Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 04:23:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fat people, $^*????? Dont read if you are easily offended. That means you PORKY!  (Read 8513 times)
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2009, 11:37:30 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090917/ts_nm/us_obesity_soda_california

Made me think of this thread.

Kids slurping down soft drinks, gobbling up garbage, now obese and we have a problem and it obviously the foods fault.  So lawmakers are running around discussing what kind of bandaids to slap on the problem (and raise tax revenues  angry ).

So we're talking about sticking bandaids on all these problems.  These are people's CHILDREN who are making nutritional decisions BY THEMSELVES.  And we all know that kids don't make very good choices, ESPECIALLY when they have had NOBODY TO TEACH them.

The whole obesity epidemic is occurring exactly because there is a vacuum of parenting!  Schools, daycares are taking over raising the children, the parents come home exhausted every day from work(so that they can afford the big house and nice car), throw the kids some premade food, and then the next morning give them $5 for lunch the next day, leaving those choices to the kids.

WELL DUH!!!

McDonald's, Coke, Pepsi, ConAgra...they're all businesses looking for money, and they make stuff that tastes really good, and they'll take the money from anybody willing to pony up.   If the parents had any spine or clue, they'd actually be there with their kids, TELLING the children what to do (buy or not to buy) instead of asking what makes them feel good.  Making them a nutritious meal.  Packing a nutritious sack lunch even when all the other kids are slurping sodas.

It is hard and takes backbone.  The kids whine and cajole that everybody else gets sodas and twinkies and homemade cookies are aweful and  "I hate ham sandwiches" and they dump their apples in the trash when nobody is looking.

Not too long ago a lawsuit was thrown out but it was against McD's because some girl ate breakfast there everyday and was fat.  It was the restaurant's fault.  Where'd she get the money for that??? Where was her mother telling her that food was bad for her?

Blame it on the food industry?  Nuh uh...you can blame it on the people who do exactly what the industry wants them to - give the control of the next generation over to hollywood, to the advertising, to the stars, to the tv, and to the government.

But there again we have another thread....

My kids only rarely get sugar pop.  It isn't good for them, and it is more expensive than tap water.  They only occasionally get MickyD's (see reasons above).

Rick
Mairzy_doats
House Bee

« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2009, 12:00:25 PM »

Well said, Rick. When I was a kid, I packed my own lunch but my mom told me what was to go in it. PB&J, an apple, thermos of milk or water. Sometimes, she's sneak a treat in there. If bologna was on sale, we'd get that for sandwiches. We were never allowed soft drinks except on sunday. No salty snacks, they were too expensive. We popped popcorn. None of my siblings ever had a weight problem.
My kids have it the same way. THey whine and complain of course when all of their friends get junk constantly, but I don't care. As I always tell them, its harder to do what is right. Good food makes you feel good. When we planted our garden this year, the kids helped and as a result were much more interested in eating the produce. If they want a snack during the day they are welcome to raid the garden.
Giving kids the power to make choices that they can't predict the consequences of is asking for trouble. Heck, as an adult I  know better but still make poor choices. But I'm not overweight, I'm just under-tall.  grin
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2009, 03:04:38 PM »

Oh, JP, you mean the only way we can possibly feed the world?  rolleyes  Yea, start another thread, because our food supply is a topic near and dear to my heart 

Ann, where is the happy medium? Why don't we put our money literally where our mouths are? In this day and age Factory Farming is apparently still a booming business. Animals crammed in close quarters, beaks cut, necks chained, hormones pumped, antibiotics given to keep the ones that can make it live until the dinner plate.

I'm no tree hugger but the practice disgusts me. I buy what I can afford to and pass up what I can't. Free range as we know, is the best way to go. I like my animals happy and healthy before I eat them! grin

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
Mason
House Bee

« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »

I think it is more a lazy factor than a diet or taste factor.  Really,  would a Big Mack even rank in the top 100 best burgers you have ever ate?  Not me.

