Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 26, 2014, 04:15:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sugar Water in Honey?  (Read 1126 times)
MikeG
House Bee

BAN THE DEEPS

« on: September 17, 2009, 08:30:01 PM »

How do you tell if there is sugar water in your honey?

I fed sugar water to my new 3 lb. package of bees this spring.  When I took the feeder off (top feeder), I added a new super with foundation.  And then added another.  When I harvested the honey from the top super, it is very light colored and a little on the thin side.  Could they have moved sugar water up into the new super?  The honey is quite tasty.  They have already filled another medium super.  (4 mediums foundation from scratch and filled).

Thanks.

Mike
wildbeekeeper
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:39:28 PM »

most likely that sugar water was used to draw out comb.  If you added supers/hove bodies as you went then stopped feeding them once all was drawn out then what you have is pure honey!  If you have continuously fed them up until now you may have sugar water honey.  Generally spring honey is pretty light to begin with.
Joelel
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »

How do you tell if there is sugar water in your honey?

I fed sugar water to my new 3 lb. package of bees this spring.  When I took the feeder off (top feeder), I added a new super with foundation.  And then added another.  When I harvested the honey from the top super, it is very light colored and a little on the thin side.  Could they have moved sugar water up into the new super?  The honey is quite tasty.  They have already filled another medium super.  (4 mediums foundation from scratch and filled).

Thanks.

Mike

All your honey can be different in color and taste,depends where they get it from during the year.

Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »

My experience is that newly extracted honey does feel thin.  Over time it seems to get thicker.  Warmer honey will be thinner too, maybe that is part of it.

How thick it feels isn't a good gauge since the bees treat sugar water and nectar the same way (its basically the same thing - sucrose water)...enzymes, drying, capping, etc.  Nectar actually starts out much less concentrated, typically.

Honey comes in all colors - from water white to flourescent yellow to molasses black.  The white stuff is typically the most expensive, so so it sounds like you've got a good batch there! Smiley

Flavor is most important.  If it has little flavor then maybe there's sugar water in there.  But I really really doubt it if it is two supers up.

Rick

Rick
alflyguy
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 10:37:26 AM »

I don't know if they move stores around or not. I stop feeding before putting supers on. I think that is sufficient insurance against sugar water in the honey.
MikeG
House Bee

BAN THE DEEPS

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 11:03:10 AM »

Thanks very much for those responses.  I definitely ceased feeding when I added the supers.  And since those supers only had foundation and no comb, I felt safe.  But I had read that they sometimes move stuff around.

The honey tastes quite good.  Guess I will quite worrying!
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »

It was my understanding that they do move the honey around whereever they need it. Just what I have been told from other beeks and I believe this forum.
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 11:39:25 AM »

Alot of beeks feed at one time of year are another. The concern is feeding while supers are on to gather an intentionally adulterated product.

You have not done this --- enjoy you honey and the fruits of your girls labor :- Smiley!

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next