Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
November 29, 2014, 02:58:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edward Kennedy R.I.P.  (Read 3961 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: August 26, 2009, 06:04:26 AM »

A strange bloke, not much of a driver.

He was like salt and pepper that bloke, was in everything. I dont know what he achieved in fact, but his name ensured he would be elected and always in the news.

Be interesting to see his send off.

Sympathy to the family that I am sure are beekeepers.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 09:48:25 AM »

>>>>I don't know what he achieved in fact<<<<

Here is a list of some of his accomplishments. I would think there are more, if they were known.

1. He was caught cheating at Harvard when he attended it. He was expelled twice, once for cheating on a test, and once for paying a classmate to cheat for him.

2. While expelled, Kennedy enlisted in the Army, but mistakenly signed up for four years instead of two. Oops! The man can't count to four! His father, Joseph P. Kennedy, former U.S. Ambassador to England (a step up from bootlegging liquor into the US from Canada during prohibition), pulled the necessary strings to have his enlistment shortened to two years, and to ensure that he served in Europe, not Korea, where a war was raging. 

3. Kennedy was assigned to Paris, never advanced beyond the rank of Private, and returned to Harvard upon being discharged. Imagine a person of his "education" never advancing past the rank of Private!

4. While attending law school at the University of Virginia, he was cited for reckless driving four times, including once when he was clocked driving 90 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood (with his headlights off after dark). Yet his Virginia driver's license was never revoked.  Coincidentally, he passed the bar exam in 1959. Amazing!

5. In 1964, he was seriously injured in a plane crash, and hospitalized for several months. Test results done by the hospital at the time he was admitted had shown he was legally intoxicated. The results of those tests remained a "state secret" until in the 1980's when the report was unsealed.  Didn't hear about that from the "un" biased media, did we?

6. On July 19, 1969, Kennedy attended a party on Chappaquiddick Island in Massachusetts. At about 11:00 PM, he borrowed his chauffeur's keys to his Oldsmobile limousine, and offered to give a ride home to Mary Jo Kopechne, a campaign worker.  Leaving the island via an unlit bridge with no guard rail, Kennedy steered the car off the bridge, flipped, and into Poucha Pond.

7. He swam to shore and walked back to the party, passing several houses and a fire station. Two friends then returned with him to the scene of the accident. According to their later testimony, they told him what he already knew - that he was required by law to immediately report the accident to the authorities. Instead Kennedy made his way to his hotel, called his lawyer, and went to sleep. Kennedy called the police the next morning and by then the wreck had already been discovered. Before dying, Kopechne had scratched at the upholstered floor above her head in the upside-down car. The Kennedy family began "calling in favors", ensuring that any inquiry would be contained. Her corpse was whisked out-of-state to her family, before an autopsy could be conducted.  Further details are uncertain, but after the accident Kennedy says he repeatedly dove under the water trying to rescue Kopechne and he didn't call police because he was in a state of shock. It is widely assumed Kennedy was drunk, and he held off calling police in hopes that his family could fix the problem overnight.  Since the accident, Kennedy's "political enemies" have referred to him as the distinguished Senator from Chappaquiddick. He pled guilty to leaving the scene of an accident, and was given a SUSPENDED SENTENCE OF TWO MONTHS....  Kopechne's family received a small payout from the Kennedy's insurance policy, and never sued.  There was  later an effort to have her body exhumed and autopsied, but her family  successfully fought against this in court, and Kennedy's family paid their attorney's bills... a "token of friendship"?

8. Kennedy has held his Senate seat for more than forty years, but considering his longevity, his accomplishments seem scant. He authored or argued for legislation that ensured a variety of civil rights, increased the minimum wage in 1981, made access to health care easier for the indigent, and funded Meals on Wheels for fixed-income seniors and is widely held as the "standard-bearer for liberalism". In his very first Senate roll, he was the floor manager for the bill that turned U.S. immigration policy upside down and opened the floodgate for immigrants from third world countries.

9. Since that time, he has been the prime instigator and author of every expansion of an increase in immigration, up to and including the latest attempt to grant amnesty to illegal aliens. Not to mention the pious grilling he gave the last two Supreme Court nominees, as if he was the standard bearer for the nation in matters of "what's right". 

10. He is known around Washington as a public drunk, loud, boisterous and very disrespectful to ladies.  JERK is a better description than "great American". 

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 09:52:22 AM »

piano     banana devil

party time!!!!!!!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
1reb
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 11:04:58 AM »

grin
reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 11:17:51 AM »

I live here in Kennedy-land.  They are royalty.  This will dominate the news nationwide for a couple days, and then the funeral, but here, it'll be wall-to-wall Kennedy for a week, I'll bet. 

I've never been able to figure out what he's done for us here in Massachusetts.  Not much, other than lead this bastion of liberalism.  Maybe with him gone the balance can be somewhat restored.  It'll be interesting to see who runs, and who ultimately replaces him.  I think this marginalizes Kerry even more, and that's a good thing!  evil 

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
jimmy
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 11:30:58 AM »

I don't wish anyone dead ,however I am glad he is out of the senate   .R.I.P. ?  Never, he has a murder to answer for.

