Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 25, 2014, 02:46:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Attorney: Terri's husband cradled her  (Read 2335 times)
BigRog
House Bee

« on: April 01, 2005, 07:09:13 AM »

Attorney: Terri's husband cradled her
'It was a very emotional moment for many of us there'
Friday, April 1, 2005 Posted: 3:23 AM EST (0823 GMT)

(CNN) -- Terri Schiavo died a "calm, peaceful and gentle death" around 9 a.m. ET Thursday, cradled by her husband and legal guardian, Michael, said attorney George Felos.

Felos, who is Michael's Schiavo's attorney, told reporters that when his client entered his wife's room at the Woodside Hospice in Pinellas Park, Florida, about 8:45 a.m., "it was apparent that it was the final moments for Mrs. Schiavo."

Also in the room were hospice caregivers; Michael's brother, Brian; and another Schiavo attorney, Deborah Bushnell, said Felos, who was himself there.

Her death came less than 12 hours after the U.S. Supreme Court rejected her parents' last appeal and nearly two weeks after doctors, acting on an order issued by a state circuit court judge, removed her life-sustaining feeding tube. (Full story)

She was 41 and had been incapacitated since 1990 after suffering a heart attack that caused permanent brain damage.

Felos said Michael Schiavo had been staying in a room just down the hall from his wife for the past two weeks, ever since her feeding tube was removed March 18 on an order issued at Schiavo's request by Pasco-Pinellas Circuit Court Judge George Greer.

Felos said it had become apparent Wednesday that she was nearing death, with her heart beating rapidly, her skin mottling and her breathing becoming more difficult.

Even in Terri Schiavo's final moments, there was one last dispute between her husband and other family members. (Family feud continues)

Terri's brother, Bobby Schindler, and his sister, Suzanne Vitadamo, had been in the room visiting their sibling for about an hour and 45 minutes when a hospice administrator notified Michael Schiavo that his wife was in her final stages.

Bobby Schindler got upset when a hospice official asked the siblings to leave the room so that Schiavo's condition could be evaluated.

"There was not a confrontation," said the Rev. Frank Pavone, a Catholic priest and friend of the family who was there. "He was simply emotionally upset as anyone would be. ... He was told on no uncertain terms" they had to leave.

The Schiavo side gave a different version, saying the brother confronted the police officer who was trying to shepherd them out.

"Bobby caused a commotion with the police officer," said Brian Schiavo.

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, stood by his client's decision to have Terri Schiavo's brother and sister leave the room.

"Mr. Schiavo's overriding concern was Mrs. Schiavo has a right and had a right to die with dignity and die in peace," Felos said. "She had a right to have her last and final moments on this Earth be experienced by a spirit of love and not of acrimony."

He added, "I emphasize it because this death was not for the siblings and not for the spouse and not for the parents. This was for Terri."

Her parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, had begged to be with their firstborn while she drew her last breath but police denied their request, said Brother Paul O'Donnell, the Schindlers' spokesman and spiritual adviser.

When they were notified that their daughter had died, the couple hurriedly came to the hospice and stayed in the room where her body lay.

"It's our understanding that the Schindlers spent some time with Terri's body," Felos said. "They were free to spend as much time as they chose with her body. After they left, the hospice workers bathed Terri's body, and Mr. Schiavo and all of us went back in to spend some more time."

Michael Schiavo was not present in the room during their visit.

'Terri, we love you dearly'
At one point about 30 to 40 hospice workers, many of whom had stayed past their shifts, formed a circle around Terri Schiavo's body, Felos said. A hospice chaplain said a prayer, he said.

"It was a very emotional moment for many of us there," Felos said.

Bobby Schindler later told reporters: "Terri, we love you dearly, but we know that God loves you more than we do. We must accept your untimely death as God's will."

Neither he nor his sister mentioned that morning's incident in the hospice room, but they both indirectly criticized their brother-in-law.

"After these recent years of neglect at the hand of those who were supposed to protect and care for her, she is finally at peace with God for eternity," Vitadamo said.

Michael Schiavo and the Schindlers had been locked in a bitter court battle since 1998. The husband contended his wife wouldn't have wanted to be kept alive by artificial means. The parents argued that if she had intense therapy she would significantly recover.

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2005, 09:16:14 AM »

How sweet,  first time in 15 years!

