Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
August 29, 2014, 03:34:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GM does it up right  (Read 700 times)
riverrat
House Bee

« on: July 15, 2009, 01:09:19 PM »

I don't usually post here but this just burns me when our government dollars went to gm and then they file for bankruptcy only to do this

http://www.kake.com/moneyheadlines/headlines/50854607.html

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
Scadsobees
Galactic Bee

Best use of smileys in a post award.

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »

If they are selling them in brazil, why not make them in brazil?

And if they are selling them in brazil, then some of those profits are going to come back to the US, right?

Of course I have no idea why they have plans to sell a brazillion cars when they can't even sell a few million of them here.  grin

Rick
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

why don't you post here??   grin

i wonder what is the extent of the connection between the parts of the company?  did the bankruptcy in the US have any impact on the Brazilian part of the company?

one thing is sure, with the taxes against businesses coming down the pipe, more companies will invest more money in foreign operations.  all other considerations aside, it makes better business sense to go where taxes and labor costs are less.  since unions and government are now in the same tank, companies will be squeezed by both.

this article is interesting.  if GM is owned, in part, by the government and the unions, investing in an operation in another country seems counterproductive?

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
buzzbee
Ken
Administrator
Galactic Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »

It sure seems counterproductive to union jobs.
Really though,take a look and see what models are made in exico and Canada to start with.
The Chevy Aveo and I think the Colorado line of trucks are built in the Daewoo plant in Korea.Daewoo went out of business in the US. I guess it was better to put a bowtie on them to sell this crap.Crap  with a fancy hat is still crap.
Heres an interesting article.
http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=1645
indypartridge
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »

I don't usually post here but this just burns me when our government dollars went to gm and then they file for bankruptcy only to do this

GM-Brazil is a Brazilian company owned by General Motors (US). The article you linked states that of the money being invested, half will come from GM-Brazil and half will be borrowed (by GM-Brazil), so it has little to do with the U.S. Taxpayer bailout of the parent company in the United States.  The cars will be developed by GM-Brazil for the Brazilian market. Note also that the article says: "GM Brazil has avoided the problems of its parent unit in the U.S. because of strong demand in Latin America's largest economy" and that in 2008 - when the U.S. market tanked - GM-Brazil had record-breaking sales.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next