Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 02, 2014, 08:43:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Some Russian beehives...  (Read 1202 times)
shemer
House Bee

« on: July 23, 2009, 02:09:11 PM »

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »

do you put all your honey supers on at the same time, or do you pull them and add more as they fill?  i pull mine as they fill, but mine are close to my house so it is convenient. 

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
David LaFerney
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 11:31:25 PM »

I like the metal corner brackets - that's a good strong alternative to finger joints or other complex wood work.  How long do the plywood boxes last?

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.
shemer
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

do you put all your honey supers on at the same time, or do you pull them and add more as they fill?  i pull mine as they fill, but mine are close to my house so it is convenient. 

this is my first year at beekeeping so I may be wrong... but as I see that colony is getting stronger I immediately erect either honey supers or another brood cubicle despite that frames they already had only partially filled... so I guess I put them all on at the same time to avoid extraordinary  inspections of the hive... (usually I check colony`s condition once a month).

shemer
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 12:17:08 AM »

I like the metal corner brackets - that's a good strong alternative to finger joints or other complex wood work.  How long do the plywood boxes last?

I don`t know if that`s an alternative or not... I guess finger joints work very well, too. In this hives there is a second wall with polyfoam in between which makes deep hives body less heavier and much warmer in winter (and I hope cooler in summer)... I don`t know how long it`ll last as this was made by me out of emergency because old hives with which I had bought with my colonies was (a) very old and (b) not spacious enough to raise a strong family... Do you know what Dadant is? That`s what I had initially - four deephive bodied Dadants... Now when I did upgrade them to whatever they are I don`t know how to classify my hives.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next