Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 17, 2014, 03:30:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mold Problem  (Read 586 times)
melnik
New Bee

« on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:56 PM »

Hi, i am really new to this forum so i apologize if this question has been asked already. We had a very rainy summer so far and yesterday i noticed that there is mold developing between the inner cover and the feeding box. Is this dangerous and what is the best way to remove it, clean it out completely?
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:19:22 PM »

Hi, i am really new to this forum so i apologize if this question has been asked already. We had a very rainy summer so far and yesterday i noticed that there is mold developing between the inner cover and the feeding box. Is this dangerous and what is the best way to remove it, clean it out completely?

Hi Melnik Smiley

Yes -- a hive needs to be warm and dry. Mold/moisture will eventually lead to disease and sick bees. I would immediately work on improving air-flow in your hive. It can be as easy as adding a stick to a corner between cover and inner cover or as complicated as adding a nice ventilation box which I use in the Northwest where we have lots of similar issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about existing mold and first get airflow right.

Blessings,
John Schwartz

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
melnik
New Bee

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »

What would be the best way to clean it out? Can i use stuff like bleach cleaner or spray-nine, and then wash it well?
lotsobees
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 01:06:17 PM »

What would be the best way to clean it out? Can i use stuff like bleach cleaner or spray-nine, and then wash it well?

I personally would just rub it off well without cleaner or use some lite apple-cider vinegar/water mix.

--John Schwartz
Psalm 119 - "How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth!"
Wynoochee_newbee_guy
House Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 12:11:24 AM »

Use a screen bottom board and that will im prove your ventalation problems big time.

Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next