Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 29, 2014, 12:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wreaked Highways  (Read 603 times)
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« on: July 17, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

lau lau lau

Yes it is funny.... But sad.

You remember back a few months ago I was talking about all the material I was getting for my drives from the highway rebuild? At the time I thought there was something off in the way they were doing the repaving. I really didn't think it was going to last long. Down by the tracks where this county road intersects a US highway, they have now redone that place four times. Trucks have to make a hard right turn because of the angle. It just keeps tearing up.

But then we have been having some very hot days lately and it seems yesterday a heavy truck went down the road at just the right time and the hot asphalt stuck to his tires and pulled huge chunks out of the west bound lane.

Wonder what guarantee the contractor gave the state when he did the road? Bet he is losing money on this project.  shocked
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 03:12:50 PM by Jerrymac » Logged

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:08:03 PM »

Tricks have to make a hard right turn because of the angle. It just keeps tearing up.

you have a lot of prostitution out your way??  evil

they did that here on the highway.  spent huge amount of money on a new paving material and it didn't even last a year.  they had to tear it out and start over.  our tax dollars at work!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Jerrymac
Galactic Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:11:18 PM »

Got to watch them tricks  embarassed

Trucks.... I will fix.

rainbow sunflower  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   rainbow sunflower

Jerry

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/
wayne
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 01:23:32 PM »

I used to  work for the State and back in the 70s oil embargo we alowed the contractors to reduce the standards for the asphalt they used for paving. The new mix cost the same as the old stuff but fell apart in a few months, or formed grooves in the road as it never quite cured.
 When blacktop comes up it's because it was either too cold when laid down or they didn't tack it down with liquid asphalt.
 In Indiana once the inspector signs off on a job the contractor is off the hook unless major fraud is discovered.

I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.
oldenglish
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:09 PM »

Not a road but just as funny.

Back in the early 80's I worked at the Airfield in England that hosts the big airshow every other year. I also flew gliders there most weekends.
Well we had not been able to use one of the runways for about 8 months becuase it was getting resurfaced, unlike the main runway this smaller one did not have a concrete surface but an asphalt one.

They finished the surface about a month before the airshow, due to wind directions we only got to use it once when aircraft started arriving for the show. Well the biggest transport in the world at that time was russian and when it landed they hooked up the tug and proceeded to tow it down the new runway, they got about 50' before they stopped, they aircraft had sunk into the asphalt and it looked just like a tractor going through a muddy field. The powers that be decided that it wold be easier to go forward than to try to go back. To this day I wish I had a photo of that one.

Initial cost of the resurface was 1 million pounds.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next