Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 21, 2014, 08:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cut out question  (Read 782 times)
jhs494
House Bee

« on: August 06, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »

We did our first cut-out last night, using a bee-vac following Robo's design. The vacuum worked very well.
The bees seemed small compared to my other two hives.
We were able to get 10 deep frames using the hinged type frames to place the comb into.

My question is how long should we wait until we go in and check for the queen?

We did not see her during the cut out but there was alot of bees. We used a medium hive body with the screened shim and then placed the deep with all the frames of brood on top of the medium. We slid the screen out slowly between them and after dark I could hear them up there with the brood.

I don't want to wait too long, but I also don't want to add any more stress than I already have.
They seem to be coming and going today. Lots of orientation flights.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

Joe S.
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 04:44:58 PM »

All eggs laid yesterday or before will hatch by Sat. I would check just enough to find eggs Sunday or Monday.

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
wayne
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

Stay out of the hive for at least 3 weeks or more. If you go poking around they may abscound.
  There should be eggs and larva in the brood you cut out so even without the queen they can make another one. Give them time to restore the damage to the combs, get used to the box, and if need be to raise a queen.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:46:54 PM »

i don't wait that long, but i do wait at least a week.  also, feed.  it helps them settle in and at this time of the year, they need to rebuild stores quickly. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
jhs494
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 06:50:58 AM »

Thanks to everyone for the replies.
We went down after dark and took a peak into the entrance hole. (small flashlight from a distance)
Any bees that did not survive the roller coaster ride down the bee vac hose have been removed.
It also looks like they are cleaning up the comb judging by the trimmings on the bottom of the hive.

I really hope the Queen is in there and survived the move, I would like to keep the genetics of this queen going.

Joe S.
jhs494
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 10:44:58 AM »

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just a quick update!
 We took a quick look into the hive that we cut out earlier this week.
 The bees have bridged the comb to the frames (We did not pull each frame it could be seen from the top)
Pulled one frame from the outside to give us room and then went to the center frames.
We found eggs in frame 6 and actually spotted the Queen in frame 5. Big sigh of relief.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Joe S.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next