Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 26, 2014, 01:45:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am i to late  (Read 835 times)
fenux1255
New Bee

« on: July 31, 2009, 03:56:40 PM »

i have a couple hives and i just was asked today to remove a swarm from near by my property my question is that its july 31 is it to late for that
swarm to make it threw the winter and what can i do to save it so that i can add it to my collection of hives this is my first year so my 2 hives do not have a large supply of honey to donate to the new hive any suggestions
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 04:15:30 PM »

depends on some stuff.  how big is the swarm?  do you have the queen?  do you have at least some drawn foundation? 

if they are small, or you do not have a mated queen, the best bet is to combine them with another hive.  if it is a large swarm and you can feed them, they have a reasonable chance of making it.  you will have to feed them between now and weather change.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
homer
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 06:13:39 PM »

If you have other hives that are exceptionally strong I would think that you could take resources from some of them to help boost the new swarm.  You will have to feed them like crazy and probably five them some frames of honey to get them through winter though.  This along with all the advice kathyp gave.
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 11:33:15 PM »

Put them in a single deep.  Then feed 1-1 syrup.  And feed and feed.  Don't bother with 2 boxes, just make sure they have a single deep full.  They can make it (assuming as Kathy said, they are a decent size swarm)

If you have the equipment, what do you have to lose?  $20 of sugar?  And if they don't make it you end up with a box of drawn comb.  Smiley  That's worth $20 next spring when you hive a different swarm in it, if they don't make it.

Rick
fenux1255
New Bee

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 02:43:01 AM »

k thank you guys for getting back to me so quick im on my way up to see how big the swarm is tomarrow and to remove it i just wanted a kind of game plan as to what to plan for Smiley thanks a bunch
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next