The same husband that introduced her to his girlfriend as his "dead wife" and who was also overheard telling her "Die B*tch".   Both of which are in sworn testimony by nurses that cared for Terri.

Oh by the way,  he would not allow her family to be there in the last moments either.  I'm sure that was what she wanted too.

"calm, peaceful and gentle death"

Just like all those that were starved to death in the Nazi consentration camps.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

BigRog
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 09:43:10 AM »

"Even in Terri Schiavo's final moments, there was one last dispute between her husband and other family members. (Family feud continues)

Terri's brother, Bobby Schindler, and his sister, Suzanne Vitadamo, had been in the room visiting their sibling for about an hour and 45 minutes when a hospice administrator notified Michael Schiavo that his wife was in her final stages.

Bobby Schindler got upset when a hospice official asked the siblings to leave the room so that Schiavo's condition could be evaluated.

"There was not a confrontation," said the Rev. Frank Pavone, a Catholic priest and friend of the family who was there. "He was simply emotionally upset as anyone would be. ... He was told on no uncertain terms" they had to leave.

The Schiavo side gave a different version, saying the brother confronted the police officer who was trying to shepherd them out.

"Bobby caused a commotion with the police officer," said Brian Schiavo.

Michael Schiavo's attorney, George Felos, stood by his client's decision to have Terri Schiavo's brother and sister leave the room.

"Mr. Schiavo's overriding concern was Mrs. Schiavo has a right and had a right to die with dignity and die in peace," Felos said. "She had a right to have her last and final moments on this Earth be experienced by a spirit of love and not of acrimony." "

"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2005, 10:37:16 AM »

Quote from: Robo

"calm, peaceful and gentle death"

Just like all those that were starved to death in the Nazi consentration camps.

Was she not (mostly) brain dead? Do you suppose they gave any pain relieving drugs for any possible pain she might have been feeling?

Have you ever gone a few days with out eating? I have. After a while your stomach actually stops hurting. You may have head aches, but I have those all day every day. And there is a fuzzy, weak feeling. But in her state I don't believe she felt any of that. You have to quit looking at it from your healthy point of view.

As far as the rest, I'm staying out of it.

Except being with Rog in that I have a problem with authority.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2005, 03:25:28 PM »

Now Michael Schiavo can go back to his "live in" wife and kids (isn't there some moral - bigamy issue here - if only in the eyes of God?) and go about his life, now that his P.I.T.A. wife final croaked - I hope he lives a healthly life but someday he has the same "Ethical" decisions made about him.

Sorry, but this bum should burn in Hell - I just don't like the slime.

When the last people to see Terri was Michael, his brother ($^* is he doing there) and their two laywers - I don't have any love loss for this useless piece of crap. He washed his hands of Terri YEARS ago and should have returned all rights to her parents, "whom" he did nothing but bring hurt and pain to" the only people" who obviously loved Terri - her biological family.

Karma will knock on Michael's door some day and sweep the life out of him, if all things are fair in the Universe, he will not go peacefully as humane and decent people wish - but he will experience what dying when the only thing that kept you from living was the ability to swallow and then lie there 14 days as all his PERFECTLY GOOD organs failed, as Terri did.

God will be this "scum-buckets" judge - I'm done with thinking of him, itmakes me less of a human.

When will euthanasia become allowed for the terminally ill in this country - when doctors try to aid the dying pass humanely, they are sent to jail to die.

I promise you this, if I know my days are numbered - there will be a swift and pain free way for me to go, and there will not be a Michael Schiavo home laying in bed with another woman, popping out kids and spitting in the face of my family as he did the Schlindlers. I would NEVER give anyone that opertunity to destroy my family like HE has theirs.

He gave them no peace, no dignity, and shows no remorse that I have seen. Don't anyone try to tell me he was a loving man - oh wait.... He must be, his LAWYERS tell us "he is"!!!!

I'll add that my brother spent his last 2 weeks on a full respirator and if ANYONE had tried to keep my family from seeing him during his last minutes - I cannot imagine the VENGENCE we would have unleashed. Every dollar would have been spent to seek justice - old fashioned justice.

I can't imagine those last few mintes when the Hospice staff said "It is very soon now" and Michael Schiavo rushed out Terri's parents and siblings and ran in with his laywers.

