Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 23, 2014, 08:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ah, time for a little story, to begin the thoughts of the mind's eye  (Read 1936 times)
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »

This morning, yes, getting up early again these days, routines, you know.

The skies are yet dark.  The moon a teeny tiny sliver in the eastern sky.  Bright stars surround this moon, to the west, the stars are not so bright.  I would imagine that the reflection of light on the moon makes the stars gather this too.  It seemed unusual to me.  I want to take you here, by my side, to this early morning experience, in my part of the world.

I listen, there is silence, it is Sunday morning, most of my world here is still asleep, there is narry a sound of a car.  I am listening, far off in the distance, to the west, I hear the "who who, who whooooooo" of what I have learned (I believe this was you Ann that taught me this, in a post that I made, so long ago) is probably the barn owl.  Far, far off to the east, I hear the reply of a second barn owl, that beautiful and haunting sound, that carries so clearly through the air, on those clear and crisp coming-up-to-autumn air.  Their calls have always caught my attention, sometimes, when they are close, like in our ravine, they scare me, their calls are so loud.  But then many things scare me, especially those chilling screams of the coyotes, they chill me right through to the very depth of my soul, even when I lay in my bed and they wake me in the middle of the night. 

Back to my tale.  It is long before sunrise.  Now I hear different sounds.  It is the sound of three roosters.  Two of mine and one that is a long ways off.   I firstly hear Hercules, the standard Blue Cochin, his voice is deep, his call is long and drawn out, something that I love to listen to.  Ivan (our Light Brahma, whom I got from Brian Bray as a hatching egg, hatched close now to one year ago) is next, his voice is not as deep as Hercules, but it is more powerful, and the call is perhaps one or two seconds longer.  They both sleep in separate night houses with their gals and others.  Far, far away, I can hear the sound of another rooster, it is not close, but if I can hear this dude in the night air, surely my two roosters can.  They sound their morning calls, over and over and over. 

Soon I will have a third rooster call, he does not yet call from his night house.  That would be Jimmy, my four month old Buff Orpington cockeral and he has so recently began to crow.  He scares himself half to death when he makes his first call of the morning.  I watch him, and I get a real kick out of him, he brings that great smile to my face.  Poor Jimmy, he has a very sickly sounding crow, he has only been crowing about 4 days.  When he makes his first crow of the day when I let him out, he runs for the hills; surely he must think there is another rooster, immediately on top of him or only a millimeter from his side.  One the second rooster call, he discovers it is himself, and then is happy, smiling.  Back to that tale. 

The roosters continue their call for about 15 minutes, and then silence, they are all pooped out, I would imagine that that much crowing must make them weary, hee, hee).  Yes, where was I?  Right -- my silent world, looking at the brilliance of the night stars, the thoughts of a busy day forthcoming, a day to have some fun, as I have had all summer, just enjoying life, with the chickens, the birds and the bees.  Have a most wonderful day, enjoy this day, and love it as there was narry a tomorrow, along with great and beautiful health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 10:14:42 AM »

My little guy chimes in at 4:30 these days, for about 15 minutes, and then he's quiet, maybe, but only until the first car door slams shut as my youngest goes off to work at about 5:15.  Then he's roused again when Greg gets home, usually around 6 am.  There is no one to answer him, however, the only roos nearby are about a half mile away, they can't hear each other.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Sparky
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:55:35 AM »

Cindi. Girl I don't know what you do but you need to be a writer. I enjoyed reading your little story of tranquil country life to the point, it like, puts me there. Now bare in mind this is coming from someone that mostly enjoys only reading about auto stuff, tech. type info. and of coarse bee related material but I think I would have to buy a book if you wrote it. BEE Happy. Tim.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:29:30 PM »

THERE she is!
Cindis' a good writer!
 But Cindi....you need to toss a little Dean Koontz or Stephen King into the salad every now and then! That'll keep us guessing!...Sometimes I think you're the only normal person in here the way you express youself grin

your friend,
john

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 03:55:37 PM »

Cindi...I helped you out a little here....a little revisioning, so to speak..THIS is how I would wake up if I was at your house!

This morning, yes, getting up early again these days, routines, you know...Feeling the joints of ones knees and elbows crack like twigs from a willow tree...Wondering how many more mornings you’ll experience like this till the soul gatherer takes you away.

The skies are yet dark.  The moon a teeny tiny sliver in the eastern sky.  Bright stars surround this moon, to the west, the stars are not so bright, as if covered by a womans’ black veil she would wear at a funeral.  I would imagine that the reflection of light on the moon makes the stars gather this too, but obviously not since the shadow of death is cast upon all objects in the universe.  It seemed unusual to me.  I want to take you here, by my side, to this early morning experience, in my part of the world....The Twilite Zone.