Most of the time when I eat crap it is because of convenience not taste or cost.  It's just me being lazy and not firing up the grill or going to the store and buying real food.  The same holds true for not exercising.  It's just me being lazy.

I contend that most fat people are often first and foremost lazy people with fat being a symptom.   

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
tshnc01
House Bee

« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2009, 05:53:11 PM »

As I have read through this thread I have agreed with almost all of it; however a number of comments have been made about fats being unhealthly....If we are talking about fats "invented" in the last 100 years then I agree 100%, but we need lots of high quality fats to help us metabolize all of the fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K).  Why is it that our ancestors ate lots of lard, butter, and tallow but didn't get heart disease?  Remember when we were told that margarine is better for you than butter?  How about eggs being bad for you?  I think we have been sold a bill of goods.

...Tim

johnnybigfish
Super Bee

« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2009, 08:04:11 PM »

I learned about "Brown fat" yesterday on "The Doctors"..Its good fat!
By the way...I got my 30 lbs of brown bottom candy corn today!! grin
your friend,
john

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2009, 08:26:04 PM »

There's a very interesting book, Nourishing Traditions:  The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats, that covers the 'old' way of eating.  I think it's dead on.  This is a nutrition book, but it's also a cookbook, I highly recommend it.   The authors talk about the Weston A. Price Foundation, an organization I found when I was exploring the issues surrounding raw milk (I highly recommend it, read the book mentioned above for info as to why).  There's a reason so many are obese, it's because the food industry has gone so industrial over the last 45 years.

JP, you are so right about well-raised food animals.  Think about it.  a poor beef steer in today's CAFO is raised on grains (not finished on them), pumped full of antibiotics to keep them alive long enough to get to market weight (the antibiotics are necessary because cattle ruminate, grain sits in their crop and rots, so that infection has to be kept at bay).  The infection still courses through their veins, the fat that forms in them is wrong for both them and us - they live in very stressful conditions, that stress also causes inflammation - and then we kill them and eat them, antibiotics, infection and inflammation all included.....no wonder we're fat and sick.

Remember what a steak tasted like back in the early 60's?  I do, I loved steak.  I don't much care for it anymore, it doesn't taste right.  Pork, too, they've been bred to be too lean (although they can eat grains with no problems).  The changes are all to facilitate bringing food to market fast and cheaply, no care or thought is given to quality.  Supposedly this is necessary to 'feed the world'.  That's bullfeathers.  It's all about the money.  Feeding the world with cheap, inferior food isn't doing anyone any good - except the brokers.

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
tlozo
New Bee

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2009, 08:44:32 PM »

Our ancestors 100 years ago had an average life expectancy in the United States of forty-seven.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2009, 09:18:29 PM »

Our ancestors 100 years ago had an average life expectancy in the United States of forty-seven

true, but eating fat didn't have much to do with it, nor did eating processed foods.  children had no vaccinations.  adults died from infections and cancer that are easily treated today.  the ability to preserve nutritional food was limited, so poor diet contributed to earlier deaths.  farming accidents, etc. were common, and even if you didn't die in a farming accident, that little cut could kill you in short order.  malaria, cholera, and smallpox, to name a few, ran rampant in parts of the country...as did VD. 

progress is not all bad  Wink

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2009, 09:28:40 PM »

Our ancestors 100 years ago had an average life expectancy in the United States of forty-seven.
So now we live longer and are less healthy because of the garbage the American public eats.  Howsabout we all learn how to eat better and live better, longer?  Sounds like a plan to me.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2009, 09:32:43 PM »

i would argue that we are not less healthy in general.....however, we have a larger number of people who are less healthy.  eating better and making better choices would certainly help a lot.  you can't fix stupid but you can stop funding it.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
hardwood
Galactic Bee

Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude

« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:51 PM »

Kathy,
Does that mean we can stop funding congress?
Scott

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2009, 12:08:50 AM »

