Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 24, 2014, 10:06:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Did We Survive?  (Read 1201 times)
Jay
House Bee

« on: April 07, 2005, 12:31:07 AM »

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE

1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested for
diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored,
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink bottle with four friends and
NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!  

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound,
no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet  chatrooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth, and there were no
lawsuits resulting from these accidents.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate worms, and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes, nor did the worms live in us forever.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of; they actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors,
doesn't it?! Cheesy

By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson
Beth Kirkley
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005, 08:06:21 AM »

I think I'll play it just a BIT safe and pass on the scissor idea. LOL Smiley Silly!

I actually did know a kid who was walking around the house while brushing his teeth. Just walking! He was only 5, and he tripped over his own feet. The toothbrush went into his throat, tore a whole in his wind pipe or something, and he had to be rushed to the emergency room for removal and repair. True story. Smiley

I also knew a grown man who had never been allowed by his mother to do anything dangerous. That was sad. He'd never been on a swing or slide, or done a cannon ball in a pool. I'm not even sure his mom let him in a pool as a kid. He turned out basiclly ok, but I'm sure that careful way stuck with him.

I do opt for taking on life with full gusto! Work hard, play rough, take chances, and give it all you've got!

Beth

leominsterbeeman
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 11:28:52 AM »

I have a friend that has never had a pet.  when he was growing p there was noting iini his house except people.

Not a dog, cat, bird, fish, hamster, anything.  

Even now, he has 3 kids of his own and doesn't have any pets.

Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »

That is sad, I dont know what I would do without my animals, you will have friends that come and go but you will always have a friend in a pet you care for, bye Cheesy

Ryan Horn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next