I listen, there is silence, it is Sunday morning, most of my world here is still asleep, there is narry a sound of a car.  I am listening, far off in the distance, to the west, I hear the "who who, who whooooooo" of what I have learned (I believe this was you Ann that taught me this, in a post that I made, so long ago) is probably the barn owl....How do I know this though? Perhaps, there is something true to the story of the old witch being murdered and her soul being cast into an old, white, barn owl.  Far, far off to the east, I hear the reply of a second barn owl, that beautiful and haunting sound, that carries so clearly through the air, on those clear and crisp coming-up-to-autumn air.  Their calls have always caught my attention, sometimes, when they are close, like in our ravine...The doorway to hell itself... They scare me, their calls are so loud.  But then many things scare me, especially those chilling screams of the coyotes, they chill me right through to the very depth of my soul, even when I lay in my bed and they wake me in the middle of the night.

Well,...thats all the butchering of the story I could do....It was too good a story to go on stretching it into the realms of horror any longer.

Hey, I got an idea!!...Wanna have a sleepover??...We can all lay down at nite, listening to the gnawing of giant rats in the walls of my house...Wondering, ..How long till the furry demons break through and chew into our flesh?

Ohh man......I need a break from these meds...Things are getting to bizarre for my own good!....Or, maybe its because Walmart has their halloween stuff out already shocked

your dear friend,
John Smiley

JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 04:08:09 PM »

THERE she is!
Cindi's' a good writer!
 But Cindi....you need to toss a little Dean Koontz or Stephen King into the salad every now and then! That'll keep us guessing!...Sometimes I think you're the only normal person in here the way you express youself grin

your friend,
john

I agree with you John, maybe something like:

After everything went silent and still, there was this unmistakable chill in the air, a most fearful chill, as if pure evil was creeping up my very spine. I had goosebumps, yet I was sweating at the same time, was the grim reaper near? Was it my time to go?

Suddenly, I felt as if I was not alone, there seemed to be someone or something there, behind me, just past the rock pile.

I slowly turned my head, purposely making slow and methodical movements, so I wouldn't stir this thing, this "Entity" that perhaps had come for me.

I saw a shape in the shadows and my legs began to shake and my knees almost buckled. I could barely stand up!

The shape was familiar and unmistakable and I knew my time had come.

This is what I saw:

...JP catch chick I dunno Kiss Kiss Kiss

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 05:18:57 PM »

lau lau lau

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 06:33:52 PM »

You guys are hysterical!!  grin  Jp Is that Cindi's nasty old muscovy that you love so much?
Ya'll know what Cindi is gonna do to you both evil
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2009, 09:15:28 PM »

Had me right on the edge of my seat JP!!!...good stuff!!!! grin grin grin

Oh, go ahead Nat...whats your version??? grin

your friend,
john

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 11:13:12 PM »

You guys are total brats!! That is what Cindi would say if she saw how you both butchered her beautiful account of her silent morning listening to the screams of the couple next door fighting and throwing things at each other. Oops!! I'm a brat also.
poka-bee
Super Bee

I am NEVER bored!!

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 11:21:08 PM »

You guys made my day! lau lau lau All wonderful adaptations on Cindi's beautiful account!  Brats all of you!  Keep it comingQ  I love to see how warped minds work! Too tired to add any myself but will be checking in tomorrow to see what others have done!
Jody

I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 04:03:42 AM »

Bloody birds! How many would you like?

Im still hurling lemons at the willie wagtail that sings at 3-4am, if he doesnt get a root soon, he will be dead. Theres another I havent Id a few houses away that fires up at 5, a short sharp loud douoble call, 12 seconds apart, I hope a cat gets it.

I do enjoy the feral blackbird that rattles off at least a dozen native bird calls around sunset. It does the williewagtail, sparrow,  Rosellas, butcher bird, a few thrushes, some wattlebirds, and a heap I cant recognise. Doesnt do indian mynah of which we have zillions, crow, choock etx. it misses a lot of more common birds.

Sad to say I had a rat trap in the garage, seems a blackbird got int here and decapitated itself onthe trap. So sad, hope it wasnt my lil mate.

when I was in the bush, I could sleep through the birds as I didnt have to get up early. When you are working and your body has trained itself to a sleep pattern, it doenst appreciate birds. Cant have a Rooster here, unless you are in the scrub. I am told, that if you cage em overnight so that thay cant stretch their necks up to crow, they dont bother until you let em out.

My favourite is the Kookaburra, one of the kingfisher family. Its laugh really is unique, I like its beak. Huge, thick and made for tackling 6 foot long snakes no problem. Easy to tame as in they will arrive the same time each day if you feed them. People feed em strips of liver, they bang and bash it to death before they eat it. More natural behaviour than if you just feed em mince steak, like people do to the magpies.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 07:06:20 AM »

Quote from: mick
My favourite is the Kookaburra, one of the kingfisher family. Its laugh really is unique...
Dang it, Mick, I'm gonna have that song in my head all day now...