I was always surprised that the family of Ronald Goldman never dealt with OJ Simpson - that one surprised me. I do not advocate retribution, but I don't deny that it has been the theme of man since the beginning of self knowledge. Is "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" the RIGHT WAY?Huh Push people far enough and you will find out - but Terri's family are good people, their own loss was placed back burner when they spoke to the press and the country - thanking everyone for their prayers and support.

I think it is a lucky day for Michael Schiavo that the Schindlers are good people, they will go home, treasure their memories, somehow heal from these endless years and hopefully sue his ass off in every possible court in the land.

Karma, I surely hope it is real - he will someday know the hurt he has caused and I hope he spends an eternity reliving the last 14 days of Terri's life.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection
Follow us on TWITTER
SKYPE NJBeemaster - include your FORUM NAME in contact request
My Personal FACEBOOK Page

"All donations to our forums are greatly appreciated"
Please click HERE to help support our forum.
Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 07:08:16 PM »

I think this is all very sad and I can see it from both veiw points. so so sad Sad

Ryan Horn
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 08:10:50 PM »

Ryan:

The difference is that I aquaint this terrible ordeal with an example:

There is a cave-in collapse... Terri is trapped with severe injury under the rubble but she is stable and her vitals are stable - all they need to do is keep a feeding tube to her, She feels no pain due to the injury from the crash.

Her family wants all efforts made to get the minimal requirements of life to her even though it was impossible to rescue her. Mean while her husband chose to let her go without any food or water, although she was alive and just feet away.

And after she is finally pulled from the rubble, her parentw want to care for her, giving the husband permission to go about his life as he chooses, but he refuses and chooses to leave her there, stuck in the rubble and die a slow and needless death while her blood family stand around for 15 years and are not able to do anything but watch.

We argue the Abu Grab Prison issues and yet starving someone to death is perfectly fine, Well, neither are right - often in life all people on both sides of an issue are either right or wrong.

Euthanasia is not allowed in this country - I will never understand why we choose to let people die a long and slow death - then complain about the cost of medical treatment.

Again, the lowest life American Timothy McVey was given the choice to be put to death humanely - Terri Schiabo was not given the same choice. To let a mass murdered have a CHOICE of life in prison or the leathal injection is a CRIME - but nothing compared to starving a human to death like Terri.

After killing 167 people as McVey did, wouldn't starving that scum have been MORE FITTING if we were going to carry on such a death sentence and AFFORD Terri the option to go as peacefully as McVey went.

I'm really displeased with the government right now - they lost all credibility on this issue. Let's rethink who deserves a peaceful death and who deserves to suffer - NO ONE with a sound mind can see that the two people mentioned in this post deserved the death sentences they recieved. McVey should have been moved to general population or better yet, placed in a building wired with explosives and told that it would be detonated, just not told when. THAT would have been a more fitting death for an AMERICAN willing to kill children and adults who were just doing their best to be good citizens.

Terri was murdered by the state - with the blessing of her husband who saught NO METHOD more humane that starvation.

So in our country in the 21st century we can't torture treasonist, terrorists, mass murders but be can starve people who are sick and unable to care for themselves. All because she could no longer swallow - but meanwhile she had very healthy organs which could have been harvested and used to save the lives of maybe a dozen people - but the state chose to cause poison her organs with circulating fluids that could not be flushed out due to lack of fluid intake.

So the state not only killed her (I prefer murder over killed in this case) but they also destroyed the chance of MANY OTHER FAMILIES from having a second chance of life.

Now the final issues are the Husband wants her cremated ASAP and placed in his family's vault, when her blood family wants here in buried intact in their own family cemetary.

Our law states that ONCE WE MARRY our spouse has rights over the blood family - I can live with that AS LONG AS THE SPOUSE has NO ALTERNATIVE reasons to EXPIDITE the ill person. We always need to aire on the side of LIFE, because once DEATH is chosen, there are no TAKE-BACKS.

I just can't see BOTH SIDES on this issue - not when there are soooo many unanswered questions to the reasoning of the Husband. The blood family BEGGED to take her and LEGALLY remove ANY AND ALL responcibility on the husband - he wouldn't go for that. His reasoning, she has suffered long enough, but then out of the same side of his face he said she doesn't have the ability to suffer.