I have to modify my post. I was trained in a Social Work degree and my religious bringing up to look for the  GOOD in everyone,  as the bad always sticks out like a sore thumb. So God will be his judge !
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 05:19:14 PM by jimmy » Logged
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 11:52:11 AM »

do you think your legislature will give the gov power to appoint?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 11:57:09 AM »

He was married at the time of that accident and that girl was rumored to be pregnant.
There are many who think the accident was not an accident at all, I could believe that just as I have no problem believing he was just so drunk he went off the road as well.
Of course it was all quickly covered up.
I don't understand the mentality of the Kennedy family or the "the first family of Massachusetts" Camelot and all that and how they can do no wrong.
There was also that nephew who stood trial for raping that girl at the family compound in Hyannis and a few more or maybe even alot more escapades and sexcapades in that family.
I feel bad but you get so sick of it all, we will hear about this for the next month, living here in Massachusetts.
My husband called me from the supermarket this morning to ask a question and then he said did you hear Ted Kennedy died? I just said, oh yeah, did you get the grapes? and that was the extent of our discussion on him.
I think the only one in that family that may have had some decency got killed piloting his wife and sister in law over Martha's Vineyard. He died young and seemed like a good guy but who knows, his sister Caroline does not seemed crooked at this point but that is about all I can say for this family.

Mick not sure where you got the idea of them being a beekeeping family, never heard of that and I am pretty sure we would have.

Reinbeau, have you heard what happened with him wanting to be able to appoint his replacement before his death? There was a big article about it one day in the Patriot Ledger but I never found out if it came to fruition.
He wanted Gov.Deval Patrick to have the authority to appoint his replacement with someone he chose and keep the democratic seat from going to a republican if it went to a vote.

Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 11:58:11 AM »

rolleyes IMO YES This is Massachusetts 

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  Smiley

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »

I must have been typing while Kathy asked that question. I read an artilce in our local newspaper that there was controversy over his asking the legislature to give our Governor the authority to let him choose his replacement and I believe the name of the guy he wanted was printed in that article but I can't rememeber for sure.
If I can find it I will post.
Natalie
Queen Bee

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_kennedy_successor

Here is a blurb on the speculation, I love the part about Gov.Deval Patrick stating how he would support the change in legislation allowing him to choose a replacement for Kennedy.
Why wouldn't he?

Here is another
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/27/us/politics/27succeed.html?_r=1

But the effort to find a quick replacement for Mr. Kennedy may prove complicated. In the week before his death, reaction in Boston to his request ranged from muted to hostile. The state’s Democrats found themselves in the awkward position of being asked to reverse their own 2004 initiative calling for special elections in such instances.

Until that year, Massachusetts law had called for the governor to appoint a temporary replacement if a Senate seat became vacant. But when Senator John Kerry, a Democrat, was running for president in 2004, the Democrat-controlled State Legislature wanted to deny the governor at the time — Mitt Romney, a Republican — the power to name a successor if Mr. Kerry won. The resulting law requires a special election within 145 to 160 days after the vacancy occurs.

“The hypocrisy is astounding,” the state House minority leader, Bradley H. Jones Jr., told The Boston Globe on Thursday. “If we had a Republican governor right now, would we be getting the same letter?”

Massachusetts politics, what can you say...
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 12:17:20 PM »

they kind of skipped over that part about how kennedy pushed to have the nomination taken from the gov while a republican was in office, but was recently trying to get it switched back.
it's good to be king  grin

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jim 134
Super Bee

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »

it's good to be king  grin

lau lau lau kathyp You got it.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/
Vibe
House Bee

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 02:35:54 PM »

rolleyes IMO YES This is Massachusetts 

I thought that they had officially changed that to Taxachusetts.  sheeple

The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2009, 02:53:59 PM »

How many are us are old enough to remember this classic Nat'l Lampoon parody ad?
It was right in line with a then-current VW ad campaign that featured the fact that
VW's would float...

http://www.scribd.com/doc/211713/Volkswagen-Bitchslaps-Ted-Kennedy

reinbeau
Super Bee

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2009, 04:39:30 PM »

Absolutely, if they can guarantee a Democrat will take over, they will.  Remember, it was back in 2004, when Mitt-baby was in office, that it looked to some as though Kerry would succeed in his bid for the White House, so they changed the rules so Mitt couldn't appoint a Republican to the Senate to fill Kerry's seat.  Well, now, the world has turned, so in order to keep that seat Democratic, at least until the elections in 2010, they need to fix it again.  The Democratic power in this state is incredible.

So, now, they change the rule back so the governor can appoint anyone - that's right, anyone - to the Senate.  There's all kinds of speculation going on, but the one that caught my ear today is this:  Cadillac Deval turns the reigns over to Murray and appoints himself!  There's no way he's getting another term here, his approval rating is in the tank bigtime....what better way to switch jobs before getting 'fired'?  rolleyes  In this state I absolutely wouldn't be surprised.  rolleyes  rolleyes

- Ann, A Gardening Beek -  ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Click for Hanson, Massachusetts Forecast" border="0" height="150" width="256
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2009, 05:53:43 PM »

Do you think the political landscape may change because of this? He certainly had enough bully power to twist arms.
Whoever replaces him will be a very junior Senator, Democrat or Republican.
wayne
House Bee

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2009, 07:18:21 PM »

Do any Clintons live in Boston?

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »

Yeah, I was ticked off that they interrupted a late night rerun of Scrubs to air that he had died.  HOW DARE THEY!!!! rolleyes

LOL

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2009, 08:42:21 PM »

Do any Clintons live in Boston?

not at the moment, but i bet they'd relocate!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next