Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 08:57:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: wax moths....should you expect to see some all of the time????  (Read 945 times)
joker1656
House Bee

« on: July 26, 2009, 01:44:57 PM »

I was switching some things around, and pulled a full frame from a hive to move it to another box.  It had honey, and brood in it.  As I moved it to the other box, I saw two wax worms squirm out and fall.  The hive is strong.  I was surprised to see wax worms. 

Should I expect to see some worms all of the time?  If so, how many should I see before I get concerned?  One hive had about three cocoons on a frame, but it was a weak hive.  I combined it with a strong one.  The strong one was the one where I was surprised to see them.

Thanks! 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
David Stokely
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »

I have not seen any in my 2 hives this time round in having hives.  Years ago when I had bees, I had what I thought were strong hives and yet I  did occasionally see them in the burr comb the bees would build around the opening of the inner cover, but I have never seen them actually on the frames of the hive.

indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:36:55 AM »

The strong one was the one where I was surprised to see them.
I'd be surprised, too. They are quick to infest a weak hive, but I don't think I've seen them in a strong hive. I'd probably inspect a bit more often to keep an eye on things.
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 08:00:05 AM »

>Should I expect to see some worms all of the time?

Negative. Usually a sign of something else going wrong. Have you perhaps transfered comb from a weaker hive to a stronger one and the eggs were already in the weaker hive???

John 3:16
Robo
Technical
Administrator
Galactic Bee

Beekeep On!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 08:09:45 AM »

All depends on where they were.  If they where in an isolated area where the bees could not get access to them (between split bottom bars, etc.), it is one thing, but if they where in the main comb then I would suspect you have issues.  If you use SBB your chances of seeing wax moths are higher since they can live under the screen without the bees bothering them and have all their food needs "fall from the sky".

How big where they?  Are you sure they were wax moth and not SHB?

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Joelel
Field Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »

I was switching some things around, and pulled a full frame from a hive to move it to another box.  It had honey, and brood in it.  As I moved it to the other box, I saw two wax worms squirm out and fall.  The hive is strong.  I was surprised to see wax worms. 

Should I expect to see some worms all of the time? NO If so, how many should I see before I get concerned? ONE One hive had about three cocoons on a frame, but it was a weak hive.  I combined it with a strong one.  The strong one was the one where I was surprised to see them.

Thanks! 

Acts2:37: Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
38: Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
39: For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
40: And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation
joker1656
House Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 12:00:15 PM »

Thanks for all of your responses.  The worms were about this long I.........I .  Not a very accurate measurement.  They were squirming and flopped out of the frame onto the ground.  I did could not find them afterwards.  I do not think they were SHB.  They aren't, supposedly, real common currently. 

I will inspect this hive more thoroughly ASAP. 

"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 01:25:16 PM »

I agree with Robo...

But I think there are usually a few in all hives, there are enough nooks and crannies for them to hang out in.

I have SBB and on most of my hives I can usually find little bits of caterillar dooty, even though I never see them in the hives.

Rick

Rick
sc-bee
Super Bee

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 04:06:39 PM »

Based on your estimate I.........I not shb  Wink! Shb more like I..I grin.

John 3:16
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next