Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
October 26, 2014, 04:11:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cutout Request - Tucson AZ - pics  (Read 861 times)
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« on: July 08, 2009, 07:08:31 PM »

I took a look at a potential cutout, the area is Cortaro/Silverbell (Marana).

The homeowner would like to rescue the bees if possible. They have been in this location for a couple months now. The bees have not been aggressive to date.

Hive is approx 12 to 14 feet up, here are a few photos:

Earlier, the homeowner tried to plug the entrance with expanding foam. The bees are still coming and going through a gap in the tiles.

The job would be too much for me, I think, given the shape I'm in. I could "do" it, but I think I would take a lot longer than someone more fit.

I also have no idea what to charge for a situation like this one.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:31:53 PM »

I would tell the home owner to find someone that would repair the tile roof and pay them, pay for the scaffolding and then what ever you charge. Might want to talk with the roofer if you are unfamiliar with this type of roofing system.

Good call if you think it is beyond what you are willing to tackle, pass it off to someone else. It is not worth getting hurt over a few bees.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:38:34 PM »

i hate ladder jobs.  they make my knees hurt smiley.  if hubby goes along and will stand below and take stuff, it's not so bad, but still loads of work.  i don't do heights well anyway.  i would think that a tile roof would be a PIA!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 09:20:22 PM »

Well what happened to the cut out??? don't keep us in suspense!!

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
Cheryl
House Bee

top bar beekeeper

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:37:25 AM »

I don't think the owner has done anything yet.

The simplest and cheapest thing by far, would be a trapout/extermination combination. I know someone else who did something similar, so this is what I recommended the homeowner do:

Buy a bug-zapper that will fit along or as close to the entrance that the bees use. Mount it and leave it on 24/7 for three or four weeks. As more and more foragers go out and don't come back, brood will emerge and stores will be used up - solving the potential "drippy mess" problem. Eventually a starve-out or abscond will result (not that they'd make it very far if they absconded). He might have to reposition the zapper a couple times for maximum effectiveness.

Once no more bees are going to and from the location, the owner can get up there himself and remove the tiles, check out the damage, remove the combs if he can reach them, clean the area with Pinesol and seal it up really well.

That was my advice. I am by far not the most shrewd when it comes to business wheeling and dealing. :sigh:

Good personal karma, I hope. Still wish I could have those bees.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.

~ Aristotle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next