Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 16, 2014, 01:35:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Did I die and go to Heaven?  (Read 704 times)
mick
Queen Bee

« on: July 09, 2009, 06:48:13 AM »

Id thought Id post here as Ive moved from that post.

Today the daily special in the Canteen, was a variety of Sushi, for $2.70. Subsidised by about 5 bucks I reckon. I dont eat anything that has a face unless it has been cooked so I just watched.

You can drink as much free tea and very good freeze dried cofee, much better than I have at home, as you like. If you want brewed, Im told they have the finest money can buy for 2 bucks an endless cup. No wonder there is so much productivity.

There are about 6 dishes under 3 dollars, a few around the 5 buck mark, and a $20 restaurant main course of which there are about 4 is $7.90.

Here, in a Hamburger shop, a good burger is about 7 bucks, a McDonalds a Cheeseburger is $2.20 so you can see this place knows its good to have everyone well fed and back to work on time and I agree with them. Most people down here buy rubbish for morning tea and lunch, we dont tend to have food at afternoon tea time. So most people spend 10-20 dollars a day on take away food. Every second shop in the city is a food place. No wonder people are broke. A typical 20 year old apprentice tradesman eats:

6AM A pie or an egg and bacon sandwich for breakfast with 600ml of chocolate milk. $4-5

9.30AM Pie, chicken roll, hamburger, dim sims, can of coke, etc $4-5

12.00PM Pie, burger, chicken and chips, chinese food, coke, $10-12 bucks

4.00PM 2 Stubbies beer, 5 bucks, 1 packet chips, 2 bucks.

Now these boys work hard, but thats what it costs them to fuel up. $20-25  a day easy. Then they eat like a horse at night. So you see HOW LUCKY I AM TO NOT BE 20!

I am 10 steps from the canteen that is open from 7.30 till 3pm, But I havent eaten in there yet. Im worried that if I start I wont stop. I can feed myself from this joint for less than I can do at home! all this for 4-5 hundred people. Its all good too, fresh made, real chefs, fresh salads, im stunned.

This is sooooooooooo rare here nowdays. Some factories have canteens, but not of this standard.

Oh did I tell you about the widescreen TV in the canteen? The Baseball from the US was on when I looked in. Or the free Internet stations? or the outdoor BBQ area, the Gym, the custom built 200 metre walking track with exercise stations? I went outside my first day for a walk, it was like the Olympics, everyone is encouraged to go outside at lunch time. They have a bike shed for bikes, purpose built, free locks, showers and lockers. Lots of outdoor tables. Shade, sun, trees!

Now all you blokes know the importance of a clean crapper. There are dunnies everywhere here, I got a choice of 5 with 4 stalls each!, plenty of paper too and squeaky clean. You wouldnt dare leave this place unless it was the same as home. There are alcohol hand cleanser stations at every door all over the entire building dozens of them! MAN I LOVE THIS I tried for years to introduce this where I used to work. A door handle if filthy! Huge windows, nice views.

So far my shortest travelling time was 40 minutes, I know I can knock this down to 35 minutes each way. As you know I walk and ride a bike. WHAAAAAAAAAA? You crazy! Nope. It costs me nothing to get to work, If I had a car, insurance and gas alone would be 60 bucks a week, now how much a week is that car payment worth?? so I am lucky!

Everyone is busy as a bee, very friendly and respectful of each other.

I dont want to mention names, I dont wanna blow this, spies are always everywhere.

However, when I was waiting for my first Int. I noticed a bloke walking around. Now, as you know, I am observant. I says to meself, hmmm this bloke is acting  like he owns the joint, I was watching out of the corner of my eye. I knew I had good posture, well dressed, looking confident yet relaxed. Over he came, up I got, he asked if I was waiting for someone, oh yes I said bla bla, chit chat, small talk, thankyou and goodbye.

So the other day, who should I meet about 5 minutes into my new start, but the same mr x. Oh hello do you remember me he says, oh yes we had a chat the other day, nice to see you again (insert first name). Well I hope you enjoy your stay, Ive heard good things about you. Hmm geeze, pinch me will ya, umm "Thank you I say bla bla" Id like you to meet .....

Turns out he was the big boss, talk about rofl! Hes in charge of 6 departments half the people. He was checkin me out in the foyer! This place values respect more than just about anything I feel. Its a big joint, you dont want little fires going off all over the place.

What I like is the project is only a few months old. The opportunity to drive it, get results, work with people not against them, reward people for doing the right thing. Our branch is about 60 people, my team is 4. All mature people who have been around a bit, a mix of skills and attitudes and all dead keen on what we are doing. I like them already, we are all a bit reserved of course, but we all know when you feel the vibe, and I feel it.

I slept like a baby last night.

Irwin
Super Bee

howdy all

« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 10:48:32 AM »

I'm very happy for you mick grin Sound's like a great place to work.

Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.
charmd2
House Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »

I think you work with me. Wink  my workplace is nearly that amazing.  Cept they arent' always holding hands and singing kumbaya

Charla Hinkle
Bee Happy
Super Bee

that's me - setting a phoenix free

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 02:25:53 PM »

It's almost stunning, to find yourself in the company of professionals, when you have also worked with those of a much lower caliber.
I'm happy for you Mick; I hope the place keeps having promise for you.

be happy and make others happy.
annette
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009, 12:44:19 AM »

Love your description of the place.  Very funny to me reading your aussie accent.

I am so happy for you and the new job.

mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 05:04:59 AM »

I think you work with me. Wink  my workplace is nearly that amazing.  Cept they arent' always holding hands and singing kumbaya

I reckon they will roll out the touchy feely as I call it before long!

I think this shows the difference between what private enterprise in this country calls "good conditions" and what the Government and its private entities call the same thing. I spose we have a few private jobs like this, maybe the big ones, Grollo Constructions, Theiss, Visy etc.

Then again, maybe this IS the new standard, been around for 10 years and because Ive been office based and worked for tight fisted businesses, havent noticed it. I will have to ask the people I work with and get back to you.

We might get moved upstairs, so I would have an uninterrupted view to the south east. This covers the airport near me, the bay, all the way down to where I live! Planes and weather all day?!!!  If this comes to pass, I will have to sponsor an African Village or something!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next