Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 20, 2014, 06:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Queenless and not sure what to do.  (Read 1020 times)
VTnewbee
New Bee

« on: August 28, 2009, 05:45:12 PM »

I asked this question in the General Beekeeping section and then realized there was a "Requeening" section.  Sorry, you're not suffering from deja vu!

My bees swarmed approximately 2 weeks ago and I was hoping the remaining colony would make a new queen.  My husband and I did an inspection on Monday and again this afternoon, hoping to find a queen or eggs and we still haven't seen any.  The one hopeful thing is that we did find maybe 10 or so open queen cells and maybe a couple unopened ones, but that was it.  There's still a nice population of bees there and tons of honey and pollen and some capped brood, but no sign of a laying queen at the moment.  What do you suggest I do?  Continue being patient in hopes that some of those open queen cells produced a soon to be viable queen, or order a queen right away?  Is it too late to requeen in Vermont?  The one place I planned on getting a queen from if I ever needed to requeen is out for the year, so if I do need to order one, I'd love to hear any suggestions on where to get one.  Thanks everyone!
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 06:00:10 PM »

Give them another week... Going from a virgin queen to a mated and fully laying queen sometimes takes several weeks. She may be in there, it's too early to tell... and when she does start laying her pattern may be a little weird at first (she has to get the hang of it).

Have a backup plan (i.e. call around for availability of mated queens) just in case.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
VTnewbee
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »

Thank you Cheryl!  By back-up plan, I assume you mean ordering a queen?  I'm not sure I have any other option considering the fact that I only have one hive.  I know people with multiple hives sometimes combine two but I don't have that option unfortunately!  But hopefully they'll succeed in raising a new queen.  Fingers are crossed!
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:10:53 PM »

By backup plan, I mean checking around for availability and maybe placing a "hold" on one, that you can cancel later if you find your queen.

My guess is she's in there and you'll know soon enough. Cheesy

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 06:14:21 PM »

Anytime there is a question, I give them a frame of eggs and open brood and I've covered both the question and the answer.

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next