Michael Schiavo has entered the HALL OF UNIMAGINABLE SHAME - right up with OJ Simpson, Timothy McVey and The long list of Cannabals and Serial Killers.

The difference being, the others at least made it to a trial, this skag will somehow go down as a martyr - some people believe ANYTHING, like Comets what take you to Heaven, drinking poisoned coolade will take you  closer to God, blowing up a hundred people with dynomite strapped to your body willalso take you to heaven. Some idiots will think of the husband as a moral and humane person - and that sickens me to think of.

Euthanasia is the answer... We need to believe that there is a just way for good people to leave this Earth if they are terminal - I just hope living wills of the future will include the option of PUT ME TO SLEEP. I will gladly check that box when no sign of hope exists.

Follow us on TWITTER

queenb64
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2005, 01:53:00 PM »

I,  like most everyone have been watching all the reports, kinda felt like I knew terry personally.

My views are, Where was the advocate for her? Children have advocates that step in between the parents and the courts anf fight for the child, animals have advocates that protect their rights, where was the advocate for this woman. There was NO proof of her wanting to die,AND, from what her husband said, she didnt want to live by artificial means, .The nurse stated that she was taking fluids BY MOUTH before her "loving husband" decided to go with the tube. Yes their should have been an advocate to represent terry, should have had the courts order an immediate divorce on the grounds of adultury, (married til death do us part), and then given her family the right to care for their daughter. Terrys rights were not honored. Another thing, whats going to happen if the autopsy shows she had brain function? They going to say OOPS. ? Murderers, in jail get better treatment thatn terry got, and even though we as humans cannot change what happened, God will definately punish those who refused to protect terry. The future miss Shiavo is a dumb &^^%% for staying with that fool, she's the next vicitm, she better make her will out now and get a pre nuptual agreement if shes stupid enough to stay with him. Who with any morals or and compassion could stand to even look at that man?

"if you can dish it out, you better be able to take it"
beemaster
Site Founder
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2005, 02:42:14 PM »

Hi Queenie Smiley

I miss seeing you around - I hope all your troubles have eased some. Just to let you know, you have been in my thoughts and prayers!!!!

I think I've said everything about Terri that I could - those who agree say Amen and those who do not think I am an idiot. I honestly play to no audience, and surely show no favor to like thinkers.

Just a side thought, anyone in this forum who has been here since it's foruming 13+ months ago surely has ead that I feel we all have the right of expression of opinion - I have created such forums to allow that WITHOUT cluttering up the beekeeping areas.

I express my opinion and allow all others, just as a free speech believer like me must do! Sometimes though, I feel the need to bite my tongue because the arguement (or better said - the rebuttal) is down right foolish. But we all have core beliefs WHICH dictate how we see the world and interact with it. So all opinions are allowed and NO ONE is allowed to be critisized personally for their opinions. I work hard here (although it doesn't seem like Beemaster actually does anything but work at the danged Navy base of his - lol) to make sure we all treat each other with respect.

That all said, I agree with you 100% Terri had NO RESPECT or REPRESENTATION or AVOCATE at the end. The law that passed power of attorny over to the spouce upon marriage was her death sentence. Her own blood family (the only people who cared for her in my opinion) indeed was kept out of the loop of critical decision making.

For years I have been my mothers Patient Advocate - the person who deals with ALL MATTERS of legal and medical neccessities when she can not make a sound judgement because of health imparements (post surgury, etc,.) I am the one who has to battle with the nurses, doctors, administrator and if need be court - and I will do so with muster!

Dealing with the hospital enviroment, nursing home and rehab facilities for many years, first with my brother and father (both who have passed) and now at a nearly chronic state with my ailling mother, I know that The only thing that keeps a patient alive is a family advocate it is not the nurses, the dotors or anyone higher up.

It is the family member who sees a food tray come and go untouched, or sits there when the medication cart rolls by and the meds that should be delivered are not. It is the family member who SCREAMS THE LOUDEST who keeps their loved one alive.

Sad fact, but the person left alone in a hospice, hospital, rehab, etc., will eventually die because understaffed facilities, drug addicted help, under-paid people who have the "Crappy end of the diaper" take their vengence out on the patient - sometimes subtly, often obvious.

