Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 18, 2014, 04:07:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ATTENTION ALL NEW MEMBERS
PLEASE READ THIS OR YOUR ACCOUNT MAY BE DELETED - CLICK HERE

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat(1)  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Left in the Field  (Read 882 times)
bhfury
New Bee

« on: July 08, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »

A friend of mine owns a farm in California and the beek who was there for pollination has left about 20 hives in the field. My friend has made several attempt to contact the beek, with no response. What's my friend's (the farmer) option in getting the hives removed.

Thanks,
Greg
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:10:18 PM »

Send him a registered letter saying to remove them or will be sold for storage fees.

Did they have a contract between them for the pollination services?

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
bhfury
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:17:38 PM »

Did they have a contract between them for the pollination services?

Yep they did.... My friend is considering them abandoned.  I told him to call the Ag Dept. and Sherriff Dept. to get their recommendation.  If the "GOBERMENT" will let me take them, I'm thinking about going out there in a couple of weeks and get them.  My fear is the hives won't make it back through the Mojave Desert alive on their way to New Mexico.  I will also see if an inspector will come out and look at them as well.
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 12:28:22 AM »

That (abandoning hives) is bizarre.   I'd have to guess something bad happened to the beekeeper to keep him from responding (check the obits?  shocked).  It makes no sense for someone to just abandon their hives, especially someone in the pollination biz.  

If all else fails, I'll remove them, for free.   grin  Where in Cali?

My fear is the hives won't make it back through the Mojave Desert alive on their way to New Mexico.

As long as you leave them open, properly-ventilated (maybe keep on the move thru the desert & at night, if possible) ~ they should be fine.  I'd be more worried about them swarming in the two weeks prior to your arrival (assuming they are healthy hives).

Cheers,
Dane
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:55:01 AM by Dane Bramage » Logged

RayMarler
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 12:41:24 AM »

Where in California? I can go pick them up for free if they not too far away from me. Cheesy

Sitting in the shade, drinking lemon aid.
Enjoying the breeze while counting the bees.
bhfury
New Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 09:00:44 AM »

My guess is if there is a broker involved, somehow they forgot about them.  What I've been told is there are no marking on the hives.  All this info is coming from a non-beek person, so I'm not really sure about the whole thing.  I'm going to find out more today. But, I will know more next Friday when we go out to Cali on our vacation.  I'm going to stop by and look at the hives.     
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 09:12:06 AM »

there maybe a middle man involed in the pollination services. There is a local fella here that leases out his hives for pollination, the guy he leased them to took them to Cali. and was susposed to bring them back but said they all died and he was not going to return any of his wooden ware. Big stink and he is taking him to court. I think he said it was about 200 hives.

I would get a copy of the contract and then send a registered letter to the pollinator.
There may even be a clause in there that if they are left after a certain date they are abandoned, or they are to be removed by a certain date. I would think that they are branded or marked somewhere or some how.

Sounds like when they were loading out the hives they either missed these or the truck was full. 20 hives is a big investment to the hobby guy like me, not sure about the pollinators.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
bhfury
New Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »

G3 -

I think you are right.... I will know more tonight when I talk with the guy and for sure when I get out there.  I hope they aren't AHB and that's why they were left.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next