Need Bees Removed?
International
Beekeeping Forums
July 25, 2014, 12:16:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Beemaster's official FACEBOOK page

Home   Help Search Calendar bee removal Login Register Chat  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Comb on top of the frames & moving the new hive.  (Read 607 times)
deverdude
New Bee

« on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:54 PM »

Hi,
I looked through my books and didn't find anything about comb being made on top of some of the frames. Should I scrape this stuff off? It looks like they're depositing nectar in this new stuff, but it also looks like a potential mess-management problem, I don't know. They seem to be drawing the newer frames well enough. Also, I want to move the hive from the current location about 4-5 feet backwards. This was only a (unfortunate but necessary) temporary spot. It'll face the same direction, simply be moved back about 4 feet and put on a more permanent stand that I just made. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I plan to seal all the exit holes and strap it shut, moving it en masse with some help.

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha
Potlicker1
House Bee

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:11:42 PM »

You shouldn't have any problem moving it back. Perhaps do it in two moves if you can. The rule is 3 feet or 3 miles otherwise they can get pretty confused. I don't think 4-5 feet straight back should be an issue.
As for the wax on top of the frames, I think it's classic of them telling you they're ready for another super. I typically scrape it off to prevent bees getting squashed as your putting things back together. Not a real big issue to loose any sleep over.
Bee-Bop
Field Bee

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »

Move the silly thing back your 4 or 5 feet all at one time !

Yeah they may be a little confused, probably not enough for you to notice.

Better to confuse them a little once then to confuse and upset them twice.

As the old saying goes - stick some grass, weeds, or a piece of brush in front of the entrance, something to make them take notice, they will find their Queen.

Many posts on the forums regarding these moves, use the search feature.

Bee-Bop

" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "
deverdude
New Bee

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:46 PM »

Lol, I will move the silly thing all at once. Thanks for your time answering, if not your candor. I did use the search feature, but for the first question. Added the second topic at the last and didn't and search. Thanks Potlicker1, I'll put together a new box.

"We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts we make the world."  

Buddha
iddee
Galactic Bee

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 09:48:49 PM »

For the first question, search for "burr comb".

"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Beemaster's Beekeeping Ring
Previous | Home | Join | Random | Next