Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
April 24, 2014, 04:09:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: 24/7 Ventrilo Voice chat -click for instructions and free software here

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Drowning bees  (Read 713 times)
NewBeeMike
New Bee

« on: June 30, 2009, 09:09:10 AM »

I've been feeding the big swarm I caught and placed in a TBH ever since I caught them several weeks ago. They've been going through feed like it was beer at a frat party. All of a sudden, I get a massive pile of drowned bees in the feeder. See the last 2 entries in my blog for a pic (Jun 29 & 30).

Whatever you believe you can or cannot do, you're right.
Website | Blog
riverrat
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 10:06:50 AM »

What kind of feeder are you using

never take the top off a hive on a day that you wouldn't want the roof taken off your house
kathyp
Universal Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »

anytime you use something deep or something they can get into, they will pile up and drown those on the bottom.  the screen came off my poultry feeder once and the next day the jar was 1/2 full of dead bees.   looks like you had a pile on in your feed dish.

use something shallow.  put rocks or something in so that bees can crawl out.  make sure it's big enough.  that dish doesn't look like it is.  you might try the poultry feeders.  you can put a lot in them and then not worry about them.  don't know if they'd fit in a TBH, but you can look at them in feed stores.

.....The greatest changes occur in their country without their cooperation. They are not even aware of precisely what has taken place. They suspect it; they have heard of the event by chance. More than that, they are unconcerned with the fortunes of their village, the safety of their streets, the fate of their church and its vestry. They think that such things have nothing to do with them, that they belong to a powerful stranger called “the government.” They enjoy these goods as tenants, without a sense of ownership, and never give a thought to how they might be improved.....

Alexis de Tocqueville
beee farmer
House Bee

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:01:49 AM »

I use fresh pine straw in a feeder, long as I dont get skimpy on how much straw I never have drowned bees.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin
mick
Queen Bee

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 05:58:33 AM »

They do that sometimes. I kinda think they get pushed in. They live a while tho, I rescue em and stick em on a bush to dry out.
BeeHopper
Queen Bee

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »

I've been feeding the big swarm I caught and placed in a TBH ever since I caught them several weeks ago. They've been going through feed like it was beer at a frat party. All of a sudden, I get a massive pile of drowned bees in the feeder. See the last 2 entries in my blog for a pic (Jun 29 & 30).

Yep, straw will help.........alot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next