Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 15, 2014, 05:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Look ma... No hands! The following written using speech to text software.  (Read 1102 times)
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« on: August 02, 2009, 01:34:55 AM »

Hello everyone:

This is my first example and test trial of speech to text software.  I am not typing anything, I am strictly talking into the microphone and so far in the I have corrected 55 words in the software, Which it said incorrectly so that when I say them they will come out as they should.  But I will not be correcting any words in this post.

Hopefully as I do this, the more I feel secure in my ability to speak good English, the better that I will be able to write with few mistakes!  The interesting thing about this software, is that it allows me to just talk not have to pay attention to my typing although, I do find myself watching the screen in amazement at how well this software actually does work.

It may take days to teach this software all the words so that my ambiguous, a word I couldn't spell without  a spell check, Central New Jersey accent is recognized properly, so that there will be no need to correct any spelling mistakes.  Honestly, it seems very strange to see words appear on the screen as quickly as I say them, I think I forgot to mention that I am using Microsoft's speech to text software packaged with the versions of windows.

As of now, this message has taken me approximately 3 minutes to have typed for me and to proofread.  I am curious, does anyone else use this program?

Maybe it's just me, but I am now using text to speech software to read posts in the beekeeping forum and also longer emails.  Now, I'm using speech to text software two write posts in the beekeeping forum.  So I guess you would say I don't have to use my hands were my eyes.

So, not one time have I touched the keyboard, all I did was talking to a microphone, and constructed itself before my very eyes, I think that it's pretty cool technology!  Again, is anyone else using this for similar programs like this?  Let me know, thanks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 01:45:54 AM by beemaster » Logged

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 01:51:25 AM »

I'll just added this one thing, it's nearly 2:00 AM and I've been playing with this now for almost 7 hours.  But in that time I believe I've actually gotten a majority of common words that the software doesn't detect correctly fixed increasing my accuracy well above 90%, not bad for day one.

One last added thought, in this post here I am not even looking at the screen.  If there are any spelling errors, then I guess we'll both find out later.  But all in all, I could really get used to this program-I may even start that novelette which is been on my mind for quite a long time now, I'm just too lazy to type it.  

I want to try and series of numbers to see how well it detects those: it is now 1:53 AM August 1 2009.  Mind you, it is your job to have the punctuation which I did leave out on the time and date, but decide that I have fairly good faith in the software-hopefully it will not let me down.  Talk soon...

Follow us on TWITTER

charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:11:57 AM »

I'm impressed. 

Charla Hinkle
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:42:19 AM »

Looks good!

I can type quickly, but theres the correction for typos and Caps, also to de australianise, change s`s to z`s, do I sound too much like a school teacher or will the joke fall flat? rewrite a couple of sentences, put in a few words I missed as my mind was working faster than I type, leave the pc and lose a great train of thought. Lose a post because I timed out or lost the page.

500 words should take ten minutes on a good day (very rare), might take half an hour on a bad day. I bet your machine would do it all in less than 10 muinutes on a bad day and less than 10 on a good day.

Ive heard this speech to text has improved remarkably, Moores law, by 2010, no one will be typing if they dont want to.

Next step is a screen that reads your eyenuts. If you look at a tab that says "open" it it opens etc.

How lazy is that, imagine if those minds worked on a fully automated bee hive or better still, a home brewery.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:32:57 AM »

I completely understand what you're saying.  This not having to use my hands, is a great way to multitask, because even as brain dead as I am, I still think that I did watch TV and talk at the same time.

I am using the audio to text program right now as I watch big brother 11 through realplayer.  I finally broke down after watching Showtime's 3 hour show last night after dark, I miss the fights that you don't get to see unless you have live feed.

So far, all I have had to do is change one word, which most likely I said improper anyway.  I think this thing I like most about this program, is that it does allow me to speak as quickly as I'd tend to speak, and no sooner telephony saying the things I say it appears on the screen as one big paragraph.

I tend to agree to where technology is going.  If I had the option of a little eyeball camera which would read my retinas, and if I had to do was blank in order to click a link, then most likely all I would do is there to screen all day like a zombie.

The only thing I haven't done so far, is to relentlessly right incredibly long sentences, exacerbate all my ability to communicate in the way I normally do-which is too deeply breathe as much as I can it continue one like the whippoorwill for 5 hours.  But who's to say that this isn't the first conversation all have in such a manner?

Honestly, I'm not even checking for spelling errors.  Where should I say grammatical errors.  Or better yet should I say for improper word usage!

Everything I have said here is that my normal 600,000 words per minute, and to be honest I am actually speaking faster than I normally do.

So I wonder if the evolution of man himself will change, I wonder if we will evolve into new creatures with different heads that serve different purposes?  As I sit here I read with my years, I typed with my mouth, very likely in 10 years no longer use my butt as a place to keep my head or my mouth as a place to keep my foot...

Finally, I finished with this post.  I have been watching the clock is been roughly 6 minutes, I did correct one word, I will be honest about that, but that is the good thing about this program, it just allows you to make simple corrections as quickly as you speak sentences.

And finally I figure in roughly 10,000 years my arms should fall off completely.  That of course is if I am and not me, I think my arms will probably fall off the bone in about 20 years or so.

