Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 22, 2014, 07:24:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fall feeding  (Read 2914 times)
njtoo
New Bee

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 09:22:12 AM »

I'm located in South Jersey only about 15 minutes from Philly. I have 15 hives that are several years old and in good shape. However, virtually no honey stores as of yesterday. So It seems we are all in the same boat in the SE PA area. I started feeding last month and had to take the feed off as I was getting VERY HIGH numbers of SHB.
Sparky
Field Bee

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

Hello frOsty. I have used this same feeder and have never had bees get into it. Like buzzbee said, make sure your cover fits tight on the box that is on the feeder. One question though. How did you get 2.5 gal. of feed in a plastic hive top feeder that holds 1.25 gallons of feed ?
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2009, 07:43:58 PM »

DavidLaFerney;
I place a piece of cardboard over each hole then fill with wood mulch, {all of which absorb moisture} if necessary can brush chips aside and remove cardboard to feed.

Sparky;
That closable entrance is Under The Board, it is left open at all times except when feeding !

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
fr0sty
New Bee

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »

Hello frOsty. I have used this same feeder and have never had bees get into it. Like buzzbee said, make sure your cover fits tight on the box that is on the feeder. One question though. How did you get 2.5 gal. of feed in a plastic hive top feeder that holds 1.25 gallons of feed ?

I'm almost 100% sure bees aren't getting in from the top, it's completely sealed.

Also, I refilled 3 times, not all at once.
ArmucheeBee
Field Bee

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2009, 09:58:47 PM »

I feed internally using chick feeders.  To make sure I do not have robbing of my nucs, I only put the feeder in at night.  By morning the nuc bees have drained the feeder and so the "smell" of syrup has hopefully deminished.  I have not had a robbing problem since starting night feeding.  I can leave the empty feeder in during the day while at work.  I usually fill it around 7pm.  Any comments or anyone see any problems with night feeding?  Chick feeders hold around 2.5 cups.

Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next