Weston a. Price Foundation, very interesting site Ann! I actually own a book called Eat Like A Caveman. Gonna pick it back up again and take a read. Like someone mentioned, laziness and conveniance can do us in if we don't make the right choices.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
bee-nuts
Queen Bee

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 03:28:52 AM »

I know this is a touchy subject but I think insurance company should have the option to charge obese people a premium just like smokers on there insurance premiums.  The more obese you are the more you pay.  Now there is a real intensive to lose weight.  You know that 400 pounder at work is a high health care risk and will drive up your insurance rates because he/she porks out all day and night.  It would not cause employer bias if the premium increase was passed on to the employee and not the employer.  Maybe I'm just evil.

On cigarettes they keep raising the taxes because they are unhealthy.  I do not agree with this but if they can do that then they can tax high fat foods, high this and high that foods if they wish and can pass the bill.  They could tax candy too.  I heard of a city in California baning any more fast food restaurants because of growing obesity in there city.

beat a dead horse

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 08:23:56 AM »

I don't think they should tax the food, but I definitely have no problem with obese people paying more for insurance.  It's their responsibility, not mine, what they put into their mouths. 

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2009, 08:33:22 AM »

I know this is a touchy subject but I think insurance company should have the option to charge obese people a premium just like smokers on there insurance premiums.  The more obese you are the more you pay. 

Mine actually does have three levels based on blood pressure, smoking, and bmi.  So I pay a little more because I have a higher bmi.

Which is silly because while it is fair that I pay more premiums for my family because of some health problems my wife has plus for the 5 kids, the least is payed out for me.  One broken arm because one of the kids did something stupid eats all that extra money up plus a bunch.

Rick

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2009, 12:38:48 PM »

BMI is a bad way to judge obesity.  navy did BMI for years and i always failed because i was weight lifting.  had to make them measure me to prove i was in standards.

i would also support an approved shopping list for food stamps.  if you can afford to buy your own food and insurance, be as fat as you want to be.  if you are spending my money, you should eat what is on the list.

i wonder about the insurance thing.  how long before they start charging more because you engage in risky hobbies?  equestrian sports are risky.  skydiving is risky.  maybe keeping bees is too?

Alexis de Tocqueville
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2009, 04:23:45 PM »

In the end they will figure out it is due to transfats, aparatame, and low fat diets.  You don't fatten a pig on fat.  You fatten them on grain.  If any scientist really wants to understand what makes a mammal get fat, they should talk to the farmers who have figured out how to do it centuries ago...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2009, 05:03:58 AM »

There should be compulsory standardised annual measurement tests for all people in my country. The Government can do it like they used to do with TB and Chest Xrays, set up caravans like they did until the late 60s here from memory. No names, no pack drill, jest measurements and a card that says how long you are expected to live at current age and weight. Leave it up to the user to decide on their fate.

The US Insurance business worked out how to use Actuary Tables before the Ink on the treaty was dry, so its nothing new. But saying that porky the pig should pay more for certain things like health insurance is just music to the ears of these companies. They already charge more and factor in causes of risk, so they wlil end up at least, double dipping more than they do now. Then someone has a table showing that compared to bargearse, slim is paying too little, up she goes and the cycle is born.

Best to just let em loose on the deep fried mars bars I reckon. To each his own, just get in the slow lane, and dont eat in public. Just give it a rest for 10 minutes.

Please tell me that your fashion has changed and no female, unless they are model material, goes out in public wearing skin tight lycra whatever ya call em that makes you think your arse is not huge, and for gods sake, please dont wash these things in the machine for 12 months and still wear em.

I see some terrible things at the supermarket. I think it is time to ring back the Caftan.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2009, 11:32:11 AM »

mick, i have seen some plumbers cracks, beer bellies, and man boobs, that give spandex on a fat woman a run for it's money!!  put on a belt!!!!!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next