So this has been a study of voice recognition.  With few flaws and all your learning curve of terminology to help the software know what you wanted to do, it really has come a long way from programs I remember using just a few years ago.  Even when I speak as fast as I can the accuracy is incredible.  Surely this will save me a lot of time in writing extremely long posts, and even a fight on troubleshooting for words that are being correctly placed in the sentences, I'm sure that most people would wonder why it says mouths instead of mouse.  Given my own history of such things, it's very likely I would've made the same mistake myself smiley talks soon my friend.

See you in chat!

After rereading this - I type

Mick: I just actually read this post, and all in all I am pleased that the wording and phrasing was fairly good. I got "right" instead of "write" I think I need to pronounce my "WH" sound a tad better to let it know the difference as I continue to teach it to type for me. I don't mind errors at all, it is likely to make less spelling errors than I ever would and as this technology improves with features, right now it opens and closes, maximizes and minimizes, opens any link on any web page by reading the link title. It plays Youtube videos (although it cannot full-screen or pause or stop videos - at least I can't get it to yet. Even as I type this, I had to make 5 spelling corrections - lol.

I may not post perfectly spoken sentences, so the MICROSOFT'S SPEECH RECOGNITION SOFTWARE may never see 100%, but then again - I doubt I hit 90% myself much of the time.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:45:03 AM by beemaster » Logged

Follow us on TWITTER

Geoff
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 05:41:57 AM »

Put it to the real test John and see how it handles a conversation between Dallas and Brendan.  LOL.

Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »

Geoff:

I must say that this is an interesting concept.  Tried quite successfully to do about 300 words per minute, could easily handle Dallas, but Brendhan May break my laptop.  This before, I am using the voice recognition software, to type this and it is successfully done names and watched this part concerning numbers:

4,864,327 times 46,325,875,043 equals…  I haven't figured out the calculator part yet, but I did read this as four million, 864,000 thousand, etc.  I can however bring up the calculator using voice enter the numbers that the answer to this simple equation. 225,344,204,770,291,061 is the answer I get when I copy and paste it from the calculator using voice after doing the problem in the calculator also using voice-pretty cool stuff.

You see a new computers of the market with 24 GB of ram, I think geoff that maybe four GHz processor running with 24 GB of ram indeed keep up with Brendhan.  Have to wait until I get a new supercomputer to find out.  Talk later Geoff.

I just realized, that this isn't a processor problem, it is a hard drive problem!  All I have available is a terabyte drive, and I don't believe that 1000 MB would suffice smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

chiggerbait
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »

Good thing you are a man of few words!

grin
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »

Chiggerbait:

I have to admit that the Speech Recognition Program has over me... It does a great job of spelling (I'm at work now, so this is typed - ugh) and strangely, I tend not to thread topics within my posts as much when using the SR software.

If you search back over the last five plus years of the forum, you will see some whoppers typed by me (something I take pride in, and believe is a God given talent is my ability to write) but sadly writing and spelling are indeed two different things, and I often get lazy about correcting some things.

But with browsers like Firefox which highlights errors as you type, it is pretty much "in you face" spell checking. Plus, we have the built-in spell checker here too which I wish had an ADD WORD feature, I commonly find words that I use that the spellchecker does not have and it tries to correct them.

I use to blame such common mind wanderings on working shift-work, but now I'm blaming it on getting older - any excuse in a storm I say! Shift work has its good and bad points, like tonight for example, I am going to photograph and DV-tape macro images of hummingbirds here. We have two feeders and about 20 very hungry hummingbirds to photograph. I'll upload some photos tomorrow.

The only thing tonight is that it is my birthday and I'd much rather go out to dinner with my wife than be here. We are expecting strong storms tonight and that is not good at my power plant facility where massive airport runways of rain filter to my pumping station. I'll be busy if the rains come, so having prime rib at the restaurant where Geoff and we ate when he visited from Australia is not in the plans tonight. That prime rib, which took up an entire platter was more food than Geoff would eat in a given week. Of course that is why I'm 51 and fat and he is older and in twice the shape I had ever been.

Geoff plays lawn balls, a variation I assume to Bocchi and he and his wife both stay extremely active with their club playing practically every day. Someday I hope Geoff posts some pics, it would be interesting to see played. But I digress - lol.

This is "how I roll" long winded, sometimes eclectic thoughts of ramblings and whimsy. But, it was such dedication to writing that helped launch the forum in its early days when members where but a handful. If I couldn't keep a conversation active, membership surely would have died off until enough people joined to sustain activity. Today, I'm confident that our wonderful membership is always there to assist and keep fellow members company whenever an ear is needed.

Take care, welcome to the forum and if you have interest in such things as the topics found in the DARKSIDE of the MOON FORUM, especially my theories on the scientific aspect of Out of Body Experiences - http://www.beemaster.com/site/obe/obe.html which is detailed, but I thing relatively sound after studying the topic.

Oh and by the way.... (always more later)

John

Follow us on TWITTER

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 04:06:54 AM »

Put it to the real test John and see how it handles a conversation between Dallas and Brendan.  LOL.
nah man, I just want Mr. Bud to use it late one friday night!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next