Everyone needs an advocate, one who understands both the conditions and wishes of the patient. If Michael Schiavo didn't want anything to do with Terri, then he legally could have passed her on to her blood family, washing his hands (which he did anyway) of Terri and go about his life (which again he did anyway).

I will never believe that allowing her parents to take her home, to be loved and cared for, for the rest of her life was a bad thing. The bad thing was to treat her with an unimaginable and vulgar death sentence - the law makers of this country can BITE ME if they don't like this, but they were wrong at ALL LEVELS of Government. She was treated LESS HUMANELY than a Blender full of Matagascar Cockroaches on Fear Factor - at least they were chopped up and put out of her misery.

Not even the location of the ASHES of TERRI will be shared with the family, I now here. Michael Schiavo, you are some piece of crap - I can only wish that Satan himself has an especially hot corner of Hell waiting for you.

This issue is tough on me - seeing my brother go 2 weeks on life support and just burying my father-in-law who spent 2 one week periods also on ventilators. But all Terri needed was food and water tubed to her stomach. The tube was already there and had been for a long time. She had people who wanted to care for her and WHETHER THERE WAS CONSCIENCE FUNCTION or not, she was loved and had a place to go.

I don't have love loss for people who commit attrocities on mankind - but I could not even wish this punnishment on them. We the people may be civilized, but our elected and appointed government and laws concerning humane death NEED TO CHANGE.

Euthanasia needs to be allowed in our society. People of sound mind who wish to end a painful and terminal life should have the right to do so. If there is no hope and you can no longer sit back and watch your family drag themselves out to see you every day at a hospital, while you just get worse and worse with no hope of survival - why should the last memories of your family be of you wasted away to nothing with the scars of terminal illness - when a simple goodbye, an understanding that you want to go in peace and wish that they NOT have to wear them selves down to nothing mentally and physically JUST to support you as sickness takes its long and slow road to taking you to the next rhelm.

If it were my mother's wish to gracefully leave this world with dignity, in a quiet, painless manor - I would fully understand. She has a list of medical problems and degree of constant pain that would stagger most people. To me, she is the bravest of souls and I know it is her love for me that keeps her here and here fear that expediting her own death may prevent her from rejoining with my father and brother in Heaven.

It is sad when the only option someone has is to 1) suffer a slow death or 2) chance not seeing the Heaven they so hope is awaiting them.

I hope that in my life time I see some compassionate relief law passed allowing the terminal to gracefully pass on to a better, painless place. I think as a species, human will greatly evolve when this is allowed.

BUT PEOPLE.... Get those LIVING WILLS in order, get yourself a PATIENT ADVOCATE and when in the hospital, when you need something (anything) RING THAT NURSE BUTTON as if you know EVERY ANSWER on JERPARDY or you will die alone, sad and in pain. And the only thing your family will hear is "Your loved one passed quietly in the night - they felt no pain" and I'm not stretching the truth, hospitals are no different than any other business - they are staffed with the CHEAPEST HELP that the administration can afford to pay.

Yes Queen.... who was her Advocate? surely those who wanted to be were not allowed and Terri Schiavo is a perfect example of what could happen if you are not represented by someone who can speak for you when you can not speak for yourself.

PM Me... let me know how things are going Smiley

Follow us on TWITTER

Horns Pure Honey
House Bee

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2005, 10:20:02 PM »

What bothers me is that if they just had to let her die why couldnt they have done it a much better way. John and I where talking and he told me of many diff ways they could have done it and saved her organs to donate to others that needed them, this very sad Sad

Ryan Horn
Lesli
House Bee

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2005, 06:24:40 PM »

I believe she was given morphine, to alleviate any possible pain. The same was done for my father, when he was dying.

Lesli
http://beeyard.blogspot.com/
TVaughan
New Bee

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2005, 06:53:46 PM »

Now Michael Schiavo can go back to his "live in" wife and kids (isn't there some moral - bigamy issue here - if only in the eyes of God?)

No, not necessarily. I used to live in Papua New Guinea where I taught literacy for some Bible translators. We'd get men with more that one wife that converted, and we allowed them to keep all their wives for several reasons, which I'll get into if anyone's interested.

The main point is that of Federalism. The Founding Fathers were wise, and the last judge that ruled on that case (a conservative) properly slammed Bush and Co. because as he said, getting the Feds into this case attacks the most basic principles of our Constitution.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next