Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 05:53:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Too late in season to let them make a queen?  (Read 2504 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2009, 04:11:54 PM »

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2009, 11:30:14 PM »

Wow...I can tell that you are a cold hearted conservative!! (any room at that puke station, I'm gonna need it too!!   grin)

I'm in michigan and thinking of splitting my hives.  Cutting it close? Maybe a bit.  Want to spend $60 on queens?  Nope.  You still have time if you don't want to drop the moolah.

Rick
Pond Creek Farm
Field Bee

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009, 11:04:39 PM »

So a question about queenlessness late in the season: Is this common?  I have had various packages go queenless, but it has been in the early season.  Are hives at risk to go queenless year round?  If so, what are the causes if we know?  If one were to get a queen this late, could heavy feeding keep them through the winter?

Brian
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2009, 06:18:48 AM »

So a question about queenlessness late in the season: Is this common?  I have had various packages go queenless, but it has been in the early season.  Are hives at risk to go queenless year round?  If so, what are the causes if we know?  If one were to get a queen this late, could heavy feeding keep them through the winter?

Fall queen loss is not uncommon.   My personal feeling is that the real quality of a queen does not show up until fall/winter,  which by the way is the worse time to have them fail.  I also believe that a lot of winter failures that are blamed on "winter weather" are really queen failures.    I can only speak for myself,  but since I have been keeping only well feed grafted and swarm queens winter losses are less than when I tolerated emergency queens.   Ideally you want your new queen to go through 3 or so brood cycles before winter, so figure 2 months before the last fall brod rearing to introduce a new queen.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2009, 04:16:10 PM »

Didn't a recent article in Bee culture recommend re queening in the late summer early fall for the purpose of out breeding the mites?Maybe letting them make a queen is a push,but if you can buy a queen it may all be well.If it does requeen itself  and the population is light,be sure to shrink the colony to a size that can keep itself warm over the winter.Or do a combine with another hive.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next