Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 22, 2014, 09:11:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(2)  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the archery thing  (Read 7946 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2009, 10:12:22 AM »

i don't even know how you can compete in the wind!  a steady wind might be manageable, but gusts suck. 

45# is just right i think.  i have had some fun with it, but time has gotten away from me.  we also have had some wind issues.  i need to set up in a better place, but at this time of the year, no place is wind free.  it's going to be one of those years......

as for the building muscle, the draw does not seem to be a problem.  i do some weight lifting, but for toning, not bulk  grin  that, riding, and farm work, seem to have given me enough strength for this hobby.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Cindi
Galactic Bee

« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2009, 10:38:44 AM »

i do some weight lifting, but for toning, not bulk  grin  that, riding, and farm work, seem to have given me enough strength for this hobby.

Farm girls are tough gals.  Picture the amount of lifting stuff you do, the amount that you use your arms for those things, yep, you should have enough strength from your work as a farm girl throughout your life for that hobby, me too, think I could outwrestle any man in an arm wrestle, providing his arms were the same length as mine, smiling, and a leg wrestle, they wouldn't have a chance!!!  shocked Smiley Smiley  I have extremely strong legs from years of digging shovels in the dirt.  Have that great, most awesome day, health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »

Still, as mentioned, the muscles you use for a bow seem to be muscles you don't use for much of anything else...

The old long bows in England used to be 150 to 200 pounds.  It's amazing what a human can do with practice...

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2009, 11:11:20 PM »

Still, as mentioned, the muscles you use for a bow seem to be muscles you don't use for much of anything else...

The old long bows in England used to be 150 to 200 pounds.  It's amazing what a human can do with practice...

I concur. A very good friend of mine used to own an archery shop. Some of the biggest, baddest musclemen that entered the shop were demoralized when they couldn't draw what the experienced shooters were pulling. There are definitely muscles not ordinarily used when drawing a bow. Particularly, a traditional bow.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
SlickMick
Field Bee

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2009, 06:44:59 AM »

Those big hunks seem to think that it is the arms that do the work but it isn't. If they used the correct muscles (the back muscles) and rolled their arms they would find it very different.

My shoulders are shot and I used 60lb as the FITA competition limit but now shoot 52 lb.

You are correct about the old bowmen of Merry England all those years ago

I was in the UK a few years ago and saw the long bows that came off the Mary Rose... traditional longbows about 2" diameter in the middle.. big bows in anybodies language

Mick

PS Finished 5th in the field today Smiley. Lay day tomorrow and clout (shooting at a target at 200 yards) on Friday. Should be
fun

Mick

On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few,
   And men of religion are scanty,
On a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
   One Michael Magee had a shanty.

Now this Mike was the dad of a ten-year-old lad,
   Plump, healthy, and stoutly conditioned;
He was strong as the best, but poor Mike had no rest
   For the youngster had never been christened,
A BUSH CHRISTENING - A.B. "Banjo" Paterson http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/christen.html
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next