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be!

Lone
Queen Bee

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »

Why did the owl 'owl?  Because the woodpecker would peck 'er.
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05:04 AM »

Tim, thank you for those kind words, I have been told many a time I should write a book, never a book, but I could compile my stories and tales one day, that would make for some pretty neat reading, it would be very juvenile, down-to-earth, and not edited by a professional editor, something like what a very inexperienced teller-of-a-tale would be.  Just a little book on "thoughts", smiling.  Maybe that day will one day come.

Hee, hee, this is what makes this forum that fun place to be.  That place in time, where we gosh and we kid, we play, as little children do, no malice, just big bits of fun, yay!!!

There are indeed brats on this forum, and you all know who you are (Annette, you are getting close, smiling, you may soon be joining those ranks, hee, hee).

I dunno, John.  I bet if we had a sleepover on our porch, like all the kids here do in the summertime, I could tell you tales that would make the hair on your neck surely be raised and stand on end.  I am also an extremely talented woman when it comes to scaring the living daylights out of the children with scarey stories.  You would certainly be too, don't doubt that for a minute, smiling.  Wouldn't it be so nice, to go back in time to being children again, that beautiful and innocent life of the child, to have those most scariest of night sleepovers with those tales that surely do sound like they may have come from the crypt.  It was very neat that you took that time to revamp my little story, I found it extremely amusing, cooooooool.

Natalie, oh yes, that picture that you see, that is Whoppo, that is the drake that moved off to another home, smiling.  (shoulda moved JP with him), way off to booneyville, way up north, about 3 hours from my home.  JP is in love with Whoppo, but only because he had such visions of him being sent through cyberspace, to land directly on his dinner plate, cooked and all ready to go.  Let your mouth water JP, you never did get a chance to taste ol' Whoppo boy, smiling.

My forum friends, I love you all, I have such fun here -- you all know we have cultivated very deep and meaningful relationships, and there will be more friends to make -- it makes me feel like a child again, our playing, our goshing, our kidding, our imagination flyin', as there narry was a tomorrow.  I am back.... my routines of school days and now are being re-set.  Summertime is now only a memory, this summer has been so filled with stuff and fun, these memories will last me a lifetime.  It has been busy, now it is time to get serious, smiling.  Let's play!!! Let's have some fun!!!  I bet many of us have been absent and busy, let's back to us!!!  Have that awesomely great and most wonderful day, lovin', livin', enjoyin' -- with great health wishes for us all.  Cindi

PS.  Right, forgot to comment, yes, JohnnyBigFish, I AM the only normal one here, oops, did I say that?  Smiling that big smile.  You know that I am only kidding, I am by far, not a normal gal, smiling......

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2009, 04:20:17 AM »

My favourite is the Kookaburra, one of the kingfisher family. Its laugh really is unique...
Dang it, Mick, I'm gonna have that song in my head all day now...

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Merry, merry king of the bush is he
Laugh, Kookaburra! Laugh, Kookaburra!
Gay your life must be!

Dang it Indy, I was gunna post the lyrics, but I didnt think anyone but Geoff would know them!

WELL DONE OUTSTANDING!

when I was about 7, the teacher used to get us to sing that "in a round", break us into groups, then go off for a smoke. 40 kids all singing all over the place, it used to drive us mad, no wonder I can still hear that song.

Strike me lucky, how old are we that we used to sing gay songs, or songs with gay in it. try that with a bunch of kids nowdays and see how far you get.
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2009, 06:36:06 AM »

Dang it Indy, I was gunna post the lyrics, but I didnt think anyone but Geoff would know them!
I remember singing it as a youngster - lots and lots of verses, but I only remember 3 or 4 of them. We also did "Tie me kangaroo down", but I don't remember much of that, just the tune and a few words. Of course we also did "Frere Jacques" and "Alouette", so I guess that was "multi-cultural education" in the early 60's.

Strike me lucky, how old are we that we used to sing gay songs, or songs with gay in it. try that with a bunch of kids nowdays and see how far you get.
Just a bunch of snickers and giggles.
johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2009, 10:40:35 PM »

2nd grade....
 Ol' tantee Koba she is so old,
She stirs her coffee with her own big toe!
 Back in those days I was terrified by the potatoes in the closet what had horns!!!..I knew one day that they would pull me under the bed and eat me!
your friend,
john

annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:52 PM »

I couldn't sleep if the closet door was open even a tiny bit. I was sure frankenstein was in there.
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »

I couldn't put my foot down next to the bed, the monster was under there ready to grab my ankle.  I always jumped on and off!  Smiley

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next