Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
December 27, 2014, 04:29:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Getting Bees for sting therapy in winter  (Read 791 times)
Rick
New Bee

« on: August 23, 2009, 10:32:37 AM »

need about 5 bees per week. thinking of puuting some type of small hive in garage with outlet. any ideas
thanks
rick
asprince
Super Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »

It depends on if you are in Finland or Florida. Please update your profile location.

Welcome,

Steve

Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan
Rick
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 10:47:31 PM »

Sorry, upstate NY. long cold winters
wanted to try to get bees without disturbing main hives. I keep my garage around 45 deg.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 11:42:02 PM »

get an observation hive that has openings for reaching bees.  mine is designed just for taking bees out for apitherapy.  you might not be able to populate it this year, but see about getting one for next year.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
DaveKow
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

get an observation hive that has openings for reaching bees.  mine is designed just for taking bees out for apitherapy. 

Do you have any pics of this setup?

Thanks.
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:29:51 AM »

I like Kathy's suggesting of a observation hive.  But if that is not practical for you, you can keep nucs in the basement.  Although not ideal for the nuc,  it would work for your needs.

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,10748.msg70719.html#msg70719

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 09:30:20 AM »

it's just a regular observation hive with small ports that can be opened to grab a few bees.  i'll look for pics, but the glare makes it hard to get good ones.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
bassman1977
"King Bee"
Super Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

My uncle and I were talking about sting therapy last night and while we are on the subject, kinda, he said that he heard somewhere that bees who forage buckwheat regularly have more potent venom than bees that do not forage buckwheat.  Any truth to this?  I've never heard of this before but I don't really know much about the sting therapy.

Thanks.

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next