Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
September 30, 2014, 05:40:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: riding the river  (Read 1291 times)
kathyp
Universal Bee

« on: July 08, 2009, 04:06:07 PM »

took my mare down to the river today.  heck of a haul in and out of there, but worth it.  not to hot, a little overcast, and just about perfect.  great way to settle the mind.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
G3farms
Queen Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »

that looks like a great place to ride, just relax and let your mind take a breather. I think it is nice to just be in a quiet place and just listen to all of the sounds of nature.

G3

see my swarms and cut outs at https://www.youtube.com/user/soapy22bullet?feature=mhee

those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your @ss is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!
JP
The Swarm King
Universal Bee

I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 11:09:53 PM »

That indeed looks like a wonderful place to lose yourself.

...JP

"Good friends are as sweet as honey" Winne the Pooh

My pictures can be viewed at http://picasaweb.google.com/pyxicephalus
and
http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970

My Youtube videos can be viewed here: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=JPthebeeman&aq=f

My website JPthebeeman.com http://www.jpthebeeman.com/jpthebeeman/
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 10:08:10 AM »

it's an awesome ride.  starts out really mild, then hits switchbacks down into the river canyon.  getting down is almost as hard as getting back up.  it can be a little scary if you don't have a good stomach and good horse!

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »

Sandy River?  That sounds like a blast Kathy!  It's cooled off nicely (after the 90°s) eh?  Does your mare like to get in the river?

Cheers,
Dane

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009, 11:08:01 AM »

it is.  it's a part of oxbow, but not the part that most know.  she'll go into anything.  i don't take her into the river anymore because twice she sank  in soft sand out there.  it's just to dangerous.  + that river is really cold and fast!

Alexis de Tocqueville
Dane Bramage
Field Bee

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »

I was thinking about that danger (vs fun!) factor when I posted.  I'm sure it's still very cold with the snow melt-off.  & didn't that river used to be called (by Lewis & Clarke) the "quicksand river"?  hahaha  doesn't sound too safe does it?  Still, the image of riding a horse into a river after a strenuous trek to cool off sure sounds enticing.  cool

I've not been there on foot but I flew over quite a bit of the Sandy River in a light-sport plane not long ago.  I was surprised at how deep the canyon was.

kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 06:26:18 PM »

didn't that river used to be called (by Lewis & Clarke) the "quicksand river

i didn't know that, but i looked it up and sure enough.  thanks for the info.  maybe i should research my rides a little more.  going up to camp at timothy in a couple of weeks.  guess i'll look that up...although i have never run into trouble there...except a bear once.

Alexis de Tocqueville
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next