Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 10:16:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 13 pilgrams killed in plane crash.  (Read 1071 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:20 AM »

11 passengers and two crew erre killed when a twin engined light a/c crashed in PNG the other day. They were on their way to treck part of the Kokoda Trail, a WW2 route across the owen stanleys in PNG that saw many aussies and yanks killed and wounded in the war in the pacific, soon to be on your screens.

Over the last 60 years, visitors to the Kokoda region have gone from zero to many thousands, mainly aussies and americans paying homage to their grandfathers by walking a section of the track in a week or ten days. It kills a few people every year through illness, disease and heart attack, but none by a/c crash until now.

It seems it was going around after an aborted landing and smashed into a cliff. Not surprising given the terrain and the weather and the load on board. Just such a sad way to go, its really dreadful.

I have read many biographies on MacArthur. I conclude his hands were tied for much of the time he was in Australia. He desperately wanted to send troops and a/c to Papua New Guinea and the Islands but he did not have them and Washington did not want to send them. He was really on the back boil for a long time after he left the Phillipines. At the time, Australia looked toward the US for help, but it was a long time coming. The people did not know the reasons at the time. We could not understand how we could have the worlds greatest general on our soil and not have any troops to give us. That created a fair bit of hostility in certain quarters. Climaxing in the Battles of Melbourne and Brisbane, where troops from each side had brawls between hundreds of soldiers, climaxing in a full on shoot out with deaths in Brisbane.

I am hoping that some detail of the relationship between Aussie and the US will be shown in the latest Hanks Speilberg series. If anyone can pull this off with some truth, they can.

When you see this series, you will perhaps understand why people decide to go to the third world to retrace the steps of the Diggers of WW2.

PNG is a beautiful place, but it is also a mosquito, fly, leech, midge infested disease ridden hell of a  place that is a 6 hour plane ride to help if you live long enough to travel the 4 days to get help in the first place. Back in the 40s, you were infected and infested by all of the above and lice. Tinea, trench foot, scabs, sores, dysentry, berri berri, scabies, typhus, malaria, and many more, all at once. It was harder to go back to help than it was to crawl forward and die beside the track. Perhaps you shot yourself, perhaps you really did take a few of the japs out with a grenade then hug one yourself. Maybe you were snuck upon and bayoneted to death by the japs? or did you just collapse and die, never to be found like hundreds of your mates. The weather is predictable, it rains at 4pm until dawn, then it gets hotter and steamier throughout the day until it rains again at 4pm.

Heres to those who served or died in the Pacific and those poor basterds who went to see them.

Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 07:02:14 PM »

Have known Max Cranwell for 50 or so years Mick. Probably pass their property every time we go to Traralgon.
        Never had any desire to go to Kokoda or Cape York. Got too much vision in the war years of what the troops were going through to even consider that kind of experience when we have Wilsons Promontory, Kings Canyon, and the Flinders Ranges. All places I can go back to any day and enjoy.
        It has always been hazardous flying in PNG as the records show. I might be a bit of a woos but other people can take on these challenges. Even like trying to spell WOOS. Never done that before.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 08:53:19 PM »

MacArthur and Patton were a thorn in the side of their presidents  smiley.  no one these days could get away with some of the things they did.  right or wrong on the decisions they made, they did things because they believed them to be the right thing at the time.  they did a lot of stuff in spite of the orders they were given.  we still spit out the occasional good general, but they end up retiring.  they are replaced with people like Powell and Clark.  it is a sad thing.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 04:24:36 AM »

Geoff, youre such a SNAG, now using the word woos. Have you an eyebrow piercing in mind?
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 08:01:51 AM »

Must have been a slip of the finger on the keyboard Mick. I dont know that I've ever spoken the word ( is it in any dictionary?), let alone typed it.

Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 08:50:10 AM »

It has always been hazardous flying in PNG as the records show. I might be a bit of a woos but other people can take on these challenges. Even like trying to spell WOOS. Never done that before.

Well, ya done it twice...first time could be an accident, but not the second...

what's a woos?  perhaps thats the same as a WUSS?

Rick
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »

A woo is a Who that got it's Christmas stolen.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2009, 05:57:04 PM »

Thanks scadsobees.  We can learn more than just the lives and habits of bees on the forum.

One definition of wuss :-       crybaby, wimp, chicken - a person who lacks confidence, is irresolute and wishy-washy. All in the confusion of English like wood and would. If I make the right decision I will make a right turn at the next corner. Enough to make me cuss like a wuss.

So if I ever need to use it again Mick I'll get it right but there will be no body piercing, tatts, or colored hair in the near future.

The only time I went overboard was a full head and eyebrow shave for a Pallative Care fundraiser at the club.The night raised over $1200 so I can go that way anytime.

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 04:59:08 AM »

I will kick in 200 next time if you do a bit of manscaping and get a brazillian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next