Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 12:42:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hive entrance size  (Read 5762 times)
Mason
House Bee

« on: July 27, 2009, 02:27:49 PM »

Typical rookie here,

I just now noticed that one of my hives has a larger or "taller" entrance slot than the other.  The hives are different and each came from a different supplier.  It might be I have one bottom board upside down.

How tall should the entrance opening be?

Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP
Hethen57
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 02:57:01 PM »

Mine are all supposed to be 3/4", give or take a 1/16".  I've had sand a couple of my blocks to get them to fit because they were a little tight.

-Mike
Paraplegic Racehorse
House Bee

Kilted beekeepers unite!

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:31:34 PM »

Most of the 19th century literature recommends MUCH smaller openings than we currently use - in most cases a 1"-2" hole. Most "feral" hives will seek cavities with pretty small entrances, too.

My Warre hives seem to have no more difficulty using their 1/2" x 4" openings than the full-width x 5/8" openings of my Langstroth hives.

I'm Paraplegic Racehorse.
Member in good standing: International Discordance of Kilted Apiarists, Local #994

The World Beehive Project - I endeavor to build at least one of every beehive in common use today and document the entire process.
SlickMick
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 11:14:02 PM »

Being in SHB territory I keep my entrances as small as the hive allows me to. 3/8" high by what ever can be guarded by the bees.. a single deep is at the moment about 7-8" long

Mick

On the outer Barcoo where the churches are few,
   And men of religion are scanty,
On a road never cross'd 'cept by folk that are lost,
   One Michael Magee had a shanty.

Now this Mike was the dad of a ten-year-old lad,
   Plump, healthy, and stoutly conditioned;
He was strong as the best, but poor Mike had no rest
   For the youngster had never been christened,
A BUSH CHRISTENING - A.B. "Banjo" Paterson http://www.middlemiss.org/lit/authors/patersonab/poetry/christen.html
BoBn
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 10:51:47 AM »

Mine are all 3/8".  It works well for me.  I also notice that I never get much debris build up in the winter as I used to have with 3/4".  The bees keep it cleaned out. 

In the summer, I slide a super above the hive bodies back about 3/8" for an additional entrance when needed. 

In the winter, I fasten a reducing block to the bottom so that the bottom entrance is about 3/4" wide, and keep a 3/4" round hole near the top of the hive open.

"Millions of innocent men, women, and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch toward uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make one-half the world fools and the other half hypocrites."
--Thomas Jefferson
Michael Bush
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 09:07:39 AM »

Between 1/4" and 3/4"

Michael Bush
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--Rick Nielsen
charles
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »

about 3/8"

4 hives
Carol
House Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:22 PM »

I am in Central FL....it's starting to get warm. I have my hive in a spot that is shaded late afternoon, which I hope will help. My entrance is 3/8" and I was thinking of making it larger until I found this post. This is a package that was installed about 49 days ago, 3.13.13.  There are a lot of bees at the entrance...cleaning and fanning. I don't see any dropped pollen but there is definately a traffic jam. Do you leave yours 3/8" all year round?

Bush_84
House Bee

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 02:30:50 PM »

I am in Central FL....it's starting to get warm. I have my hive in a spot that is shaded late afternoon, which I hope will help. My entrance is 3/8" and I was thinking of making it larger until I found this post. This is a package that was installed about 49 days ago, 3.13.13.  There are a lot of bees at the entrance...cleaning and fanning. I don't see any dropped pollen but there is definately a traffic jam. Do you leave yours 3/8" all year round?

FYI we are talking height and not length.  I suspect you would need to open your entrance reducer a bit, not increase the height of your entrance.

My entrances are 3/8" tall.

Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next