was my very first cutout. An AT&T junction cabinet that had a volleyball-sized hive behind the kick plate. Everything I knew about cutouts I picked up from reading this forum, but I felt comfortable enough to agree to try.
The only woodenware I had was two shallow supers taped together to make an extra tall deep, with ten deep frames. The bottom had #8 cloth stapled on. I made a travel cover out of plywood and a couple frame bars the night before.
We opened the cabinet with weather getting rainy. I thought about just holding off, but they were so gentle, I thought I'd risk it. I smoked them and started cutting out comb. I accessed the cavity from behind the hive, so I was starting with the newest comb and working my way up to their entrance.
I cut out comb and put it into the frames with rubber bands. It was starting to sprinkle. By the time I had just about all the comb removed it was raining in earnest. With the comb framed up, I put the box by their entrance and smoked up the cavity. Never saw the queen, but no fear.
I left the hive there for them to adjust and rob their old honey. I’ll pick them up in a few days and bring them home. I'm really excited about this.
What I used:
ten frame hive box
rubber bands to hold in comb
What I want next time:
stings = 1