I also bought him a new car as a graduation gift.

This is the way I looked at the situation. I never had to get him out of jail. He made decent grades. He does not smoke or do drugs. He is my only child. He votes Republican. He will be the one deciding when and which nursing home I will be place in. What is the difference in giving it to him now when he needs it or leaving it to him in my will?

He turned out OK and has a good job, but I do wonder if I had let him have more of a vested interest would he be more ambitious?

Steve  

Steve,
          Its great if you can do that and as you said he turned out well.
I have 6 children and I hope all will go to college.
However, at $40,000 per year(4 year schools) for each kid there was no way on earth I could pay for all of their expenses, even with their scholarships.

I have 2 in school now and a son going next year.
If they went to state schools it may have been different, I could have helped more, in fact what I pay for each kid that loans don't cover is more than any of our state schools cost for the year. So I could have sent them to a state school and covered their tution but I still think they need to contribute something to their own education so that they own it.
Even if I had a ton of money and could write a check to cover all their tution I would not do it.
I would let them take out loans and think they are paying for their own education and then I would pay off their loans when they graduate.
My husband and I have always agreed that if there ever came a time that we could afford to pay off their school loans, as in we came into money or something then we would help out but we would never tell the kids that because I don't want them to know that in advance.
They should assume that they are going to graduate being responsible for their own education.
Still though even at that I think I would prefer to give them money for a down payment on a home and let them pay on the school loans.

I think school loans are probably the least of all the evils of debt. They have a low interest rate and you can take many years to pay them back. You also have something to show for it in the end.
If you are going to have debt this is the kind to have.

My oldest is a senior in college and she pursued an internship with a marketing company over the summer, one that is near her school and that she can do while she is in college.
They have already mentioned hiring her when she graduates.

My other daughter took a job in the school admissions office during the school year and they liked her drive so they offered her the job for the summer and into this upcomimg school year as well.
They also offered her a position in housing, it came with the perk of a free private room all summer so she would not have to commute, but she could still make it home on weekends.
She worked at both jobs all summer, bouncing back and forth across the street to each office. She loved it, she goes to school in Boston and loves the city.
She can work whatever hours fit in her class schedule, before or after classes or days off.
This year they also offered her the position of resident advisor.
All 3 are paying jobs.
I think debt can be a good motivator.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2009, 09:58:57 AM »

my father had a lot of great sayings, but the one he used on my mom as he kicked my brother out the door is still one of my favorites.

"The prospect of starvation is the greatest motivator."   grin

my neighbors have 5 kids.  3 have gone through college at their parents expense.  two have ended up back at home.  seems to happen a lot these days.  i never understood that.  when i was young, i couldn't wait to get out on my own.  i would not have considered going back to my parents.  it would have been an admission of failure of my great quest.  i would not have considered going to my parents for money.  1st because i knew they didn't have any, but also just because of my own pride.  

oh well...rambling...coffee time.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2009, 10:18:26 AM »

Natalie,

I hope you do not feel that I was talking negative about how you educated your children. I admire the fact that you have six children that will go to college. If I had six or even more than one, things would have been totally different around here. He is working on his master now but he and his employer are paying.

I have always said, there are two kinds of debt; good and bad. College education and home mortgage debt is good. Credit card debt is bad.

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2009, 12:54:17 PM »

Oh no Steve, not at all. I didn't think you were being negative one bit.
It was just me explaining and rambling, I do that sometimes.  Smiley
I was just explaining how it works for us. Even though I couldn't afford to pay all their expenses it worked well for us anyway because it gave them motivation that has opened new doors to them through their jobs.
When I waitressed I worked with alot of college kids and I noticed a difference with the ones that were working hard to pay their way and the ones who were there on their parents dime.
There were some that did their homework during break time and worked hard at school and then there were the ones who skipped class to hang out at the restaraunt and a couple that had even flunked out of school and had not informed their parents yet.
Of course this is not the way it is for every student but it struck me that there was a difference with at least the ones I worked with and I learned from that.
I don't want you to feel I was being critical of your choice either. I am glad it worked for you and every kid is different so different situations apply.
The important thing is that they get an education and do something with their lives, not how they get there.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2009, 01:06:33 PM »

Do women find european cut speedos on men as attractive as most men (other than a few of us here) find thongs on women?

Tried getting a granny thong (well, not granny yet!) for my wife and she said she'd only wear it if I did.  After feeling like I was getting cut in half with a kite string we agreed and it stays where it belongs...at the bottom for the dresser drawer.  embarassed

Sorry guys, no pictures.

grin

Rick
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 01:10:55 PM »

As far as the hijacker thread...
My parent's paid for 13 years of my primary education (as well as for my 6 siblings) at a private Christian school.  I coasted through it. 

I paid for my own college (books, transportation, lodging, food), and since it was MY money, I worked a lot harder for it!!

4 of us made it through 4 years of college, 1 through 2 years, and the other 2 are doing very well without it. Smiley

Rick
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »

I personally do not like the speedos at all!!
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2009, 09:51:01 PM »

EEEks, shocked I didn't describe what my idea of a granny thong was!  It's that pair of underware that are at the bottom of the drawer you only wear when you haven't done laundry yet or "that week".  You know, with the stretched out waistband that goes to your chin!! You hope all day you don't have to go to the emergency room.  I tried a real one once for about 10 minutes, that was about enough don't know how those girls wear em all day doing everything. That would traumatize Chels also..hmmm, may be a fun thing do dig out & do!  Nursing homes are gonna be scary places in 40-50 years with all those sagging tattoos running down the halls....I'm with you on the speedos Natalie!  it is fun to see where threads go to!
Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2009, 11:50:14 AM »

EEEks, shocked I didn't describe what my idea of a granny thong was!  It's that pair of underware that are at the bottom of the drawer you only wear when you haven't done laundry yet or "that week".  You know, with the stretched out waistband that goes to your chin!! You hope all day you don't have to go to the emergency room.  I tried a real one once for about 10 minutes, that was about enough don't know how those girls wear em all day doing everything. That would traumatize Chels also..hmmm, may be a fun thing do dig out & do!  Nursing homes are gonna be scary places in 40-50 years with all those sagging tattoos running down the halls....I'm with you on the speedos Natalie!  it is fun to see where threads go to!
Jody

Boy, I thought those were bloomers!  Guess my wife DOES have a granny thong or two, but that isn't anything I bought her....  shocked

Rick
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next