Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 06:20:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: finally got into the hive, and out  (Read 1239 times)
bill
House Bee

« on: April 04, 2005, 05:50:31 PM »

well I guess you guys would have had a laugh just now I finally got my new smoker going with paper mache eggcartons and opened the hive I got last winter I knew it had not been opened in a long time . it was a real mess but i was getting on all right except I lost my gloves  I thought well noone else ever wears them on the video so I don't need them. anyway I smoked them and got it opened up I got the first couple of frames out with a little difficulty but about the fourth frame the nails started coming out, and the smoker went out i guess I was so busy I forgot to pump it enough I put the broken frames in a body I was going to use for nucs so maybe I can fix them i think there was just stores and honey. anyway with the smoker out I just kept going cause I was fascinated there were a few queen cells and quite a few drone cells I think the queen cells were old. any way I know I have a queen that  was bortn in the hive as apposed to a bought one heck she is probably about the third one. there was a huge number of bees and they got kinda mad and i started to get hit on the hand and I got real tired  I am going to rest a while and go back   I just put the lid on it and left.

billiet
bill
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 06:53:55 PM »

well I got back out there and finished the upper bodyput in about six foundation frames. the beejacket worked  but I dont think the smoker helped much I need to get some burlap or something that puts out more smoke . I didnt see the queen but the drones were easy to recognize I will do the bottom half tomorrow maybe, what a rush.   lol

billiet
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 07:41:10 PM »

I used to have a smoker like that.  Then I made this and put in it.  Now it doesn't go out anymore.  Smiley

http://incolor.inetnebr.com/bush/images/SmokerInsert3.jpg

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 07:58:37 PM »

Sounds like a fun time Bill - I know I have went into the hive with good intentions and before you know it, I do something stupid and agrivate them big time. I find it best to retreat and rethink a better plan.

The worse incident in resent years was forcing a frame back in the hive AFTER it had been out about a week - I just plain forgot I had removed it. When I went to PUSH it back in place, it wouldn't fit (dummy here) starts tapping the frame down with the handle end of a hammer THINKING it might not distrub them as much - I was a sorry looking thing by time THAT frame was back in the hive.

Sounds like everything will be fine though - keep us posted on finding the queen but look for young larva and eggs too - finding the queen isn't always necessary, but always sweet to find!!!

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next